7 Tips To Minimize Exam Stress

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zohair, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Zohair

Zohair Formerly zohBOT

7 tips to minimize exam stress

For those of you who are appearing for these exams, here are tips that can help minimize the stress.

i. Revision tips

Develop a timetable to monitor your progress. Make sure you allocate adequate time for fun and relaxation as well.
    While revising a subject, practice writing. This would be an actual simulation of the examination itself. Plan your revision and complete it in time. This will give you a sense of achievement and build your confidence.
    While revising, vary subjects and their difficulty so you don't get bored or disheartened. Set realistic targets of what you can achieve in the time available.
    Spend as much time on recall as on reading. Practice by writing answers as you would do in the exam. This will help you remember the important points when you answer each paper.
    Practice writing answers under exam conditions. Take three hour tests, without a break in between, preferably at the same time as that of the exam. This will help your body clock adjust to the examination time and conditions.

ii. Time out

To prevent mental fatigue, take a short break as soon as you notice your mind is losing concentration. Stick to activities that do not break your study continuum during these breaks. Avoid television and loud music. You will then be able to come back to your revision refreshed.
    It is important to relax. Your mind and body perform at their best only if you get adequate rest.

iii. Maintain a regular sleep pattern

A regular seven hours of sleep is mandatory for the body to function well. Also, sleep at a regular time; don't alter your sleeping cycle.

It is not important whether you study late or get up early, as long as you get into the habit of being most alert at the same time as that of the exam.
    Try and stop working an hour before bedtime. You will find it helpful to do some muscular relaxation, which is particularly effective in relieving stress.
    iv. What to eat
    Food rich in vitamins and proteins, such as green leafy vegetables and fresh fruits, are a must.
    The nutrients will help your brain stay sharp. Avoid food with high fat content.
    Don't drink too much coffee, tea or fizzy drinks. Caffeine will keep you up and reduce the clarity of your thinking.

v. NO distractions

Keep all unimportant issues at bay.
    Right now, the board examinations should be your only focus. Stay away from distractions that could cause loss of concentration or unwanted anxiety. Stick to activities that do not break your study continuum.

vi. The power of positive thinking

Spend time with people who have a positive effect. It will rub off on you.
    Avoid negative thoughts, such as 'Everyone else seems better organized, while I'm struggling.' Challenge such thoughts with positive thinking; for example, 'I have done well in exams before.'

vii. Practice relaxation techniques

Practice deep breathing, meditation and yoga as forms of relaxation. They help your body relax and reduce stress. Alternately, take a brisk walk in fresh air after your day's revision is over.
    If you believe in God, pray before you start studying. Prayer will help you increase confidence reduce your stress as well.

And yes, lots of luck with those exams

2. BeatdownT

BeatdownT Well-Known Member

thanks this'll really help

3. DefaultVoid

DefaultVoid Well-Known Member

Great timing! High School Exit Exams coming up :D

4. Vodka?

Vodka? Well-Known Member

Australia, Where the bloody hell are you?
    well, you forgot breakfast.. one main meal of the day

they say weatbix give you all the energy you need for the day.. *was it weatbix or milk?.. not sure*

5. Trax

Trax Well-Known Member

Uh, yeah. All of which I already know though.

6. Vodka?

Vodka? Well-Known Member

did you pass exams Trax?

7. Cxr_azy

Cxr_azy Well-Known Member

haha, the week after I take 'em.

O well, good list...

8. legendbz

legendbz Well-Known Member

thank this might come in handy

9. scrider

scrider Well-Known Member

hmm that didnt really help me...since i dont really get nervous for exams:D lol once i actualy forgot that i had one :D:D lol i woke up on monday still thinkin it sunday n i realized that i got exam...lol it was science exam n i got 79% on da exam:P im da pwnage...n i didnt really study ..well few days be4 for about 5-10mins not more :D lol so ya..thx anyways!

10. Ice92888

Ice92888 Well-Known Member

Very very helpful yet again. :)

11. Zeldrik

Zeldrik Well-Known Member

i find that incrediably useful thanks buddy

12. Vodka?

Vodka? Well-Known Member

lol, this would be helpuf, to most people iv known, but wouldnt they be nervious on the day.. you know i would :|

13. DDL

DDL Well-Known Member

Thanks for this...I take the ACT in April..

14. Zohair

Zohair Formerly zohBOT

Thanx everyone

15. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

just pop some vicodin before taking the test.