A Few Of My Shots

Discussion in 'Photography' started by jamesx, Feb 22, 2009.

Sponsored By: BAK Factory Outlet
  1. jamesx

jamesx Well-Known Member

Well, here's a few of my shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Click for bigger (except first, I stole that one from my Facebook because it's not edited yet).

Thoughts?

2. iceyx

iceyx Member

There Really Good Shots& Awesome Edits.. ^-^

3. jamesx

jamesx Well-Known Member

The only ones edited out of camera are 4, 5, 7, 10 and 15. And even then, it's only exposure blending. :P
    Thanks a lot though. :)

4. Local

Local Well-Known Member

I love the idea on the 2nd to last :P great work keep it up n share more :)

5. jamesx

jamesx Well-Known Member

...moar?

6. jamesx

jamesx Well-Known Member

u srs? That's it...?

7. }SoC{SainT

}SoC{SainT Well-Known Member

My favorite ones are the the Last Train Home, Batter Up, Walk the Line, and Cold Day in the Sun. So you've probably noticed that I like lines a lot ;). For Walk the Line, I think it might be more powerful with either more or less contrast. Right now it's sitting in the middle. Speaking symbolically, I can't tell if I'm walking a somber path, or a surreal and happy path (feels 1-2 third stops under exposed too). The others ones: just such great lines and perception. And Cold Day in the Sun has an amazing light quality to do.

Your editing, to me, feels a bit extreme. Except for 10, I feel that the others might be stronger with a less drastic amount of editing. I really love the composition of the stop sign, but the masking is really bothering me. I look at it and it's obvious to me that you edited that particular sign since it has a vignetting to it. The eyes are a personal preference, just not feelin' the patterns and colors in them. You still did a great job on those and didn't make any of the common mistakes of editing eyes. The last one: the sky just looks wrong. It doesn't give me a tropical feeling, it more adds to the effect that I'm going to fall off the Earth (don't ask why, I don't know. I get that feeling when I look at it).

I edit all of my photos, but most are just minor tweaks to get them how I wanted them in the first place. I wholeheartedly believe in editing, since it's what you do in the darkroom too. Just would like to see some more editing in the other photos, if only to tweak contrast and exposure a little bit ;)

Overall, I think your a great photographer :). I can see that you've taken classes since you have an eye for what most people don't see.

8. kcmatt

kcmatt Active Member

They are really nice photographs. I especially like the second to last one that caught my eye.
    May I ask what camera you use?

9. jamesx

jamesx Well-Known Member

Thank you socsaint, and yes, I know the last one is edited way too much. I was using another computer and didn't notice how much contrast/saturation there really was in the sky. The stop sign was actually not edited a lot, just a bit of contrast. The eyes weren't edited whatsoever, just blended some exposures, that's the real eye.

Thanks a lot though, it's great to see some real comments.

Matt KC, thanks, I use a Canon Rebel XSi.