Bruce Lee Vs. Jackie Chan Vs. Jet Li Vs. Tony Jaa

Discussion in 'Movies' started by -=DaRKSTaR=-, Aug 30, 2007.

1. -=DaRKSTaR=-

-=DaRKSTaR=- Senior Member

haha bluefalcon lolz

its not a joking competition :D jackie is funny but his earlier days were fighting properly before he went into films like rush hour or shanghai noon or something

muay thai .. science of the eight limbs :D

2. bluefalcon_ad

bluefalcon_ad Well-Known Member

Actually, try stuff earlier like Rumble it the Bronx, and stuff even earlier than that.

Muay Thai's my favorite martial arts for a reason. ^_^

3. Last Defias

Last Defias Well-Known Member

This is my order:

Tony Jaa = Bruce Lee > Jet Li > Jackie Chan.

It's very close between Lee and Jaa but I prefer Jaa's style more I guess.

4. Watahboi

Watahboi Well-Known Member

I would say I like Tony Jaa because hes young and fresh and muay thai is an awesome martial art. Also because he OWNTZ

5. Addle Boy

Addle Boy Well-Known Member

I think my opinion's the same as his. more or less

6. anachist

anachist Well-Known Member

jet li for me though :D hes a 4 time wushu champ. :D

7. Sheik

Sheik Well-Known Member

Bruce Lee was missing toes and he still owned o_O...

8. Amergin

Amergin Well-Known Member

Bruce Lee: An amazing man in the world of martial arts, not just for his philosophies regarding fighting but also for his physical aptitude. The man was a house and his speed was amazing. He also founded his own martial art, an adaptation and culmination of many others - wing chun in particular. The man created his own style of "MMA" (with less focus on grappling, but it's still there).

Jackie Chan: One of the great martial arts actors, a man who's trained in MANY different styles for the camera, including various animal-centric styles of kung fu that you don't see as much these days. Also the man who brought Drunken Boxing into the limelight, I'd say. Has an uncanny ability to mix comedy with martial arts and not have to do it in a "comedy" movie (difference between "Rush Hour" and "Legend of Drunken Master"). Jackie Chan is also renowned for doing his stunts himself and has shown his stamina with some of the moves he's pulled.

Jet Li: Child prodigy, wu shu/kung fu master and one of the more "dignified" actors. I personally prefer his movies over the other three actors simply because I enjoy Chinese dramas/serious martial arts flicks more than comedies, oldies, or whatever you call Jaa's work (Bollywood Martial Arts?). Li tends to like to do fluid and flashy, precise and accurate, with a little more focus on points. However, it's still wu shu, which in most instances is less effective in real fights than Jeet Kune Do and Muay Thai.

Tony Jaa: Honestly, I don't really like him. Actually I don't mind him, I just hate his fanboys. This man has been well-known for a few years now and I don't know if it was him, MMA, or both, but Muay Thai has exploded in popularity and brought this guy along for the ride. Now, all of a sudden, there's this flock of people who swear by him and swear that Muay Thai is the best martial art ever. Here's a clue: Muay Thai is not the martial art equivalent of an "I WIN" button. Somehow some people think that Muay Thai is the first martial art to focus on "street"-style fighting and using elbows and knees. Truth is, many martial arts use the entire body as a weapon, including several styles of kung fu and even non-East Asian arts (look up Pankration).
    Now that that's out of the way, I think Tony Jaa is a decent martial artist. I say decent because he really hasn't done much to show off his skills yet. You can link me youtube clips of both Ong Bak and that other film he did all you want, but I've seen both and I really wasn't impressed... mostly because the movies make him out to be a god of some sort. He can get hit by everything, still kick ass. He can grab your arm with the joint of his knee and break it while smashing a second guy's face with his elbow and one-hit-KO punching a third SOB. I know it's "possible," but there's a point at which the fighting just becomes silly (I know most martial arts films suffer from this, but at least Chinese dramas do it prettier and with better production values). However, he does get credits for bringing an up-to-now fairly unknown martial art into popularity, and for doing his own stunts.

Now, as for comparing them all:

In a fight, I'd say Bruce Lee would win. Jet Li is a wu shu master, but wu shu is almost a purely-Hollywood martial art. Its focus is to look good, not to be effective. Jackie Chan falls under the same category, so the fight's really between Bruce Lee and Tony Jaa. One thing most people forget is that Jeet Kune Do is very much a "street fight" or "win"-based martial art, and Bruce Lee knew full well how to really fight. In fact, one of his big reasons for creating JKD is because he felt that the structure and stances of wing chun/kung fu couldn't apply to real life fighting situations.
    So both Jaa and Lee practice reality martial arts. I still go with Lee because of his broader knowledge of martial arts - Jaa's practiced a few, Lee practiced, watched, and took from many more. Also, Lee at his peak was just physically faster and possibly stronger than Jaa. And as someone else mentioned, if Jaa's real fighting style mimics his movie style, then the man doesn't give s*** about dodging.

Now this is all speculation and opinion. I know I am a Bruce Lee fanboy and I'm sorry if I sounded harsh on Jaa, but his fanclub really does piss me off.

9. zwankildare

zwankildare Active Member

Never heard of Tony Jaa before.I thought that ongbak movie was just a lame and never bothered to watch it.Ill try to watch it and see if it comes to being a legend.

I did try searching about Tony Baa a while ago and suprisingly only a handful of movie titles he did.So my question goes to this - How can he be a legend? As far as martial arts is concerned , there's alot of martial artist out there that needs to be recognize. How come Wesley Snipes and Don "the dragon" Wilson , Chuck Norris was not even mention?they are the true champion of martial arts .Imao I sense a fanboy out here.

10. bluefalcon_ad

Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, and all of them didn't get much work at first. Especially in this day and age where martial arts on the big screen is getting less appreciated, it's harder to get work.

Jackie Chan did a bunch of work that didn't even get NOTICED. He got popular because of Rumble in the Bronx, c'mon...

11. Kalamadorel

Kalamadorel Well-Known Member

The person who got it on tape?

But seriously, I'd have to say either bruce lee or Jet li, Tony jaa seems to get hit a lot and Bruce lee can knock someone over with a one inch punch imagine what he can do with a full one. Jackie chan in my opinion does more movie martial arts than martial arts used for fighting. Jet li is pretty fast but if it came down to it I would have to say bruce lee because he had more experience.

12. bluefalcon_ad

Jet Li does virtually impossible stuff to do in real life, and yet Jackie Chan is made for camera? I think you have your facts and opinions wrong. Very wrong.

13. .c1

.c1 Well-Known Member

I don't think it has a lot about them being notice back then, as to them being Asian, I am not try to be w/e you think I am, by saying it. But I did a report on Bruce Lee, he did a lot of thing, but he was never given the star role, maybe a couple of times, but not most of the timed. I think the book put it too drastic.

bluefalcon_ad

You can only do martial art movie for so long though, I mean Jackie Chan does some comedy along with it

and I know nothing about Tony Jaa, I wanna see ong-bak so bad, all I see are clips on youtube

14. bluefalcon_ad

That is true, I guess I did overlook the fact that his gain in popularity was almost posthumous for the States and the rest of the world. Martial Arts in general really isn't that popular for the big screen. Heh.

15. -=117=-

-=117=- Well-Known Member

Bruce Lee, and no one should need to ask why. :mellow: