Computer Newbie Needs Help

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by theIMmigrAntHOE, Dec 20, 2006.

1. theIMmigrAntHOE

theIMmigrAntHOE Well-Known Member

ok here is my dilema. i was thinking about upgrading to one of the new intel core 2 duo processors but before i do i want to know is it going to be a significant improvment over my current processor or not

btw this is the processor i have now

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819112203

edit: i use my computer for gaming and everything else multimedia if that helps you guys out

EDIT: ok here are my specs

Processor: Intel Celeron D 346 3.06GHz
    RAM: 512 mb (definatly upgrading)
    Motherboard: Gamila/Giovani/Neon series (basically crap. should probably upgrade this too)
    Graphics Card: Radeon 9250
    Harddrive(s): 100gb
    Optical drive(s): CD-ROM/Writer, DVD-ROM/Writer
    Other addons: use common sense
    Cooling: stock

2. arbiter2005

arbiter2005 Well-Known Member

Depends what motherboard you have...You need a socket 775 motherboard to be able to use it

Arbiter

3. theIMmigrAntHOE

really? i had no idea. thanks man. but do you think that a core 2 duo will improve over my current processor to justify the cost of a new processor and maybe a new motherboard or should i just stick with my current one

4. arbiter2005

What processor do you have at the moment?

Arbiter

5. theIMmigrAntHOE

6. arbiter2005

Well i only have 3.0ghz Pentium 4 HT And it does me fine. What are you using your pc for? Gaming?

Arbiter

7. theIMmigrAntHOE

i use it for gaming and a lot of mulitmedia stuff like video editing music and of course image editing

8. arbiter2005

You could upgrade. I mean my 3.0ghz runs most things but its bottom line for some games now...Ive seen games need 3.0ghz now and thats topping mine..Its really up to you..You would prolly use it for running more then one big program at once...Like editing a video and playing a game at the same time

9. MiCust

MiCust Well-Known Member

Your processor will suffice for most of the things you want to do for the next little while. The more practical way, I feel anyways, to see more of an improvement out of your computer would be to buy some extra RAM (If you're even low on RAM - I dunno, you didnt follow the posting instructions ;)) Upgradin RAM if you're currently low will allow you to multitask with less lag. If you're really into the gaming and want to run the best games at high setting you might want to get a video card, but that's gonna be a whole new story.. Just post the rest of your specs for now, and some of the more knowledgable guys here will be glad to help you out.

10. theIMmigrAntHOE

oh my bad. i did not relize that there were instructions for posting in this section. i will keep that in mind the next time i post in here

but anyways i was thinking it over and i decided that i am gonna worry about upgrading my ram rather then my processor and if i really feel the need to upgrade my processor later on then i might look into overclocking.

thanks for the help anyways guys

11. Fourstar

Fourstar Well-Known Member

here, there, and sometimes in your backyard
    about 2 gigs of ram would do like mine, for gaming... maybe you could upgrade you video card too, what do you have?

12. ViperAFK

ViperAFK Well-Known Member

a Core 2 duo would be much better than your processor, but depending on how much ram you have you could update that first.

13. theIMmigrAntHOE

ok i edited my first post with as much of the specs of my computer that i know of.

i will try to figure out my motherboard now. all i know is that it came with my computer (which is a HP)

14. Coolguy

Coolguy Well-Known Member

well, like they said, if your a hardcore gamer, and thinking of playing high end games, you should get a new processor and ram. If you have 1 stick of ram now, get the same other one and make it dual 1 gig cause saves money and easier. And a core 2 duo should be fine

15. BTK

BTK Well-Known Member

Yes, you should get a core 2 duo. Any c2d will do better than that crap Pentium D.

Also upgrade your gfx card to a 8800 series if you can. Especially RAM alsol

And what is your PSU

you'd be better off building a whole new pc