Angry Catholic Mother

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bluefalcon_ad, Apr 11, 2007.

1. bluefalcon_ad

bluefalcon_ad Well-Known Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Aq00yJSxo

Linky for youuuuu.

Well, it seems to be that in an odd turn of events, Michael, raised in a very healthy Catholic family, has turned Atheist! Her mother reacts anything but being a Christian, saying no Christmas Presents for him because Christmas is about Jesus Christ!

The comments for the video were horrendous. I've learned one thing for sure, and it has nothing to do with the video itself. The comments were just idiotic pieces of crap. YouTube comments truly are an abyss of stupidity.

Back on topic:

I actually died laughing when watching this video. The mother claims to be Catholic, but it seems that she is incredibly two-faced on her religion. How so?

Her statement "We're going to church every Sunday". So, she lost commitment with the Christian God, and now noticing that her son's atheist, she says "OH LET'S GO BACK!!!"... :rofl: Totally hypocritical.

Next, she tries to induct fear into her own son by saying "Oh, you're not getting Christmas for Presents because Christmas is about JESUS CHRIST". Fun Fact: Christmas has strayed far far away from Jesus Christ only over the last hundred years or so. Santa Claus and materialism is pretty much what Christmas is about now. Also, following the first statement, I bet she has put not one commitment into celebrating Jesus Christ's birth on Christmas...

Thirdly, Christianity is about loving, and she seems to fall into the little pit of idiots who claim to be Christians yet doesn't know a single thing about the Christian. Saying that his beliefs are "bull----" is completely unreasonable. That is blatant stupidity, if she didn't like it, and was a Christian, she didn't have to be yelling at him like that. Christians shouldn't impose their beliefs like that, but rather give a reasonable argument, not a "WHAT THE ------1?!?! STFU!!!!"

What a nice mother, but what about the son?

All this kid seems to be though is a rebellious piece of crap. An Atheist just to be. He seems to have done no reasoning or logic behind it. He has seemed to be not holding his ground at all, it seemed as if he was like "oh, I'm bored, I'ma be an atheist lawl". Oh, what fun! So much logic put into that!

I think they're both at fault one way or another.

Regardless, though, this crap is hilarious. :rofl:

2. GuitarGuru

GuitarGuru Well-Known Member

Wow I lol'd at her stupidity.

3. oasis420

oasis420 Senior Member

god damn..... although when i told my parents that i do not believe in organized religion (i believe there is a god but you shouldnt have to go to church every week, and pay $$ to the church...) they flipped worse then that video....

to each there own, i think a parent should accept thier child no matter what...

4. Abgrund

Abgrund Well-Known Member

looks a little staged to me. =\

5. ferret

ferret Well-Known Member

The mom's an idiot. Don't force the religion on others. Probably doesn't even know what the hell she believes, but hey, she's Catholic, so she's automatically going to Heaven over it :rolleyes: . Mom needs to figure out what she believes and why, not sit there and tell her son "no Christmas presents (because that's what it's all about, right? Christmas presents? It's about Jesus, so I'm taking away your presents!)" and "we're going to church every day (oh, it's a punishment now? Kid doesn't need to be there - church ain't about that)." Doubt she's even a Christian, just happens to be what she's been told and has gone through the motions a few times to show herself that.

As a side note, it's funny how people attempt to explain someone else's religion to them... Even funnier when much of what they say is wrong.

6. NC Tallain

NC Tallain Well-Known Member

You know what would be even funnier? The way she would react if her son converted to Mormonism.

Yes I can make that joke. I'm Mormon.

7. XxCarbinexX

XxCarbinexX Well-Known Member

I like how the dad just sits there.

My dad would have kicked my ass by that point.

8. fuse

fuse Well-Known Member

lol the son couldn't stand his ground

"OH-K"

9. LA-384

LA-384 Well-Known Member

lol.

mom: "You're getting nothing, absolutely NOTHING for christmas!"
    son: "Okay!"
    mom: hesitates because she expected a different answer

This is a good example of how religion shouldn't be. This mother is no better than an islamic extremist. "You don't have the same believe as i do? then we will punish you for your sins!"

I know, the son probably didn't think things through correctly, but he has a point though. His parents decided to raise him as a christian. He didn't have a thing to say about it, he just had to accept it. Happened to me too. When i told my parents i didn't believe in god or anything that has to do with it, they were like; "but, you're christian. You allways went to church". Well i didn't have much choice when i was still a kid did i?

I'm glad that religion in holland isn't as "extreme" as in the USA (this video). My parents didn't react the same, nor would any other parent in the netherlands. we're all like "well if that's your opinion, then go for it".

10. .Embrace.

.Embrace. Well-Known Member

lol YOUR NOT GETTING ANYTHING FOR CHRISTMAS.

11. femiCOM

femiCOM Well-Known Member

do people put thought when they become religious?
    nope....normally you grow up believing what ur parents believe, putting no thought at all.

12. ferret

ferret Well-Known Member

I do wish that you'd take into account that one idiot does not make a (insert nation, belief system, way of life, practices etc. etc. ). The mother was and is out of line. No reason to generalize. Note how the "normal" people aren't the ones that get the air time -- the "extreme" people get it, and when they do, the uninformed take it as that they represent all of whatever they're of (again, a nation, religion, etc. etc.).

The mother doesn't have a clue in the world what she believes in; she's claiming that going to church, getting confirmed, etc. etc. ("going through the motions") is what makes her a Christian. I'm in doubt as to whether she actually is one. When your parents brought the "but you're a Christian/You always went to church," I'd like to think that they would know that going to church does not make a Christian.

Sweeping all of this aside (as mentioned earlier), this woman is no different from an Islamic extremist in damning those that do not believe as she does.

Do people think when they decide to post? Nope... Normally, they just spew out what they've been told, along with a few popular misconceptions tossed in.

Easy to generalize when you've got no clue what you're talking about or what you're condemning, isn't it? Get that aforementioned clue, then come back.

---

Edit: Some are saying that the video was staged. Rather nice of whoever did, if that is true... :rolleyes:

13. LA-384

LA-384 Well-Known Member

i know, it was wrong of me to say "USA (this video)". what i meant to say is that christianity in the usa is on a whole other level then it is in the netherlands. Over here most people don't really know what to believe, and don't care so much either.

about my parents. they didn't actually say "but you went to church", but i couldn't explain it otherwise. I don't know how it's called in english, but i can describe it. Short after you get born, you'll be brought to a church, and the priest will pour (holy) water over your head. a couple of years later you go to church again, and do your (communion?) after that you are allowed to get that peace of bread. A few years after that you go again to church and do something like a communion but different.

The pouring water thing and the communion is both "forced" (you don't really know what is going on and you just obey your parents). the second communion-thing is all about the presents and the party.

my parents thought that undergoing those things made me a christian, but i actually started to think about religion a few years ago (i'm now 22) I think my parents aren't real christians, at least they don't know all the things about it, and don't care either. I can't be bothered as long as they're not going to convince other people about their believes. and i doubt they ever will.

14. ferret

ferret Well-Known Member

I understand you now. I thought something else when I read your post.

I'm going to assume that you were raised Catholic. That's a major problem I happen to have with Catholicism -- it's too rooted in procedure and not rooted enough in substance (actual Christianity). Baptism at birth is a perfect example -- I don't believe that Christianity should be forced upon someone, especially someone as impressionable as a young child.

I think that that's where the whole "it's forced upon kids" argument comes from. What they're bringing up is Catholicism, not Christianity. Christianity is a belief in God, his Son, and a whole slew of other things. Catholicism is procedure, though Christianity can come out of that. I'm not saying that all Catholics aren't Christian, I'm saying that many aren't. Catholicism teaches a lot of "you have to do x to be saved," though much of this is not rooted in the Bible.

15. LA-384

LA-384 Well-Known Member

exactly! that's what it's called catholicism, well (roman) catholicism to be entirely acurate. The dutch are seperated into 2 main/original believes.
    roman catholicism and protestants (now with all the immigrants the islam is taking over though)

(i'm sure i'm probably telling this all wrong, but i never showed interest in the true history).