"copycats" Of Virginia Tech

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AG Mountaineer, Apr 21, 2007.

1. .:Apostle:.

.:Apostle:. Well-Known Member

That actually might be true :rofl:

2. Zohair

Zohair Formerly zohBOT

Heard something like this for the first time.. Is this all happening in the Schools? Sorry I have a little knowledge in these kind of matters and so I need to ask.

3. LA-384

LA-384 Well-Known Member

Yes it happened after the shooting in that school in virginia a while back. It's not the first time, because there are allways copycats after a similar shooting. And it's not the first time there was a shooting either.

4. ferret

ferret Well-Known Member

---

Statistics and/or sources (will be updated later on):

Since the passage of the Concealed Handgun Law, the FBI Uniform Crime Report shows an 18-percent drop in handgun murders, down from 838 in 1995 to 688 in 2004; and a 13-percent drop in handgun murders per 100,000 population, down from 4.5 murders per 100,000 Texans in 1995 to 3.95 per 100,000 in 2004.

In 2005, private citizens justifiably killed 192 individuals. A justifiable homicide is killing a person in the act of self-defense or defense of another. That's killings (i.e. situations where it was necessary to do so). (FBI Uniformed Crime Report 2005--2006 not yet complete).

Violent Crime in the US -- rates from the FBI (again, complete 2006 stats not available as of yet). 1987 was the year that the CCW trend started. By 2005, only two states and the District of Colombia (Washington, D.C.) had no legal provisions for CCW. Note that the violent crime rate is falling... and falling... and falling... before rising for a jump of less than a percent in 2005.

Study of police killed in the line of duty -- studies 40 "cop killers." The highlight:

- "Researcher Davis, in a presentation and discussion for the International Assn. of Chiefs of Police, noted that none of the attackers interviewed was "hindered by any law--federal, state or local--that has ever been established to prevent gun ownership. They just laughed at gun laws."

Self-defense by a gun owner

Boston, MA's homicide rate is up 60%. Boston (and Massachusetts) get an "A" from the Brady's. They don't allow concealed carry and have some (well, next to California) of the most strict gun laws in the nations. They recieve a violent crime rate of 460.9, according to these guys. Vermot grabs a 119.7 from the same group. It's interesting to note that Vermont both allows concealed carry and does not require a license to do so. They get something around an F from the Bradys.

5. .:Apostle:.

Yes ferret, everyone who disagrees with your sacred opinions is biased, how cant they be?

That maybe true, only a fool says that he has learned everything and doesn't need to know anything anymore.

However, you most certainly could use lessons in manners of debate :)

Do not put words in my mouth please. Comparing cars to guns is beyond ridiculous.
    Its true that tobacco, alcohol...etc. kills more people, but we are not talking how many kills can you score with Tobacco , drugs and guns are we?

Things like alcoholism are addictions, so how can you compare that to guns? are guns addictive ?

That loon with the gun shouldn't have one if there were stricter gun laws. and if there was tighter security on campus and class rooms this will most likely never happen.

hat only "law-abiding citizens" apply for and receive carrying-concealed weapons (CCW) licenses and that more people carrying hidden guns will make our society safer. However, it is a fallacy that only "good guys" have these licenses, and that the people carrying the weapons are always responsible, mature, and abide by the laws. Due to lax CCW laws in many states, abusive husbands, mentally unstable individuals, people with a grudge, and people who are simply careless or uneducated about firearms safety can and do get CCW permits, posing a potential danger to their families and communities.

According to the Florida Department of State, Division of Licensing, from April 30, 1997 through January 31, 2000, 1,041 Florida CCW license-holders had their licenses revoked for committing crimes after they received their license. Moreover, not all Florida licensees involved in altercations with the law had their licenses suspended.

In August of 2000, the Violence Policy Center released License to Kill III, a report that details the number of concealed weapons licensees in Texas who have been arrested for crimes after getting a concealed weapons permit. Using data from the Texas Department of Public Safety, the Violence Policy Center found that Texas concealed handgun license holders were arrested for a total of 3,370 crimes between January 1, 1996 and April 30, 2000, including very serious violent offenses like murder, rape, sexual assault, and weapons-related crimes. An analysis of the Texas data also reveals that, between 1996 to 1999, Texas CCW permit holders were arrested for weapon-related offenses at a rate that was 66% higher than that of the general population of Texas.

Furthermore, an April 2001 article in the Salt Lake Tribune, reported that "scores of Utahans are having their concealed-gun licenses revoked for criminal violations – including felonies and firearms offenses" since the state began running daily background checks on the state's concealed-weapons permit holders.[1] The daily background checks, which began in February 2000, crosscheck new criminal convictions and protective orders against the names of concealed-carry permit holders. Previously, such screening was only done every two years. In the first year of the daily checks, the state experienced a 241% increase in the number of revocations, with the single biggest reason for license revocations being the fact that the permit holder is wanted on an outstanding warrant.

The following incidents, obtained from newspaper reports, involve people who were legally licensed to carry concealed weapons. It is important to note that these represent only a fraction of the total number of incidents involving CCW licensees that happen every week. Often, a suspect's status as a CCW licensee is not reported by law enforcement or the media, nor is that information easily available to the public. If a disproportionate number of incidents seem to occur in Florida, it is in part due to the fact that Florida has relatively open CCW records so a shooter's status as a CCW licensee can be determined. Not surprisingly, the gun lobby fights to keep CCW records closed.

http://www.bradycampaign.org/facts/researc...cident&menu=gvr

includes samples of offences/incidents by CCW holders.

6. AG Spitz

AG Spitz Well-Known Member

There arent any school shootings here in uruguay. but back when i lived in miami i had a friend that went to a school were some kid killed another kid in the bathroom with a knife ....

7. ferret

ferret Well-Known Member

8. .:Apostle:.

Exactly, which means in your own words that you are biased too, so could you please stop acting like a child in every debate, running around these types of topics and screaming your head off BIAS BIAS BIAS ....?

Thanks for the "directions", doesn't change the fact that you should learn the manners of debating and how to debate respectably without resorting to name calling and personal attacks as from my experience with you in several other topics show that you are incapable of restraining yourself from calling whoever disagrees with you an ignorant or an idiot and sometimes much worse.

I'll make it simple.

Cars:

-Used for transport
    -Can be lethal if not driven safely (i.e. the accident you described)
    -Countless traffic laws to make sure every driver is driving safely
    -More deaths related to car accidents yes, but they are NOT murders, they are called ACCIDENTS.

It will not totally deter a criminal, but it will dramatically decrease his chances of getting a gun to use. Gun control will NOT prevent gun crime, it will be very stupid to think so, however it will definitely decrease gun related crime imo.

That article was written by H. Sterling who is known to be --- gun rights and anti-global warming, so...

About the Bradys, I dont really care about them, i picked that specific article from their website because it contained statistics and facts from various legitimate sources (imo).

9. ferret

ferret Well-Known Member

10. SushimanGelo

SushimanGelo Well-Known Member

what happened in virginia tech could have been avoided... but in the end don't get shocked if something like this happens again, not just in the US but other countries as well...

11. Fargo2003

Fargo2003 Well-Known Member

Does anyone think about if you were the people that just looked there as your friends or fellow class mates took a bullet? and you didn't do anything about it?

12. ferret

ferret Well-Known Member

The most they could have done was to rush the shooter. The sacrifices made by guys like that Israeli professor were awe-inspirinng, that that man would willingly lay down his life for those others. Nothing but respect for him and others who did similar acts.

13. Shinobi

Shinobi Senior Member

I haven't heard anything down here in Alabama.

14. domkantthink

domkantthink Well-Known Member

There was a bomb scare at one of the high schools here in colorado and there were multiple threats and such....

15. .:Apostle:.

Iam the one who resorted to personal attacks in the first place? bull---- read you first post that replied to mine please, seems like you have temporary amnesia or something of that sort.
    You have your facts and i have mine, so in my eyes you have crossed the line into ignorant land too =).

Yes it does, if you cant debate respectably , you shouldn't be debating at all.

Does the following relate to the discussion?

And I assure you , your statements in the other topics were the most uncivilized that i have ever seen.
    I think you need to tone down your sense of superiority to other human beings, telling them whats ignorant and whats not, it leads to dangerous things.

Iam not discussing how offensive you can get, however iam eager to see the "beginning of how you can get" feel free to pm me.
    Iam shooting every individual word that has no place in a debate, i haven't seen a debates (except yours ofcourse) that opponents start calling each other ignorants and name calling in general.

I could only think of 2 obvious things to include there so i didnt bother posting them, if it makes you feel comfortable, there you go:

- Hobbies
    - murder/self defense.

Again, I will make it simple for you.

A psychotic person determined to kill a few ppl today..
    He has a gun and a car, which will he use to execute his plan?

When you have that many guns in circulation, you can not expect a bill like that to be effective immediately once it is applied... it takes several years.
    However,

As you can see, more gun laws more = more prosecutions and laws enforced.
    However as the article states, in 1999 gun crimes went much up higher due to the lack of action of federal prosecutors, which has nothing to do with the law itself.

Your point exactly? if these guns were within the law to be owned (which it isnt as you said) they would've entered Taiwan.
    Just because they have a total ban on firearms , doesnt mean that will stop blackmarkets...But in this case they were.

True, but gradually increasing gun restrictions will help through time, you cannot expect a bill that bans firearms totally in the US , thats insane tbh.
    But gradual gun restrictions will help decrease the guns/ammunition in circulation.

Not interested in discussing the previous brady article, and Sterlings anymore...Because they both contain facts and statistics whom each is interpreting for their own agenda (no iam not avoiding it read throughly what i said).