ATI 2900XTX vs. nVidia 8800GTX Ultra

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parusa, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Parusa

Parusa Well-Known Member

So I have to decide between an 8800GTX Ultra 768mb DDR3 or an HD 2900XTX 512mb DDR3.

I assume that between these 2 cards the 8800GTX wins because of the seemingly obvious higher specs.

However, there is also supposed to be a 2900XTX 1GB DDR4 which was released june 14th and is already being used by companies such as Falcon Northwest. But I can't seem to find a stand-alone retail version of that card.

So what I basicly need to know is if the 1GB DDR4 version of the 2900XTX is worth waiting for because I imagine it won't take long for a retail version to pop up if not already available. Or if not, if the 2900XTX 512mb DDR3 compares to the 8800GTX Ultra.

I have a strong feeling that I am going to have to take the 8800, but I never liked nvidia very much and I have heard some negative reports about the drivers and compatibility, but I also can't afford to wait very much longer. So I'm starting to feel a little helpless :/

2. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

what do you mean by obviously higher specs?

just going by the specs, the 2900 RAPES the 8800GTX and the 8800 Ultra badly.

unfortunately realworld performance isn't up to what the specs suggest.

8800GTS>2900XT 1GB in most cases when it comes to performance. atleast based on what "reviews" I've seen. They all seem somewhat sketchy, but generally I'm seeing that going from 512mb vRAm to 1024mb vRAM has a negligible impact on performance. Sort of like how going from 512mb RAM to 1024mb RAM on a PI system running notepad won't make much of a difference.

that said, the 8800GTX would likely be the best choice.

EDITL in terms of drivers and compatability, yes the 8800s drivers suck(atleast in vista though it is getting better slowly but surely).
    but the 2900s are in a whole new category of suck.

3. Parusa

Parusa Well-Known Member

Ok, thx for the confirmation.
    I don't plan on switching to Vista untill it is actually required to play any new games, so I will be running XP untill further notice.
    Most of all I'd like to keep win 2k but that just aint realistic atm.