Coming Up With Domain For Portfolio

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by travmanx, Sep 20, 2008.

1. travmanx

travmanx Senior Member

I have my site completely ready to be placed online and all, however the one thing I have not come up with is a domain name. I know alot of people have theirs set as there first and last name, however mine is 13 characters long, who would want to type that :(. I have thought about to89 (initials, birth year), however giving away your age probably wouldn't be a good idea when a customer only sees me as a 19 year old, and some other guy as a 30 year old... who would you choose... <_<

On every GFX/game/site forum I've ever been on I've been known as travmanx, but I'm not real well known

I do: Photoshop/Illustrator/Fireworks, 3DS Max, After Effects, and Apophysis if this helps anyone...

Thank you, if someone comes up with something I'll give credits if I like...

Travis

2. diverseartist

diverseartist Well-Known Member

whats ur last name

and id chose who ever had the best designs......

3. travmanx

travmanx Senior Member

O'Donnell

4. diverseartist

travoart.com

change ur nick to travo before u get anymore publicity

5. travmanx

travmanx Senior Member

Not a bad idea.. its simple and quick. However after saying it out loud a few times it doesn't roll off the tongue flowingly

6. Zohair

Zohair Formerly zohBOT

Trevorartworks.com

That looks pretty solid too ;->

7. Broken

Broken Well-Known Member

"Nicks" as Diverse said, become useless if you're looking into serious design. You will only be recognised by your real name so make sure it's in there somehow. Something simple, effective, avoid any form of e-nick.

8. pianoman0723

pianoman0723 Well-Known Member

odonnelldesigns.com

its a lot to type but its memorable.

9. travmanx

travmanx Senior Member

i really like that :) anymore?

10. Papermache

Papermache Well-Known Member

Traviso.com .net
    Travodo.com .net
    Todonell.com .net
    Travisodo.com .net
    T(middle name first initial)O.com .net

11. dementia

dementia Well-Known Member

Nearly any design portfolios with 'designs' or 'designz' or 'graphics' or anything like that will fail. It may sound nice, and it may sound catchy, but to your average individual hiring someone for designs, it seems unprofessional. 'Art' is one of the few words you can use in the URL to bring any form of professional basis just to the name of your site.

12. Nicasus

Nicasus Well-Known Member

www.nicasus.com

Oh snap, that badass domain is already taken.

Uhm,

I'd say try keeping your e-name in it, not your real name as there are probably more people on this planet who's name is O'Donnel etc.

Get an e-name, Google it if someone already has it, and use it.

:)

13. travmanx

travmanx Senior Member

See people that actually know me, know me by my real name... I'm not widely known online. I think about going with TEO89.com / TEO.com if not takin

14. .ZERO

.ZERO Nigga wit a PSD

*initial*-*surname*.com

15. diverseartist

travo short for Travis O.
    travoart.com

The comment that was stated above is absolutely correct. In the ----- world people will pay less attention to people that are not known. Our time spent on global chat room, even though we may not notice, really can make a name for us in tomorrows society. Most people you chat with on these forums, design forums, etc. are around 15-25 years old. By the time YOUR 25 these people you've seen on the internet may own the biggest design company ever, or they may live under a bridge...haha.

Steer away from wierd names such as travmanX. TravManX. o0o0o0 X at the end of his name hes cool. No.

By creating an online nickname that is similar to our real names yet creative this really does add to how many people 'know you'. Most people have subconsciously or consciously been taught to not user your real name on the internet bla bla bla. Ignore that bull----...unless your a girl then maybe don't ignore it haha.

Anyways....lets say for example I go by the name of diverseartist and I'm the best designer on GR and I have 1 million credits, I have a shop that makes websites for other people, etc. Now just as an example take a CEO browsing through 'newly graduated students' doesn't know that I am the great designer that built him a website on GR 5 years ago. Now if my nickname was similar to my real name he may think "Wow I think I've seen a similar name on a piece of art way back 5 years ago when I was browsing GR.....this guy was amazing." Boom he contacts that guy instead of the BEST DESIGNER ON DEVIANTART because the best designer on deviantart went by some wierd ass name XbestDesign3rX and even tho he remembers that there is no name on the list that is anything close to that (hopefully haha)

Name-Surname.com
    Reminds CEOs going down a graduated list of my name? Yes. Creative? Hell ------ing no.

Anyways my other nick I use on all sites is ca galindo for Carlos A. and my last name...also my website.
    In spanish this may be read as 'caga' 'lindo' or in english as 'pretty ----'.

cagalindo.com
    Reminds CEOs going down a graduated list of my name? Yes. Creative? Yes.

TravoArt.com
    Reminds CEOs going down a graduated list of my name? I'll give this one 75% yes. Creative? Yes.

Anything with odonnel
    Reminds CEOs going down a graduated list of my name? Yes. Creative? Maybe. BUT if someone told me any website with O'Donnel it would take me a bazillion tries to spell that ---- right I would probably give up. I don't even thiink I've spelled it right in this post, haha.

Trevorartworks.com
    Reminds CEOs going down a graduated list of my name? I'll give this one 50% yes because [read on]. Creative? Yes. BUT his name is Travis not Trevis.

PS: TEO.com and TEO.net are taken.
    In my opinion TEO89 could work. Does it remind that CEO of your real name tho? Hmmmm I'll give that one a 50% yes. Creative? Yes.

GL