Crew Competition Idea's

Discussion in 'Crew Leader Discussion' started by Scooby.05, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Scooby.05

Scooby.05 Senior Member

Well I was thinking what if the crew's had a competition for Tag's and lp's like the SOTW and LAOTM

So Basically the crews would have a exclusive SOTW and LAOTM to do it would be a team collab between all the members.

What are you guys thought's?

2. AG Cliche

AG Cliche Well-Known Member

Too cliche, imo.

I was thinking something along the lines of almost like a football team(sorta?). I'm just brainstorming right now, but something as the follows.

Crews will be required to battle at least 2 times a month. They can challenge an opposing team or be challenged, but must at least accept 2 per month. If a team has not met the 2 battles per month, they must drop a member of there team and he/she cannot reapply for that team for a 1 month time period, but can apply at another team.

Each battle the winner of the voting will receive 1000 credits(minimum amount, this amount can be raised though) AND if the loser of the match does not have enough credits to give to the winning team they must lose a member from their crew. The other team will have an opportunity to choose a member from the other team, IF the other team doesn't want anyone the losing team must get rid a member and he cannot rejoin the team for 1 month, but has the option of applying for other teams or another team can pick he/she up as well. (Each team will pick 3 members that cannot be picked for this including the Leader and Co-Leader so a total of 5)

If a team is defeated by the SAME team 3 battles in a row it is automatic that the other team can choose one of there members or they can still choose to take the credits.

We will have to make some rules about members not being able to leave the team they have got 'traded' too as well, but this is just kind of a rough idea at the moment, I want something different besides what EVERYONE else is doing, so hope you can consider the idea.

I see this helping out the market place as well, this would force some of the better artists to sell there art(most of the better artists being in crews) I doubt most of the teams are going to want to get rid of there members unless they just don't like them.

Ehhh?

3. [.BC.] Dr. Pepsi

[.BC.] Dr. Pepsi Well-Known Member

no from me. i hate the 'lol you gotta pay to keep your members based on some vote' thing. that just makes crews - and being in crews - pretty much arbitrary. if we start buying and selling crew members, i'll resign from the entire site. i don't want to let the results of some bloody competition break up the ties between crew members. that's BS imo.

no disrespect to you, cliche - i just don't like the connotations.

also, there are PLENTY of people (like me) who see no point in credits and who are more than happy to release stuff for free. forcing the use of creds discriminates against a LOT of people who think resources shouldn't have to be paid for.

4. AG Cliche

AG Cliche Well-Known Member

Right now the marketplace = dead. I release just about everything for free, haven't sold any of my tags in ages.

This would help get the value of credits back, because in all honesty credits are absolutely worthless to me. That is just my opinion, but I'm pretty sure a lot of you have the same feelings about credits at GR. This would also force more activity from members in your crew, besides the occasional tag everyone now and then.

Also @ Pepsi, if you win you never have to worry about losing members. Kirbir probably has enough credits to lose quiet a few times though, lol ;)

5. [.BC.] Dr. Pepsi

[.BC.] Dr. Pepsi Well-Known Member

well, even when creds were at their peak value, i didn't see much use in them (i don't buy tags, tuts, or resources).

i'm all for letting those who like creds use them, but i don't want this to end up where everyone in the crews is going crazy for no other reason than to 'prop up' the marketplace. i know lots of amazing artists who release their stuff for free just to support the community and give everyone a chance to learn. creds make that learning limited, which is never a good thing imo.

if the marketplace is dead, and folks are releasing stuff ANYWAY (for free), then isn't the ultimate purpose being served? if we have that kind of cross-pollination and distribution without needing creds, why bring them back, other than to perhaps keep up with other sites?

i remember those day where folks would buy 'top' sigs, craft tutorials from them, and then turn around and sell the tut for a lot of credits. i'm not saying that's a bad activity by itself, but i think it helped us lose track of our real focus - making graphics. it really led to a lot of stratification in the community (say your tags aren't good, all CnC ever tells you is to buy top tutorials, but you have no creds. no creds = no improvement = learning process BORKED). we were more of cogs in a factory process than a living, interacting community. it boiled down to supply and demand, led to drama about whose tags were more highly-rated, and, imo, didn't make GR a nice place to grow.

i don't want to be misunderstood - i get that the staff want GR to be a more ----- community in how we deal and interact. thing is, professionalism comes from maturity, which often goes hand-in-hand with age. you're not gonna find people complaining about scammers and various drama on places where actual artists go. to a t, they're courteous, helpful, and collaborative. it's not about who's got more skill - it's about inspiring each other in friendly environment.

now, i realize we have a younger demographic here, and i don't expect that to change any time soon. however, i've got to applaud the efforts to make an official crew. i hope that its members will inspire a higher class of interaction at GR.

6. kirbir

kirbir Senior Member

lol i have a fair few credits yes, not as many as people think now though, gave alot away :D

Im not really liking the 'losing a team member' part either to be honest hun, my crew members are like my family... try to take them away from me and your gonna die!!! lol

Have to agree with pepsi here, sorry.

7. nanSTA

nanSTA Senior Member

@Asar; Not feeling the idea. Like Cliche said 'too cliche'.
    @Cliche; I don't like the sound of members tossed around like currency. That's my only ordeal with your idea.

In all, i think crews should be more fun. Why bring credits into it. Maybe we can start scoring our wins and loses against the crews we face. The whole credit system is useless as of now, and i think its better like this, more free resources like Pepsi said. I do think crews should set a standard, and not be a lazy, so i do feel we need to set some rules on making crews battle once or twice a month. The scoring would also be in some sort a challenge to show what crew is the best. In all, crews are there for competition, a little competition never hurts.

EDIT: Also, maybe since most members dont think credits are worth to wager. Maybe they can set there own wager, maybe...resources? Wager PSD's?

8. steez

steez Banned from GR

this.
    not liking the idea russ, too much of a commonplace.

9. Scooby.05

Scooby.05 Senior Member

Pepsi's response was more at cliche's post about the team battles and the loser kicks a member out.

10. steez

steez Banned from GR

just saying i agree with pepsi on cliche's idea, then proceeded to give my insight on your idea.

11. Scooby.05

Scooby.05 Senior Member

Yea I was just trying to give ALL crews more of a reason to get active.

12. kirbir

kirbir Senior Member

Regarding the SOTW and LAOTM idea... i think it could work.

We do SOTW within our own private section (used to, haven't done one for a bit)

What kind of prizes were you thinking of? Credits, Psd's.. what? (BC just give out a sotw winner banner)

If we can get people to dedicate some time for it then it could work.. if you was thinking of a credit prize i could make a new account for it where i will have access and another member will have access (just an idea btw).

We would also need people to vote (thats one thing i could do myself, ive never joined in with anything like this).

We will need to decide where we are going to post the Crew SOTW topic/and or see if we can get another section added for this. Also i don't want 'normal' members to vote on this, alot of people vote for their friends and i don't think its very fair on the other crew members, thus why we would have to get a selected number of people to vote on this...

I need more information on what you was thinking about so i can draw up some more ideas.

13. Scooby.05

Scooby.05 Senior Member

SOTW LAOTM Guidelines and Ideas
    • We might be able to do Credits or a Trophy sig and or maybe showing the collab piece on the front page in v4(this would need to be talked about with the leaders and admins.).
    • we could do a 5-8 member minimum for the collab.
    • Maybe get a Section made into the SOTW forum already there and have it for Crew SOTW's.
    • For the Themes we could have the leaders or members post the best ones then put in a program or something to randomly choose one.
    Small list I am a person of little words but always have ideas.