Backup Plan!

Discussion in 'Spam Heaven' started by Chimpy, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Chimpy

Chimpy Well-Known Member

While im having a hard time getting in the Military. I've decided
    to go to the Police Academy (5 months) and Fire Fighter Academy (3 Months).
    And go to College for Graphics Animation and Sound.

All before i turn 25 (im 20 now).

What's the best school to go for graphics animation? :slow:

2. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

depends on where you want to work, but overall, I'd say harvard.

3. Chimpy

Chimpy Well-Known Member

Dreamworks or Pixar i'll be in heaven.:cry:

4. Clash

Clash The Go-To Guy

Both Dreamworks and Pixar use their own in-house made software... no amount of school could prepare you for any digital animation there... that'll take years and years of field work. You may be able to get into story boarding or character development if you're a GOD at drawing.

5. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

HYPS then.

6. Chimpy

Chimpy Well-Known Member

from my understanding both companies uses the program Maya, C4D, 3D Studio max and other common programs im mean im sure your right about them having their own setup and home made program but like other jobs they will most likely have some type of training in there to get u familiar with their program/setup and tools jus as long as ur good at what you do. And yes im an artist used to wanted to be a cartoonist. Been drawing all my life going to school and getting a degree in animation just helps let them know "ok he went to school for this he know's what he's doing"

7. inverse

inverse Banned from GR

Most major special effects agencies use InHouse software, normally custom built to fulfill certain requirements. When I was at Weta Digital I got to use some of them, like MASSIVE, which is specifically designed to generate thousands of individual characters all acting according to pre-set rules, which is what they used to render all the soldiers in battles in LOTR. They also used a modified version for Avatar to generate all the wildlife and plants.

But most of it used source files from Maya or 3DSM, which meant if you had a good knowledge of either of them, the InHouse software was relatively easy to pick up.

8. Chimpy

Chimpy Well-Known Member

Well thats good to know im not new to either of those programs been working with them for a year n half, so i think i would pick up quickly on the inhouse software these studio's have thanks for the info.