Build Me A Computer Pleez

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Niosis, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Mortified Penguin

Mortified Penguin Senior Member

You can't use a 360 controller with a computer. Moreover, I much prefer playing games with my Xbox than I ever will computer gaming.

2. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

3. Mortified Penguin

So you either have to buy a certain controller for it or that cable. Either way, I don't like computer gaming. That's how it is.

4. xlink

you have your stance I have mine.

until consoles fully support for mice and keyboards
    allow for instantaneous swapping into other applications
    can be used for school work...
    have good games for them sold at reasonable prices.

I'll view them as the inferior goods

because face it, you just died in your FPS and are waiting for the next round to start, don't tell me that you don't want music in the background, an IM client so you can talk to people while waiting... your forums open so you can check them... all that stuff. Currently you can't do that console side, i've been doing it PC side for the last half decade.

then the usual complaint is that the screen is too small... hook the computer up to the TV... then it's the controller, use the console controller if you want, I don't like arthritis so I'll opt for keyboard and a highend mouse instead or even a joystick or a wheel...

that said the consoles DO have a lot of good games for them. i acknowlege that and I'll be buying used games off people for $5-10 a piece once the PS4 and xbox720 are released, along with an xbox360 for $100 and a PS3 for $100

it always happens. I like to be ahead of the tech curve, my primary gaming system will be state of the art, well actually it's over 2 years old now and the only saving benefit of it is that tech has slowed down lately... ehh well see, if the semiconductor industry slows enough I'll be going console side next gen, by then they'll have the stuff I want anyway...

5. Mortified Penguin

Yes but you can play music on the 360 while you wait anyway and talk to people on Live.

Enough of that though, some people like consoles. Others a PC. It's opinions.

6. inverse

inverse Banned from GR

When you can game at resolutions of 1920x1200 on a console, I might consider them in the same league as PC gaming.

7. xlink

2560*1600

to the OP, if you have some cash left over, upgrade the 8800GS/9600GSO to a 4850

8. Greasy Pete

Greasy Pete Senior Member

did your internet break?

9. KiTa

KiTa Well-Known Member

just put your computer and console next to each other and use both at the same time... thats what i do.

10. inverse

inverse Banned from GR

TBH, xlink, few computers can satisfactorily game at 2560x1600, so it's somewhat of a moot point.

11. Mortified Penguin

When you can play Splinter Cell Double Agent on Xbox Live with a 1080dpi Flat Screen TV on a computer, I might consider them in the same league as console gaming.

12. inverse

inverse Banned from GR

But Splinter Cell Double Agent doesn't support 1080p gaming, therefore you're playing below your HDTV's native resolution, therefore the actual picture will be of a lower quality than one played on a 720p or standard definition TV. Also, my monitor supports 1080p and then some, has a much better refresh rate, latency and has much better colour reproduction than 99% of the Full HD TVs. Also, PCs have something called Games for Windows Live, which is exactly the same but free.

13. xlink

depends on the game. also a $140 4850 can run most games at that level FYI.

on that note, few consoles can run games at 1080p, which is half of 2560*1600, heck last time I checked half the current console games aren't even full 720p

14. inverse

inverse Banned from GR

Exactly. As far as I know, maybe 1-3% of all currently released console games support 1080p. Maybe a good 40-50% will support up to 720p.

Annoyingly my PC seems to be struggling with COD4 at 1920x1200. I have to have the settings annoyingly low. No anti-aliasing makes my retinas cry.