Another Day Of Shooting

Discussion in 'Camera Drawn' started by Local, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Local

Local Well-Known Member

More pictures I took on march 7th at the beach :) any favs I think im kind of getting it down a bit its hard to time everything a bit but im getting used to it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Papermache

Papermache Well-Known Member

It seems you are cropping a lot of pictures, that is not a good thing. Showing a slanting horizon is distracting. Second and fifth are my favourites, would love to see second in B&W and not cropped.

3. Local

Local Well-Known Member

I have to crop em or theres just way to much distracting to the eye >.< My lense doesnt zoom in that far. and I know about the horizons >.< just didnt think of those till it was to late. will fix em later. but ye hardest part is getting the guy n action. http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k227/loc...wr/DSC02602.jpg see theres like a wave getting in the way of that picture. if there was a way I could get higher at the beach but be able to zoom n more that doesnt cost me a arm n a leg atm. I'd do it =[ I had to stand n like the water and when a wave would come by it'd hit my ankles just to get close enough to acutally get a decent pic of the guy =[. its tuff.

these and the last ones are rly the only time I ever rly cropped something.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k227/loc...wr/DSC02592.jpg theres the kids playing uncropped 2. I just snapped that picture really when there was no1 catching a wave. maybe that gives a hint of how far in the water I was.

4. Papermache

Papermache Well-Known Member

The cropping on the kid picture is excellent and perfect, and it is ok to crop images, but framing should always be a top priority, the less post-production, the better. The surfer picture with the wave isn't that bad. The wave is hardly noticeable, and you could always go for higher vantage point or something similar. I have never photographed surfers so I don't know the difficulties, but I can guess them. All I am saying is that you tend to crop a LOT of your photos that I have seen, and a LOT of them have diagonal horizons, which isn't always bad either.

I took a few minutes and post-edited your photos to show you how easy it is to remove or add things to your liking. The first is with the people removed. The second is with people removed and the top waves altered to allow them to fit in horizontal frame without actually showing the city and horizon behind. While they are not flawless edits, especially the waves, they took less than 10 minutes.

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/4951/beach2j.jpg

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/4987/beach1y.jpg

With action shots it is obviously extremely hard to apply the rule of thirds or horizontal horizons or framing to your picture, but it is a very good thing to practice. I myself often make the same mistakes, well they aren't mistakes, but you know..

5. Local

Local Well-Known Member

Ah. I didn't know u could like clone stamp things and replace them and it still be a photo. Always thought that was kind of like a photomanip kinda. And ah I learned something by looking ty for helping on clearing these things up :) I think I might go to the beach this weekend again as we have some more waves and a friend is in town. I'll see if I can get a higher vantage point thats not to fair away from the action. :)

I think I have to spend more time on working on the photo after I take it. But thats where I get nervous. I like the picture but I have trouble figuring out what to do it. Like I thought on the surfing shots I got the action right (helps cos I think like a surfer so I can almost predict their thoughts). ty for the advice and taking ur time and helping me ^_^