Black Screen Of Death Problem.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Gøbbartics, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Gøbbartics

Gøbbartics Frozen Norwegian

When I boot my computer it would only come to a black screen with a cursor dead center. The cursor would move if the mouse was moved, but nothing else worked. The cursor is dead center and not blinking (if that helps). Even worse, if I turned off the monitor, I see the same behavior that caused me to reboot the thing in the first place!

Another reboot and I found that the same thing happened when I tried to get into safe mode. All of the drivers seemed to load fine yet once they are done I get the black screen (of death) w/ the moveable cursor.

I put the install disk in and ran a memory scan (something that google suggests) and nothing! The same results appeared. I've tried everything that google suggested. THIS did not work either.

What gets me is that there is no error message and no way (seemingly) to fix this problem -- short of reinstalling the OS. The diagnostic software on the install CD reports that everything is normal. Well it's not!!! How do I find out what is hanging the system?

The only thing I can effectively access is a command prompt using a recovery disk.

I have no backup of the files on my computer so the last thing I want to do is a complete reinstall.

Please! This seems hopeless. It can't be? :/

2. Mortified Penguin

Mortified Penguin Senior Member

Do a repair tbh.

3. Gøbbartics

A system repair doesn't get me anywhere. It only says that they couldn't repair this problem, or that they couldn't detect any problems.

4. Zohair

Zohair Formerly zohBOT

It's blue screen of death I believe but anyway, did you also try formatting and re-installing windows?

5. Prince Zainx

Prince Zainx The Dark Prince

I'm really sorry to tell you this but as if the Repair Module on the XP Disc can't repair this problem for you then there is no problem with your computer but with your hard drive.

Sounds as if your hard drive failed..meaning it just died. I might be wrong but I would suggest that you take out your hard drive and take it to the local repair shop for a diagnostics..mostly I would just throw the old HD away and install a new one..that will solve the problem much faster :)

Apart from that ...

6. Gøbbartics

Ooooh.. But I need a backup of my files before I throw away that HD. I got gigas og study and important documents... Iiichh, I just need 5 minutes to do a backup! Is there no way!?
    ----

7. Prince Zainx

Prince Zainx The Dark Prince

<_< Fine Gobb :D

I'll help you there as well..

Two things you can do if you would like to save your computer but I'd start from the First and if it doesn't work then go onto the Second..

The ion battery that has been set on your Motherboard might have blacked out all of a sudden, but they mostly last about 18 - 30 months, hence try opening up your desktop or laptop and removing the small battery that has been plugged onto your motherboard and then resetting it back into the motherboard. That is the Bios Recovery Battery, everytime you take it out and put it back in it will reset the bios..but in this case I just posted this as it might be a problem with the BIOS. If not then move on to the second option...

Second Option is to get a new hard drive and start all over. I would suggest before you get a hard drive you buy yourself an Adapter for IDE - SATA and connect your HD to it and connect the USB cable to another computer / laptop and backup all of your files...
    CLICK Here are some that I found online..but you can also go to your local electronics store and ask for Hard Drive USB Enclosures...

Apart from that once you find the enclosure just fix your HD into it and use the USB cable to connect it to another computer and copy your files there...

More Options read here if possible: Here..

Zainx

8. AeroSwift

AeroSwift Member

Yeah, get yourself an external HDD case, take your HDD out of your PC and backup your files...

BTW: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums...8-9ef2b26f5294/

You copied some text? :P

Try spamming F8 while the system boots and choose "Last known good configuration.".

Do you happen to have installed MagicISO or Roxio Easy Media Creator? Try deleting the MagicISO folder when you are at the command prompt: rmdir /s /q "c:\program files\magiciso"

Or try CTRL + ALT + DEL, then kill explorer.exe, and go to file -> new task and start explorere.exe again. ;)

Or try CHKDSK C: /F from the command prompt.

Or: http://sbsc.techcareteam.com/archives/325

Or: Go to the command prompt.

Code:
    c:
    cd windows\system32\config
    dir (to see the dates for your reg files(
    cd regback
    dir (to compare the dates, they should be older than the other files. If they are, proceed.)
    cd ..
    rename software software.old2
    rename system system.old2
    cd regback
    copy system c:\windows\system32\config
    copy software c:\windows\system32\config
    Or: try to hook it up to an external case (mentioned earleir), then hook it up to another computer and run some serious anti-virus/adware/spyware programs on it. ;)

Hope this helped,

Aeroswift. ;)

9. Gøbbartics

Thanks guys. I've tried your BIOS-related solutions, with no luck. Well, no luck... Something happened.
    Atleast, Windows are giving me an error at startup. Which means that the system has realized that everything isn't "OK".

New error;
    "BOOTMGR is missing"

I can no longer spam the F8 during startup. Only this error, after some boot-screens.
    I think I'll probably by an Adapter, and try to connect my HD to another CPU.

This problem just seems unsolvable (arrrgh) :'/

10. AeroSwift

AeroSwift Member

No, don't do it.

Solution for XP:
    If BOOTMGR is missing, insert your XP CD and launch up a repair prompt.

Then type in respectively:

Code:
    fixboot

fixmbr
    That should fix your bootmanager. ;)

Solution for Vista:

To repair MBR and rebuild BCD, ok so boot into the Windows Recovery Environment on the Windows Vista Media, select command prompt and type:

Code:
    Bootrec /FixMbr

Bootrec /FixBoot

Bootrec /ScanOs

Bootrec /RebuildBcd
    Restart the computer.

Boot into the Vista DVD again.

In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

Type X:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt60 ALL (where X: is the letter of the DVD drive with the Vista DVD)

copy the Bootmgr from the Vista media (which is on the root of the DVD) to the root of the active partition. eg Type xcopy bootmgr c:\

Restart the computer.

11. Gøbbartics

@ aero-swift;

I don't have any extra CD's. It didn't come with the computer. Where can I get the Windos Vista Media dvd?

And, if the solution would be to connect my HD to another cpu, what kind of adapter would work for computer?
    This is a link to my laptop;
    http://global.acer.com/products/notebook/as7520.htm

12. iFusion

iFusion Well-Known Member

If you can boot up in save mode, i would do that asap, and buy an external HD, and back up your files before you do anything else. I'm sorry if I'm repeating thing that people said above, but what i said seems to be the first thing you should do before you do anything else, because you never know what could happen; you could possibly wipe out your entire HD if you make one simple mistake.

Just trying to help out. Sorry if i seem like a doof.

13. AeroSwift

AeroSwift Member

You can download the Vista Recovery Disc apart, which gives you acces to the recovery section of the Vista DVD, even if you don't have it. ;)

x86 version: (if you don't know which version of Vista you have, it's 99% of the time this one)
    Torrent:
    http://neosmart.net:6969/torrent.html?info...af55ea0016f7b7b (Torrent)

MediaFire:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ldkm0dvzldz
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ontwdmy1jyo

Rapidshare:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/102604822/wvrd.part1.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/102598061/wvrd.part2.rar

x64 version:
    Torrent:
    http://neosmart.net:6969/torrent.html?info...09747c5f7eb94b5

MediaFire:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?izmkyzdmk0t
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?nnydzjfmvkm

Try downloading it and burning it to a DVD, then boot from the DVD right into your command prompt. ;)

If you really can't download it or have problems, try borrowing the Vista DVD from a neighbour or something, and if you REALLY can't borrow it, I'll send you a disc. ;)

I don't know tho if the Recovery Discs have the bootmgr, so I uploaded it for you:

http://www.mediafire.com/?oyynwemmty2 (just add it to the ISO using for example WinRAR ;))

Also, I found this handy link: https://secure3.tx.acer.com/RCD/Main.aspx

Hope you are able to fix your PC mate,

Aeroswift ;)

14. FoxMcCarther

FoxMcCarther Well-Known Member

Not a solution, but I just logged on to report the same problem. Was working fine then about an hour ago, BAM, ------ you. I do not problem is not with the hard drive, unless the system files got corrupt and vista is just being its usual self and not picking up on it. I do not have another computer to test it, but looking through the dos files everything appeared to be sound, but that just shows its not a hardware problem. It was scanning daily and there was no abnormal activity. The hard drive was free of viruses and ---- like that, it appears to be corrupted system files, but my restore points are gone as well. I have noticed however this seems to have happened allot over the last 2 weeks if you check out google.

Tomorrow I am going to try to install vista on a spare hard drive and run through the same setup, at the very least it will determine if it is a corrupt system file or the hardware itself. I already tried to run a copy of windows XP through my setup that (windows xp) was working fine, but I had the same problem. This scares me a bit, but as of now I have not found a solution. The sines point to everything from a bad Hard Drive to a Bad component. Only problem with that is It did not appear to be abnormal up until that point. No history of overheating, no lack of power (950W PSU lol), Though it would not make much sense, before I go about wiping months worth of work, I am going to take an extra Hard Drive and Install a fresh copy of Vista on it and see how it works, I just want to make sure it is not a hardware problem, Could just be a coincidence you are having the same problem, If it is not a hardware problem, we are both SOL as I have been looking around and have found nothing.

And if it matters, It happened to me when restarting my computer, it was running abnormally slow (Only reason I think it is a hardware issue).

Oh, and this is the first time I have ever asked for help online =D Don't let me down!

Running (if it helps)

GIGABYTE GA-M750SLI-DS4
    MSI NX8800GT 512M OC GeForce 8800 GT
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB
    An old 80 GB HD as well
    Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders
    AMD Phenom 9850 (quad)
    240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

Forgot to mention I tried the fix in the link you had, Unfortunately, It is not my solution either =(

15. Gøbbartics

//aero.swift
    Thanks! I have downloaded the Vista Recovery Disc. Should I extract the files and then burn the extracted files to a CD, with the bootmgr file?

I'll try to follow your guides tomorrow.

@FoxMcCarther.
    Well, I don't think we have the exact same problem, but I hope you'll be able to solve your booting problem also. It's pain!