Choosing An Mp3 Player

Discussion in 'Spam Heaven' started by nym_kalahi, Jan 27, 2007.

1. nym_kalahi

nym_kalahi Well-Known Member

alright, as amazing as it may sound, i do not have an mp3 player. i've always just used my portable cd player for whenever i feel like listening to music on the road, or whatever. but the time has come for that to change! i want to get a good mp3 player, and i'd like some help choosing one ^_^

of course, there's always the ipod, but i'd like to know if there are any other decent mp3 players out there, with a decent price, 5+ gb (~10-20 would be fine), and of course, a good battery life. i dont really care much about how "cool" it looks (never judge a book by its cover, right?).

any suggestions? :)

2. Slasher

Slasher Tekken Lord

iPod. No more questions.

3. Lennox

Lennox Well-Known Member

Ya Ipod is most user-friendly and widely known. Much more accessories for it.

4. ghettolt

ghettolt Well-Known Member

Here are your choices when buying an mp3 player:

A) iPod nano
    B) iPod video
    C) iPod mini
    D) Other iPods

Lol... but if seriously, there's always a psp. It's kinda big compared to mp3 players, but on the good side:

1) 250$
    2) Games
    3) Videos
    4) Wi-Fi Internet

5. `Kakashi

`Kakashi Banned from GR

6. Scooby.05

Scooby.05 Senior Member

I love it when people say don't get an iPod and don't bother backing it up with why. At least give him reasons to choose something else.

I've had 3 iPods and a Creative Zen Vision M, and I can honestly say that I prefer the iPod over the Creative by far. The iPods are easy to use and the interface is as simple as you can really get (the menus on the actual iPod and the scroll wheel). My Vision M's screen went completely black within a month of me using it, and I never even watched a video on it before then. I returned it and got an iPod video 30 gig and am entirely satisfied with it. I highly recommend the iPod if you want something easy to use and reliable. People always complain about iPods not working properly, but I've never had an issue with mine (either 3). The only issue came from iTunes after version 7 came out, but the update to fix it came out within a week.

To sum it up, I suggest the iPod.

7. Broken

Broken Well-Known Member

The Sony Walkman one isnt bad, atm im using a Samsung something.

iPods are over-rated.

8. `Kakashi

`Kakashi Banned from GR

Here are some pictures of what happened to my old iPod 1 week after the warranty ran out-
    http://lithium.epicfluxhosting.com/Uploads/ipod1.jpeg

http://lithium.epicfluxhosting.com/Uploads/ipod6.jpeg
    ^ After the screen died, I started to hear rattling inside of the case. Since it was already dead and I wasn't going to pay 150 dollars to fix it, I decided to open it. When I opened the case, the ribbon cable fell right out of the case. That is why the player would not turn on! You can see where the cable was broken off in the picture.

That is why I hate iPod's, they are poor quality "mp4" players. They care about making mass quantites of the players and focusing on quantity not quality.

To water it down, Apple skips corners.

9. Kawakill

Kawakill Well-Known Member

Ipod worked fine for me .. only they get fast scratches.. I soll mine and now I juse my mobile phone.. much better, good quality, always with you etc..

10. Equivalent Exchange

Equivalent Exchange Well-Known Member

Agreed Axiom.

Anyways, as you can tell, I would recommend an iPod or Creative mp3 player.

iPod has a good reputation, and for good reason. Clean interface, good audio quality, and its relatively reliable (at least mine has been). There are downfalls of course. No FM tuning, and certain playback options that are available on a creative arn't on an iPod (such as "Track Once").

Creative is also a good choice, but I've found them much less reliable in the past. Both of my creative mp3 players have had headphone jack issues. You can send it in to be fixed, but if you're a heavy user then thats a pain in the ass (especially if they deem it outside the warranty). However, the audio quality is superior to the iPod's (although you probably won't notice the difference). the Zen Vision:M is bulkier than the iPod, and their touch/software interface I've never found too appealing (over responsive at some times, under responsive at other times, and then sometimes no response at all). I did find the Zen micro quite nice though (it was the player I had prior to my iPod).

I'd personally say iPod over creative, but if you wan't to be "different," Creative isn't a bad choice.

Apple iPods
    iPod Video
    iPod Nano

Creative
    Zen Vision:M
    Zen MicroPhoto

However, I can also tell you don't get a Zune. Why? The selling out to the music industry, mainly, in addition to the fact everything you put on it is DRM'd. I'm not anti-microsoft, but the ass kissing the Zune is involved in (with the music industry) puts me at a never-going-to-buy-one stance (unless of course they change).

There's my opinion, hope its helpful.

Edit:
    Anthem, link the images, don't put them directly in your post.

11. TrueFantom

TrueFantom Well-Known Member

4GB or 8GB

Ipod Nano.

Just picked up my 2nd Nano today, after my first went out after 1 year and 1 Month.

12. Scooby.05

Scooby.05 Senior Member

+Anthem, I don't know what you did with that iPod outside of listening or what happened with it in a pocket or something, but I've never seen a screen do that out of the blue whether it's an iPod or cell phone or anything else with a display like that. On top of that, I've never before heard of ribbon cables loosening themselves like that and simply falling out when the case is opened, unless the cable was never on in the first place in which case the iPod wouldn't have turned on from the start. Either you got a fluke iPod, or you really tried to screw it up.

13. beastiekid

beastiekid Well-Known Member

get a ZUNE, GIGABEAT or a ZEN VISION W

14. Luno

Luno Well-Known Member

iPod nano :)

15. Lennox

Lennox Well-Known Member

The reason your ipod died is because you took ----ty care of it.

I've had my nano for 1.5 years and it still works perfectly just as the day I got it. Just keep it outa your back pockets, and get a plastic/rubber type case for it.