Auto Overclock

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by BTK, Jul 5, 2006.

1. BTK

BTK Well-Known Member

I have an GeForce video card.
    And you know the overclock option when you download coolbits.

Well when I manually raise the core clock and memory clock frequencey my PC freezes so I restart the pc. It freezes when I raise each frequencey about 15 MHZ.

I found that if I select the "Auto Overclock" option my PC doesent freeze.

I was wondering if it was safe to keep it on auto overclock, because raising frequences 15 MHZ manually freezes the pc. How much is auto overclock raising the frequency? Is it like 15 MHZ and if so is it safe for my video card because manual overclock does not work. So if it's on auto overclock will my card be fine?

2. BreakOut

BreakOut Well-Known Member

Depends, list your cooling, motherboard, power source, and GeForce card model...

3. BTK

BTK Well-Known Member

Intel Pentium 4 - 2.0 GHZ
    1 GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 6200

I have been playing CSS with auto overclock on and I'm getting about 50-80 FPS with everything on high on DX 9 except with no Antialiasing.

So is that a good indicator that nothing will go wrong? I have been playing for 1 hour and it's fine. Before with no overclock I had to put texture on medium to get 50-80 FPS.

4. BreakOut

Mobo/cooling? If your cooling/mobo aren't good enough, your card WILL overheat...

5. V1sual B1nary

V1sual B1nary Well-Known Member

Does the auto overclock increase the clock speeds by quite alot, or does it wary depending on temp of the card before it does it etc, seems like a good idea if it does increase it when i play games and when im not it decreases but i only ever hear about people manualy ocing them.

6. BTK

BTK Well-Known Member

the option said that in intense programs the card will oc but if too hot slow down.

And my cooling don't really matter. The card also comes with it's own fan. and wouldent the card slow down be4 it overheats? the most degrees is saw it raise in CSS was from 54 degrees to 59 degrees. it didnt go above 60.

7. BreakOut

Aight, then it's all good.

8. V1sual B1nary

Yeah thats fine when gaming mine gets about 60 and about 55 when not and thats fine even when i play a game like 8-10 hours straight some days it always stays around the 60ish mark.

9. BTK

BTK Well-Known Member

yeah ok i run CSS at direct x 9 and high shader, high texture, high shadow and high model detail

reflect all in water and no HDR and no color correction and no vysnc and filtering at 2x and aa at 2x

i get about 50-95 fps with overclock

without the overclock i would be getting 30-50

and it looks amazing

10. V1sual B1nary

Yep, i also have all the settings on highest and getting on average about 50-100 fps in CSS and still about 60 degrees.