56kers Don't Deserve To View This Site

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xlink, Mar 1, 2005.

1. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

both me and a fair amount of my friends(in reality) have High speed internet connections, most of us using a comcast cable cable modem(4+mbps). Recently a small debate came amoung us, who should we design graphics/ sites for, the low end or the high end? I personally have been a bandwidth freak, many of my layouts are less than 100k, thoughrecently I have been going higher. Most everyone else disagrees with me.

What is your opinion? note I am asking users of one of the bigest bandwidth abuser sites in history(no offense to GR it is a graphics site after all)

2. SoliDious

SoliDious Well-Known Member

Who cares, it'll load for either person :)

3. keinherz

keinherz Member

It's not their fault. Many a times broadband is expensive for the commonfolk, so the only option available is 56k. I had 56k for 4-5 yrs, and now I got cable thru this deal $30/month for one year instead of $70. There's no reason to discriminate against 56k-ers. Sure, they'll be wasting their phone bill just downloading one pic, but it's not gunna hurt you.

4. hellstorm

hellstorm Well-Known Member

yea i agree... its not the 56kers fault they have that.. they just cant afford better cause if they wanted to they would

5. Not Him

Not Him Well-Known Member

I don't care. I only car about 56kers who come into a Halo server and lag it to hell. Then you kick them and they come back and say why? You say it's because they are 56k and lag and they say so. Maybe they should realize not everyone enjoys playing online games where people skip around like mo foes. As far as websites go, it doesn't matter. I just wish there was a patch, program, something to disallow 56kers to join a halo server.

6. keinherz

keinherz Member

lmao there should be a separate server for 56k people only.

7. Bona Fide

Bona Fide Well-Known Member

Who cares about Halo? I just don't bother with those kinds of people. Them and the standby ----ers. MY GOD...

As far as your website is concerned, I'm slightly on your side here. I understand fully the plight of people with 56k. Sometimes broadband is just too expensive. But, since it's a graphics site, where you will be showing your art, you should not have to compromise your work just so someone else can see it.

8. Evangelos

Evangelos Well-Known Member

it's all about the people who visit and your main group your focussing on, most designers with sigs and all not all have cable or up so it should remain user friendly imo, i wouldn't like to wait 5 minutes before the main page is loaded because it's so full of flash images and all

evan

9. Phat Albert

Phat Albert Well-Known Member

Just pretend 56kers dont exist. Make websites for people who have high speed internet, and who can load it fast. I got a T1 connection, and I never get lag. If I go to a webpage, the webpage is instantly loaded, no matter how big it is.

10. mash

mash Well-Known Member

Plus in some areas you cant even get any better than 56k. I had a friend that moved and he cant get cable, dsl, or anything, just 56k. That's not their fault.

11. -FM-liquid

-FM-liquid Well-Known Member

Ya it took them awhile before they put it in my area... i had 56K for awhile.. <_<

12. OMEGAMAN

OMEGAMAN Well-Known Member

Yeah, but the areas that can only get 56k get smaller everyday. I'm sure the majority of the US can now get broadband, and if thats not the case right now, it will be in a few years. And price isn't a valid excuse. I pay 5-10 dollars more for Verizon DSL than I did for AOL, and the service is literally 50x faster. Who honestly can't spare an extra 10 bucks a month?

13. SponX

SponX Well-Known Member

If you have 56k its your own problem, no days not a lot of people have 56k unless there stupid. And if you know this site, then you really should have a cable line, DSL line, ADSL line, T1 and so on, cause really if you are into graphic design there is no reason in the world you would have 56k, and if you did... your a fool, thats about it.

14. Bona Fide

Bona Fide Well-Known Member

Yeah seriously.

AT&T 56k : $14.99/month
    Verizon DSL : $29.99/month
    Comcast Cable : $34.99/month

It's an extra $15/month for a connection that is literally at least 60x faster.

15. SponX

SponX Well-Known Member

literally at least 60x faster. ahahha no man more like 100% faster...