~ #3 - Discussion Thread ~

Discussion in 'GR Photography Archive' started by Nicasus, Oct 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Spoon

A Spoon Well-Known Member

It's hard to be on the outskirts of a city. They have fences and don't look pretty.

2. King Damager

King Damager Well-Known Member

Yeah, living in the country really limits photos for cityscapes :)

I had to dig up my favorite picture from a recent trip to Paris.

3. wizman90

wizman90 Well-Known Member

my hands down to FriendlyGuy i just loved that pic

4. msabas

msabas Well-Known Member

I hear you not everyone is in the city so I guess that would cause a problem...

5. likepeas

likepeas Senior Member

guess its time for voting ?

6. Nicasus

Nicasus Well-Known Member

Yep, entry thread is closed :)

7. l Sh0tCl0cK l

l Sh0tCl0cK l Well-Known Member

Good luck every1

8. msabas

msabas Well-Known Member

good luck to all , there is a few that are very nice and are going to be very close calls.

9. ZERV

ZERV Well-Known Member

amagads! closed yesterday. i had a purdy photo. :(

10. A Spoon

A Spoon Well-Known Member

Critique Corner. Your piece is in here, so if you don't want it to be critiqued, let me know and I'll pull it off.

The problem from an artistic perspective with that shot is the contrast between the foreground and the background. Most of the image is grayish blue, but the people are wearing colorful shirts. Normally, this would be good for contrast, but the shirts seem a bit too dull, like they're trying to fade in but can't.
    On the other hand, the people work (not their colors) in the fact that the image transfers from chaos to determination (the scrambling/disorganized people to the abstract building to the skyscrapers). Composition is good, color execution is off, as well as focus. The eye sort of slips around the bottom of the photo and it doesn't utilize any photographic power points to direct where you should be looking. The Bean is a bit "blockish" of the vertical lines and lines are what determine the flow of a picture. All in all, my only problem is with the bottom of the picture, but as everyone who's every tried to photograph a monument knows, it's impossible to move the people away. I like it, but I wish you had the place to yourself =(

Likepeas:
    Excellent use of horizontal vs. diagonal lines. Order in Chaos. Try moving closer to the buildings and aiming up next time to give them a more immense feel (as long as you don't get your camera wet =P). I like this shot.

Glass Pyramid Person:
    You should put your name on it. Great use of lines, glass, and color, but the right side is a bit lacking and that's the largest power point in a picture. Most people look from left to right.

Giga:
    Photography is the art of capturing lights, shadows, and colors. Overcast days have none of those. Try 7:20-8:30 a.m. (during this time of year in the Northwest. It will be different depending on where you are) on a clear day for some of the most beautiful things you'll ever see.

Tomarie:
    Colors... Big, immense feel... The scary part is that it looks real, but the contrast is so unbelievable. Nice job, the only thing I can think of is to get a little less empty space at the top.

I need to log off, so I'll harass the rest of you guys later.

11. Gigamaster89

Gigamaster89 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the critique lol. I was at sea when I took that picture, and as luck would have it, it was drizziling that day, meh.

EDIT - Then again, one could argue that it was taken like that just to set the mood. I'm sure all of us have seen skylines with nice skys and what not over and over again, the overcast could give it a dark tone?

The same goes for your critique of FriendlyGuy's picture. I personally think that having the people there sets the picture apart from any other monument shot. It is especially made better by that fact that the people walking were out of focus, where as if it was in focus, it would decrease the appeal of it...to me at least.

12. King Damager

Thanks for the critique, It's the Louvre xD middle of Paris, uhm name is on it, bottom left, I didn't really want it to be obvious. So yeah its hidden away there. But thanks for the advice about the positioning I'll try that next time.

13. Dior

Dior -1xx,x00 credits.

Really like your picture King, best of the lot imo.

14. King Damager

Wow. Really? Thanks Alot :)

15. Revolution7

Revolution7 Well-Known Member

When do we find out who the winner is??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.