Choosing A Desktop..

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by XnightmareX, Jun 11, 2006.

1. XnightmareX

XnightmareX Well-Known Member

The one twisted suggested looks pretty good right now, although, if I could get something better in my budget, that would be cool. Basiclly as long as it has:

1 gb ram
    200 gb hardrive
    256 mb video card

I'm fine, but you guys have to help me choose the other stuff, because I'm completly lost after that.

Btw:Is it really cheaper to build your own?

2. xelinkstempaccount

xelinkstempaccount Well-Known Member

mb on the vid card don't matter much pst 64(the clock speed and the number of piplines do)

as for it being cheaper it depends. if you don't need a monitor or bundled crap it's normally cheaper past $500-600 if you don't overclock... albiet you get higher quality parts(better motherboard power supply and ram, which OEMs cheap out on) and you CAN overclock... you can easily set that 1.8GHz opteron to 2.6(just my example) while it costs 1/3rd the cost of the 2.6GHz model. For around $1000-1300 and some time and patience, you can get a computer that for the most part games better than a $4000 alienware, HP, eMachines, Dell, etc. system, overclocking helping a lot for bang/$(OCing is essentially setting the part to run above the factory recomendation, essentially all parts are made in the same plan in the same way and the ones which test the best become the better more expensive part and the lower parts are ones which tested slightly worse[or are the high parts remarked because there's a shortage on the lowend, this is quite common] OEMs would never allow anyone to overclock their equipment because there's a liability risk and because noone would buy the better parts.)

for 900ish you could get

Core2 Duo $209(OCs like mad and performs increadibly well even w/o OC)
    2GB DDR2-800 ram $180ish
    250GB HDD $85
    decent motherboard $100ish
    antec tx1... case/PSU combo $100
    DVD burner $35-40
    x1800XT $220

which would essentially play every game on max or near max

3. XnightmareX

XnightmareX Well-Known Member

That build you posted sounds awesome. In fact, Im probly gonna build that, thanks ;). Btw, are those all the parts you need, or do you need other things also? Thanks alot for your help!

4. johndapunk FTW

johndapunk FTW Senior Member

matters what you have right now. we wont know exact good mobo's and their prices until they start coming out compatable for core 2 duo.