"copycats" Of Virginia Tech

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AG Mountaineer, Apr 21, 2007.

1. [.BC.] .Sacrifice

[.BC.] .Sacrifice Banned from GR

This is simply what i'm saying that it's no good that people are allowed to bear arms without license's, these things can happen anytime with that.

2. Fargo2003

Fargo2003 Well-Known Member

I can't believe people are that stupid to do something like that. I mean come on why do people want to have fun killing people? Just so they can be "cool"

3. AG Mountaineer

AG Mountaineer Well-Known Member

I really don't know what can drive a person to do this to be honest.

4. Fluid

Fluid Well-Known Member

Their was a bomb threat in my school on 4/20 and we all got to leave :D

5. SM Foo

SM Foo Well-Known Member

In british columbia we have already had 2 bomb threats one at a university where my sister goes and the other at my high school

6. spartan117

spartan117 Senior Member

We had a bomb threat last year and we got to leave school and two kids were arrested.

On Friday though, another kid was arrested. This guy is like a Nazi. He wears jeans rolled up with white suspenders that he wrote "White Power" on and he always wears combat boots and dark blue collared shirts and greases his hair back so that he looks like a Nazi. Apparently he brought a gun to school Friday and intended to shoot everyone up but someone alerted the campus police, and they stopped him before he came in.

7. GuitarGuru

GuitarGuru Well-Known Member

There was a shooting threat at my school this year. Some kid threatened to shoot up a pep rally at my school, when everyone from school was crowded into a gym (at least 5k people). But thank god it didn't happen. And about the second article. Why did he get in trouble for a having a concealed handgun. Is it illegal to do that where you live?

8. ferret

ferret Well-Known Member

Depending on where he lives, yes. Two states currently do not allow concealed carry of a firearm. If he lives in one of the forty eight others, either he didn't have a permit in the first place (big no-no), he didn't have the permit on him when he had the weapon (still a no-no, but not as big of a deal as the first), or he carried it onto someplace where it is illegal to do so (school, post office, state capitol building, federal buildings, etc. etc.).

9. .:Apostle:.

.:Apostle:. Well-Known Member

Allowing weapons to be carried in the streets imo is ridiculous, if you "have" to own a gun for self defense it shouldnt leave the house, there is no way police can tell if this person has a weapon in his bag or whatever and is mad enough to start a massacre.
    It makes the police's job even harder.

10. ferret

ferret Well-Known Member

Does it affect you/didn't a debate on this very topic just get locked?

Believe it or not, cities and states with concealed carry laws have lower crime rate than those without/those with very restricted laws. 2.5 million violent crimes are stopped each year before they even begin/escalate by CCW permit holders.

11. GroundZero

GroundZero Well-Known Member

a school in my town had a bomb scare. it's scary that people somehow find the need to do such things..

12. .:Apostle:.

Yes it does affect me in a way, and the topic got locked yes, because only a few posters kept it civil.

2.5 million? are you sure that is accurate?

What of one, just one of those CCW permit holders snaps? or in this case goes vigilante, or tries to take revenge from someone who offended him ?
    Holding a gun (let alone a CCW) doesn't make you immune from mental breakdowns or other psychological/psychotic diseases.

13. ferret

ferret Well-Known Member

No, but there's a pretty good chance that you won't, seeing as they ------uate you for that type of stuff before you even begin the process to get a permit. Something as small as a DUI can disqualify you; if you show signs of those tendancies, you're not going to even come close to the permit.

A policeman carries a gun to protect himself and other citizens. Guns are safety/rescue tools - not significantly different from your cell phone, your spare tire, your flashlight, your fire extinguisher or your first aid kit. Any of these tools can be used for good or evil. A policeman will carry all of the above in his patrol car; so will a first-responder; so will any self-sufficient responsible citizen.

And, for the record,

"Of the 14,000 licenses issued in Oregon, only 4 individuals (0.03%) were convicted of criminal (though not necessarily violent) use or possession of a firearm." Wikipedia, not cited.

"The lone exception was Florida, where the murder rate started an immediate, steady decline. Before the law, Floridians were about 36 percent more likely to be murdered than other Americans; after a few years, the Florida rate was equal to or slightly less than the national rate. As for other violent crimes, Florida was the worst state in the nation both before and after the new law. Florida's overall violent-crime rate, however, rose much more slowly since 1987 than did the national violent-crime rate. "

"We also examined violent-crime data in California, where permit policies vary widely by county. Counties that issue permits liberally had lower violent-crime rates than counties with restrictive policies; restrictive counties had lower rates than counties with prohibitive policies. A graduate student at Southwest Texas State University compared states that adopted concealed-carry laws with demographically similar states that did not. This study found strong support for the hypothesis that concealed-carry laws reduce the homicide rate, and weak (but still positive) support for a reduction in robbery and serious assault."

"In Florida, where 315,000 permits have been issued, there are only five known instances of violent gun crime by a person with a permit. This makes a permit-holding Floridian the cream of the crop of law-abiding citizens, 840 times less likely to commit a violent firearm crime than a randomly selected Floridian without a permit." (David Kopel "More Permits Mean Less Crime..." Los Angeles Times, Feb. 19, 1996, Monday, p. B-5)"

Source

Private firearms stop crime (2.5 million statistic)

Similar 2.5 million statistic

Ignorance truly is bliss.

14. .:Apostle:.

ahh personal attacks... again its nothing unlike you, you can never hold a debate and keep it clean -_-

Anyway coming up with a 14 year old statistic and using it to validate your argument and calling me ignorant is... pathetic.

Please help me out here, I cant see how a cell phone, spare tire, flash light, first aid kit and a fire extinguisher can be used to end life?

Still, nothing guarantees that after getting your permit you will be in the same mental condition that you were in when you were getting it.
    So you are basically saying that there is a pretty good chance that a person wont have a mental breakdown "after" getting a permit?
    I dont think dangerous things like that should be left for chances.

15. LA-384

LA-384 Well-Known Member

[sarcastic]
    Cell Phone: Force it into someones throat so it will block the airway. the victim will suffocate
    Spare tire: Throw it against someone with all the power you got. It might break someones neck, resulting in a possible kill
    Flash Light: Bash it into someones head, if you repeat it enough times, the victim will die due to bloodloss or braindamage
    First aid kit: use the bandage to block the victims airway
    fire extinguisher: -> See flashlight
    [/sarcastic]

Don't take this comment serious, it's there to show how ridiculous it is to say that guns are the same as cell phones, spare tires, flash lights, first aid kids and fire extinguishers