A Clockwork Orange

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Abgrund, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Greasy Pete

Greasy Pete Senior Member

i have it, great movie.

2. Papermache

Papermache Well-Known Member

Second greatest movie of all time. After 2001.

What he said. Stanley Kubrick, the director, is so great because his movies portray deep morals and mind altering experiences.

Code:
    Protogonist Alex is an "ultraviolent" youth in futuristic Britian. As with all luck, his eventually runs out and he's arrested and convicted of murder and rape. While in prison, Alex learns of an experimental program in which convicts are programed to detest violence. If he goes through the program his sentence will be reduced and he will be back on the streets sooner than expected. But Alex's ordeals are far from over once he hits the mean streets of Britian that he had a hand in creating.  Written by Nikki Carlyle

In a futuristic Britain, a gang of teenagers go on the rampage every night, beating and raping helpless victims. After one of the boys quells an uprising in the gang, they knock him out and leave him for the police to find. He agrees to try "aversion therapy" to shorten his jail sentence. When he is eventually let out, he hates violence, but the rest of his gang members are still after him. Written by Colin Tinto {[email protected]}

Alex, a teenage hooligan in a near-future Britain, gets jailed by the police. There he volunteers as guinea pig for a new aversion therapy proposed by the government to make room in prisons for political prisoners. "Cured" of his hooliganism and released, he is rejected by his friends and relatives. Eventually nearly dying, he becomes a major embarrassment for the government, who arrange to cure him of his cure. A pivotal moment is when he and his gang break into an author's home: the book he is writing (called "A Clockwork Orange") is a plea against the use of aversion therapy, on the grounds that it turns people into Clockwork Oranges (Orang is Malay for "Man"): they are not being good from choice (sentiments later echoed by the prison chaplain). The film reflects this: many bad scenes in a Clockwork Orange are accompanied by jolly music; if we are to experience them as we should, we have to do it consciously, by realising they are bad, and not because the director tells us so through the use of music and images. Written by Steven Pemberton {[email protected]}

Stomping, whomping, stealing, singing, tap-dancing, violating, Derby-topped teddy-boy hooligan Alex has his own way of having a good time. He has it at the tragic expense of others. Alex's journey from amoral punk to brainwashed proper citizen forms the dynamic arc of Stanley Kubrick's future-shook vision of Anthony Burgess's novel. Unforgettable images, startling musical counterpoints, the fascinating language used by Alex and his pals - Kubrick shapes them into a shattering whole. Hugely controversial when first released, A Clockwork Orange won the New York Film Critics Best Picture and Director honors and earned four Academy Award nominations, including Best Picture. The power of its art is such that it still entices, shocks, and holds us in its grasp. Written by Jenna Quaranta

Alex, a violent juvenile in the near future, is caught after a number of brutal rapes and murders. While imprisoned, he submits to a controversial experiment to make criminals ill at the mildest suggestion of violence or conflict. Now Alex's victims want to welcome him back into society with the same enthusiasm he has always exhibited when performing his crimes.
    This should suffice.

3. kovan

kovan Senior Member

never seen this film, probably should,, cause i only hear good things about it

4. Ravr

Ravr _______________

is it better?

watching it now, ------ing brrilliant so far :D

5. pwnzor

pwnzor Senior Member

What's the first?

6. Ravr

Ravr _______________

7. Papermache

Papermache Well-Known Member

That I do. I would be interested in seeing your responses, most people either love it or hate it after watching the ending. It essentially boils down to whether they understand it or not.

8. Ravr

Ravr _______________

i'll watch it in the near future.

9. pwnzor

pwnzor Senior Member

Ohhh.

Never seen either CO or Space Odyssey.. however Space Odyssey has a big following too it, so one day I'll have to sit myself down and watch it.

10. cole32547

cole32547 Member

Yeah i liked both but i think the book was much better, as it always seems to be.

11. Ravr

Ravr _______________

surely one off the best movies i've seen :D

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q6QXB9OUH8M"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q6QXB9OUH8M" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

awesome soundtrack :D

12. -=117=-

-=117=- Well-Known Member

My movie taste is different. Anything more said would be void.

I'm glad I've never seen the movie. I plan to keep it that way.

13. Ravr

Ravr _______________

your missing out :)