Cartoonish Signatures - Tips ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by n00bZor, Nov 2, 2008.

1. n00bZor

n00bZor Member

Hello..

I am in the process of making a signature for a friend, and I am somewhat stuck.
    He requested something in the lines of WW2, from the movie "Heavy Metal". But I am having trouble attacking this, due to the really bad resources out there. Plus, I don't have much experience making cartoon looking sigs.

So I was wondering if any of you had some idea's, tips, tricks, experience in making cartoon signatures.. with limited resources.

The best I could find was this picture:

http://img98.imageshack.us/my.php?image=heavy9by0.jpg

Most of the movie clips, wallpapers, screens of this movie is in SO BAD quality, it's almost impossible to work with. That picture was the best I could find.

Any help is much appreciated !

-n00b

2. inverse

inverse Banned from GR

Tell him to stop being picky. Chances are there simply isn't high resolution images from the movie. Since it's a cartoon animation, probably the highest quality images you'll get are screen caps.

3. n00bZor

n00bZor Member

Yea you got a point, I will post what I got so far.. Then maybe some of you can add a few suggestions to improve it.

4. siaskier

siaskier Member

Ask him make himself.

5. Ambiguity

Ambiguity Well-Known Member

Everyone hid in your closet so I'm under your bed
    I was gonna say this on another computer but it stopped working, if you can find a bigger picture you like, even if it's low quality you can vector the image provided he's a good friend(I say that because it usually takes a long time to vector something). As for ideas for the tag itself you could make it a vector tag (I'd use interesting abstract shapes).

6. n00bZor

n00bZor Member

Ok again, Im not just gonna give up cause I don't know how to do something. If I don't know something, I will learn it..
    He only requested it, and I agreed to do it. I don't HAVE to make it, but I want to. Plus it gives me a chance to learn something new...

Here is what I got so far, with what I could find. Looks crappy I know, but I was hoping maybe some of you genius artist could help out? Give me some tips, on how to improve it.
    PLEASE..

http://img56.imageshack.us/my.php?image=heavymetaljq9.jpg

7. ricknl01

ricknl01 Well-Known Member

For the resources you have, thats a pretty good job, its just i dont really like the text, but what else can you do..
    the stock.. indeed, its horrible, you have no other choice then putting it in the right corner, the way you did it
    stocks like these are hard to work with, but i think you pretty much did the best you could, but here's what i would do

I would make the signature a bit more darker and 'scarier', i dont know the movie but it looks like something to fit with dark and scary stuff hehe.. to achieve that the tag itself is at the moment a bit too colorfull, so my advise would be to decrease the colors, by for example adding a hue/sat adjustment layer, or a gradient map black/white and then set it to a nice blending mode. another thing i would do is darken the top left corner so you can barely/not see the background in that part. this because at the moment there is a bit too much open space, which you had to fill in with that iron bar with the text on it.

and now i notice that your post was made some while ago, so there's a big probability you wont check this thread anymore lol
    anyways, i hope my advise helped you a bit and i really admire your courage doing a sig like this with this kind of resources. good luck and if you need any more help feel free to pm me

8. lordsoccer10

lordsoccer10 Well-Known Member

Vector the stock.
    They're are tons of vectoring tutorials and it should be easy considering the stock is a cartoon.
    Then yeah, like some other people said, make it a vectorish tag.
    Maybe find some illy shapes and stuff.

9. Disillusion

Disillusion Well-Known Member

Capture a High-Definition still of the movie.