Army Basic Training

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by .Simplicity, May 15, 2007.

1. .Simplicity

.Simplicity Well-Known Member

So, I enlisted into the Army National Guard, go ahead, call me a wimp if you want, the benefits are far better :P

Anyway, we go through the same training as the full time Army guys, and I was wondering if anyone had any insight into BCT? I'm shipping to Fort Jackson, South Carolina in 23 days, I'll only get to go to one RPS weekend before I leave. I joined on the 10th, so I had a very fast ship date...

Yea, so if anyone has any insight, or just wants to talk about basic, or the Army in general, go ahead. Just, please, leave the political trash at the door :D

2. ferret

ferret Well-Known Member

What'd you sign for? I hope you looked into the contract--recruiters are like Satan; they'll tell you the truth, but you have to dig into what they're saying and keep on asking questions.

Not knocking your choice at all--the military is a wonderful profession. Just saying that a lot of people these days are getting screwed over because they don't ask the right questions. Good on you for joining.

3. XxCarbinexX

XxCarbinexX Well-Known Member

I doubt any of you would call you a wimp, simply because you enlisted in the military. Good for you (no sarcasm), seriously. I'm sure that it will be a good experience.

I'm not sure about BCT for the National Guard, but I do know alot about the regular Army (stories from my dad and goarmy.com).

From what I have been told, just get into shape before you're shipped off to SC (running, pushups, ect. ect.)

4. .Simplicity

Yeah, I made sure to read through and make sure everything promised to me was in the contract. That's too many years that I'd be getting jipped if I hadn't and something was missing :tongue:

5. GuitarGuru

GuitarGuru Well-Known Member

If I were you, I'd get into the best shape possible before shipping off to BCT. Just so all the exercising is easier on you.

6. dementia

dementia Well-Known Member

It really just makes sure that your in the shape they require for their militants. They make you do things that are stupid as all hell just to see if you'll follow their orders regardless, make you do some fairly intensive athletic training, etc.

7. .rockstar

.rockstar Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if there is special forces (splinter cell like, stealth, etc) courses in the Military? Im only 15 but when I turn 18 or 20 I would be interested in joining the army for that (only if my life's going nowhere and have no love life).

8. Greasy Pete

Greasy Pete Senior Member

wow... this is probably a major event in your life.

when your older, you'll be thinking back on these days...

ever think of that?

9. .Simplicity

Yeah, it was the hardest decision I've ever had to make. In the end, the benefits seemed to outweigh the negative points, other than the possibility of being shot, of course :P

Hoping I like it enough to stay in at least 20 years, so I can be 37 with retirement benefits ^_^

10. ferret

ferret Well-Known Member

Go towards any SF selection course with that mentality and you'll be dumped within the day... The military isn't about doing the "cool" stuff you see in fictional video games, it's about doing what is required.

11. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

chances are he'd just find out what a manual colonoscopy feels like.

12. XxCarbinexX

XxCarbinexX Well-Known Member

Splinter Cell stuff is probably 5 times harder than you think it is. Not to rain on your parade, but I doubt that I can see you, or anyone of us for that matter, becoming anything past a Marine...

13. .rockstar

.rockstar Well-Known Member

Guys I never said I expected it to be like splinter nor did I say I wanted to do what Sam Fisher does lol, I simply said that as a example so you guys know what I mean.

Also anything computer related like hacking (good legal hacking), etc would be cool to.

14. Solumn

Solumn Member

well 1 thing I know for sure I am not ging in the army ^^

15. ShotokanTiger

ShotokanTiger Well-Known Member

What is beyond a marine? (Not in terms of rank)