Camera Drawn Crew | Applications Open | Apply Now

Discussion in 'Crew Haven' started by Geox, Aug 6, 2008.

1. SuvivoR

SuvivoR Well-Known Member

Kinda been watching this group for a while now and i think when you get the forums u pit will be a great place for a wannabe photographer to learn some new stuff bout what i enjoy :)
    but im going on holidays to Queensland (australia) so i will have little access to a computer but i will be using my camera a hell of a lot :D

so here my DA photo section
    http://tre0001.deviantart.com/gallery/#Photography
    anything comments favs? or even a watch would be awesome
    and ill post an app when i get back :D

2. Slight

Slight Senior Member

well i live in nyc, if u aask where i was born than Puerto Rico :P

3. Slight

Slight Senior Member

and why only wanna be's are the only one allowed to learn? :/ who says a p-r-0 don't learn something new?

4. Papermache

Papermache Well-Known Member

CameraDrawn

Geox | }SoC{SainT | JIXcorp | hotrocks | .:Illuminati:. | Slight | sos | EccentricEggman | dinges

^Poor local, not in slight's sig space.

5. dinges

dinges Senior Member

poor him :rolleyes:

6. Slight

Slight Senior Member

lol im lazy :P

7. Local

Local Well-Known Member

i know im all sitting around broken hearted. and nice :P i've been down to PR to surf I thought you might have still lived there. they have some amazing places to take pictures of. :P i'd be jealous if u lived there ;)

8. Local

Local Well-Known Member

i know this stuff doesnt compare to you guys yet. still tryin to figure out how to do a good job at post processing and was just tryin to figure out some xmas things on what i'd want to do lol but yeh. since i havent rly been able to shoot much lately this is what i got.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k227/loc...wr/DSC01452.png
    http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k227/loc...wr/DSC01469.png
    http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k227/loc...wr/DSC01500.png
    http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k227/loc...wr/DSC01505.png
    http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k227/loc...awr/mylunch.png

the orange tree's happened to be my lunch for wed between classes lol. hope they're getting better maybe then the last ones.

9. Slight

Slight Senior Member

i go a lot to PR i was there on oct came back on nov :P was for 2 months before in july :P lol well PR has many beautiful places yes... isla verde, el condado, manyy more.. beaches and landscapes

m y friend took this pic when i was in PR that was in 'el condado"

[​IMG]

10. dinges

dinges Senior Member

koving the first one, very nice color of green and the waterdrops are a great detail
    i do suggest though that you crop out about 35% off of the bodem so that the focuse will be on the foreground brances and the waterdrops ;)

11. }SoC{SainT

}SoC{SainT Well-Known Member

I like the first one, and the second orange one :). Dinges is right on the cropping too: that bottom branch is drawing the eye away from the subject. For the others, you really needed a tripod. I can tell that your aperture was opened up all the way, which means your shutter speed was as fast as possible, but you still get camera shake. When that happens, you can even just set the camera on a book and it will probably turn out sharper :).

The still life one that I liked was set up nicely :). I like how you used selective focus and framed the orange using other oranges :D.

Watch your white balance too ;). If you shoot in RAW you can fix it later, but if you're shooting in jpeg, then you need to try and get your white balance right. If you don't know what the heck I'm talking about, just ask and I'll elaborate ;)

Humm... phooey, you saved them as png, which stripped them of their metadata. Was going to look at your camera settings.

By the time we get the forum, we'll have ten active members and should demand our credits back <_<

12. Local

Local Well-Known Member

Watch your white balance too wink.gif. If you shoot in RAW you can fix it later, but if you're shooting in jpeg, then you need to try and get your white balance right. If you don't know what the heck I'm talking about, just ask and I'll elaborate < no clue :P

and yeah i figure I need to get a tripod :eek: sorry i get shakey lol. thats why i take a lil bit more then one pic at a time XD and pic from the better ones. and when i do shoot they're in jpeg. so I should possibly change that?

and heres some more from the 11th

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k227/loc...SC01525copy.png
    http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k227/loc...SC01535copy.png
    ^almost stepped on him XD
    http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k227/local_rawr/log.png
    ^piece of wood i saw.

hopefully we get our forums soon lol.

13. Papermache

One little piece of advice I wanted to mention for your orange pieces Local. Have a background that is neutral to the color orange. White would be the most obvious, but colors like green and blue would work well if the proper shade. The "tabletop?" wood not only has orange brown and yellow in it, the lacquer reflects the orange color and makes the picture very monotone. Aside from the colors, the placement is well done and the focus on the second one is perfect.

14. }SoC{SainT

}SoC{SainT Well-Known Member

White balance: light has different temperatures on the kelvin scale. White balance reads these temperatures and tells the camera what color white appears as. If your pictures have an odd hue to them, it's because your white balance was wrong, making the camera substitute the wrong color to make white. Your orange still life had the wrong white balance, which is why your wall was yellow in there. To get the correct white balance, you simply select the correct preset your camera has. This is based off of the type of light you are photographing in. On sunny days, you want your white balance set to sunny. In a setting lit by fluorescent lighting, you need to have it set to fluorescent, otherwise your picture will have the wrong hue. Our eyes naturally will compensate for changes in light temperature.

White balance can also be used as a filter, but I wouldn't try this until you understand light and different temperatures.

Continue shooting in jpeg until you are comfortable with your camera settings. After you understand how to control your camera, then you should switch to RAW. RAW is basically the information that the camera receives when the picture is first taken. You have everything. That's why the files are so much larger. Jpeg is compressed. The data that the camera initially processed is tossed out and you are left with a flat image that has no extra data stored. RAW is so helpful because you can fix incorrectly exposed images a lot easier, white balance is easier to fix, you can fix problems your lens might cause, and there's quite a bit of other things to be done. RAW is also non-destructive editing, which means it's not saving over the original and you can always go back. It's not good to rely on this though, which is why I was forced to shoot jpeg again when I started school.

I'm waaay too tired to critique anything right now. And I still have to go to work in three hours...

15. Papermache

This forum is taking much too long. Creating a forum takes less time than it takes to log in.