Are Sigs Art?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Link3362, Jun 2, 2005.

1. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

yes, but they aren't all to standard for art...

2. .sexed

.sexed Well-Known Member

You type with your hands, you wipe your ass using your hands and toilet paper, is that art? No, sigs aren't art, get over it.

SIGNATURE - A few lines of text that are automatically attached at the end of each email message by the email client. Usually it's some personal identification or an (un)interesting quote.

Need I say more?

3. echoepidemic

echoepidemic Well-Known Member

They can be if you put LOTS of time and effort into them. But grabbing a render from a game and adding a background isn't really art.

4. fuse

fuse Well-Known Member

You type with your hands, you wipe your ass using your hands and toilet paper, is that art? No, sigs aren't art, get over it.

SIGNATURE - A few lines of text that are automatically attached at the end of each email message by the email client. Usually it's some personal identification or an (un)interesting quote.

Need I say more? [/b][/quote]
    But they're signature images, but for short called sigs.

Just like people calling cut-outs renders. Dunno why, but they call 'em that. :\

5. .scurenzio

.scurenzio Well-Known Member

Need I say more? [/b][/quote]
    Also , if you have ever tryied doing anything bigger than 500*500 , you will know the truth , that sigs are not art... doesnt matter what the book says,

rules are for stupid people to follow ....

6. Link3362

Link3362 Well-Known Member

^ lol, this is the kid I was talking about.

EDIT: Eh... the person above the above

7. `Mancer

`Mancer Well-Known Member

What animus said is right. If you spend a few hours on a sig its art.

If its a 5 minute peice of crap then you fail.

8. Link3362

Link3362 Well-Known Member

^ I second that, Mancer. Have to agree.

9. echoepidemic

That's because Animus is a genius.

10. iPhenom

iPhenom Well-Known Member

Yes they are art since you work hard on them and try to do you best to make something good.

11. .scurenzio

.scurenzio Well-Known Member

Most of the peoples reasons are sooo blunt ...not even funny.

"Its art cuz you work hard on it and do your best"- what did we go back to 1st grade art class? Yeah do your best , you are awesoem...
    Doesnt matter how much time it takes... If someone takes 30 minutes to do something the other does in 6 hours does it mean the guy who did in 6 hours is better? Hell no. Your point doesnt make sense , so the people who agreed with it are totally wrong...

Art takes a lot more than using brushsets downloaded from the internet(not all of you) and clicking over a picture that you havent done... Im sorry./ Look I dont want to argue with you guys ,just deal with it, go look at some real art ,and try to make real art ,in the beggining I thought "wow sigs are zou kool they rock",---- that. When I tryed making something bigger I realised that sigs are nowhere near art.

but dont mind my opinion, you gals and boys have a splendid time making signatures ....

12. .sexed

.sexed Well-Known Member

I've only seen one signature that could even be considered art, and that was a whole mini flash site in signature form, done by one of the members on bluesfear.

13. echoepidemic

Is this art?

Vitality

You didn't even make the render.

Edit:
    Mr. Sushi, it's not how much time you put into it... It's if you actually made it. A vector signature is art if the person did it all. A 3D abstract sig could be art if the person made the render and that.

It really depends on the skill level and mentality of the person. If they just want to have a sig so they can be recognized as 'Ferdaus' then whatever. But if they actually do the work then sure it's art.

If a sig has all the qualities of something you'd see on evokeONE it's probably art then.

I know what you mean though, not all sigs are art, most aren't. Mine isn't art.

14. .sexed

.sexed Well-Known Member

I don't consider a bunch of random shapes art, if they can model something in a 3d program, then i'll consider looking at it.

A signature is only meant to represent you on a forum, a fingerprint if you will, it identifies an individual, but that was back when we did the things for fun, now days these people just do it to get rep and whatever else, they display "battle" wins like they are of any importance to anyone but the other sad individuals who think winning a sig battle proves something.

15. echoepidemic

I guess it depends on your perception of art then.