Computer Problems

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by kingcraigj, Feb 25, 2007.

1. kingcraigj

kingcraigj Well-Known Member

hey guys, was on my computer last night just playing age of empires 3 then all of a sudden i hear a werid noise like the hd or cpu shutting down then 1 min later my comp crashs then a blue screen comes up recomending me to restart. so i restart by pushin the button on my tower, then it goes to the dos, then its says pleae insert boot disk. but the beeps when the tower loads are all fine it just wont boot.

please post you help will send 100 creds to the person thats fixes the problem, o ye and the computer is like 7 years old but ive changed the gfx card and ram since ive had it.

so if you guys think it might be worht getting a new comp please help lol!!!

:wub:

2. Veej

Veej Well-Known Member

Not sure about the Blue Screen bit, but my old computer used to crash when gaming/performing processor-intensive tasks.

I had an AMD Athlon 3200+ which was found to be overheating. I'd recommend downloading a program like Everest (Google: Everest Download) and checking your temp's. AMD say the maximum should be 70 Celcius.

I used to get around it temporarily by switching off the PSU switch (located at the back of the computer), leaving it for 2-3 mins, switching it back on and then see what happens.

You may not be encountering the same problem, but just give it a go, hopefully it'll work :)

3. kingcraigj

the computer which these problems ocour on is upstairs im on the laptop at the mo the pc wont boot so i cant check the temps :S

4. Veej

Veej Well-Known Member

You could try and check the temperatures through the BIOS too maybe?

Does the computer actually switch on? If so, does it recognise your hard drive?

5. kingcraigj

ye its turns on but i randomly hear the cpu shutting down like the buzzing noise just fayding out, so i duno, how do i use the bio to check the temps?

6. Veej

Veej Well-Known Member

It varies from BIOS to BIOS, but find the make and model of your motherboard, and either post it here or do a simple google search yourself to find out how.

I haven't done it on mine for a while but next time I boot the computer I'll check and get back to you, but in the meantime a Google search is likely to be faster!

And:
    1. Do you see the Windows XP Loading Screen?
    2. Is your computer detecting your hard drive?

You need to find out if your motherboard is detecting the hard drive. If it is, you'll probably have corrupted the Windows install on your HDD or something so you'll need to reinstall Windows using a recovery disk. If it isn't detecting your HDD, there could be quite a lot of possible causes.

7. [.Xero.]

[.Xero.] Well-Known Member

Check the wiring inside your tower.

8. Trax

Trax Well-Known Member

I remember a thread with a list of descriptions of beeping and buzzing sounds the computer makes. Someone can link it?

9. kingcraigj

ye it was me that posted the list of beeps :P but there are no beeps.

well actully there is now i left the comp over night and now i tryed to turn it on and there is loads of beeps and ---- so i duno, i think its the cpu over heating or something, because it let me log in last night but when it was all loading up it crashed then a blue screen came up so really duno, i think im guna call the computer repair dudes or buy a new tower.

:S thanks for the help guys keep the suggestions coming, i'll rep all help :D

10. Thissone

Thissone Active Member

Ok, first things first I am a pc repair guy by trade and I usually do not like giving advice but in this instiance I will becuse I cannot see you buying a new tower when you prob dont need one (unless you realy want a new tower then by all means carry on) but you are giving me to little info to work with. The blue screen of death means that either your software is conflicting with another piece of software or there is a hardware issue. the insert boot disk means that either your hard drive quit (if it has booted again even for a second like you said it crashed before it loaded all the way then the drive is prob good still) or the power connector has devoloped a issue not unheard of even when no one has been inside the tower or the wide thin EIDE cable broke or the bios on the motherboard lost the settings (possible but doubtfull in this case) try changing the power connector ( dont go buy a new power supply just find a spare plug or swap with the cd/dvd rom to check) and the EIDE cable on the drive ($5 fix) if you can post more info on the errors.

11. kingcraigj

ok i'll start from the begining :P

was playing on a game computer crashed then a blue screen came up saying, if you have recently installed new hardware it is adviced you remove it ect ect...

so i restart and it gets to the black screen with white writing, then says boot failure insert boot disk or something similar. so i just turn off the pc for awhile and i try again in 2 hours.

the computer loads gets to the login screen, then i log in, loads up object dock loads up and seems stable then all of a suden i hear the humming noise (not sure might be cpu) just turn off then i get the blue screen again.

everytime it crashes it may be the cpu over heating well i duno.

thanks thissone, im pritty much stuck here, :P i wana make sure that i cant do anythin before goin into the case and messing with wires, because im not really a pc --- :P its and old pc but it is also a very good 1 well was but its the harddrive i dont want to loose.

and i dont know the make of the mobo, i havnt seen any names on it and was made by the company "tiny" so i duno

thanks for help guys!

12. .rotex

.rotex Well-Known Member

What was the blue screen error? If you know the blue screen error search microsoft.com for your error.

13. Veej

Veej Well-Known Member

Thanks kingcraigj :)

When the computer first 'crashed', did you still hear some fans inside the case running?

Well, I'm not an expert either but I had a similar problem in the past so thought maybe it could be the same.

Anyway, good luck in getting it fixed or getting a new one!

14. PenTrik

PenTrik New Member

I'm -guessing- you have a hard drive failure. If you have any spare parts, swap it out.

You can try chucking your hard drive into the refrigerator (forget freezer or not) and see if that helps.

I would advise you to download a copy of knoppix and burn it onto a boot disk (Make sure you set your bios to boot from CD). Through that, you recover all your data, and then you reformat everything (or chuck it into a freezer).

15. .RaMBo

.RaMBo Well-Known Member

Plain and simple it's a hard drive problem. You might be able to reuse the hard drive by reinstalling the OS or do a Windows repair. Also it could be a hardware problem where the hard drive just died and you just need to replace it. My question is, did you ever defrag your hard drive. No defragging your hard drive could cause this kind of problem.