~ #20 - Winners' Thread ~

Discussion in 'GR Photography Archive' started by Sanity Penguin, Mar 25, 2009.

  1. Sanity Penguin

    Sanity Penguin My sex is on fire

    Age:
    35
    Posts:
    3,349
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2006
    Location:
    Belgium
    <div align="center"><span style="color:#9ade91">Congratulations! You've won 200 GameRenders Credits!
    200 Credit award handed out!

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]


    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Thank you all for entering and don't forget to join in our new competition! <span style="color:lightblue">Theme = emotions


    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Entries: 9!!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -</div>
     
  2. LuckyxFiasco

    LuckyxFiasco Well-Known Member

    Age:
    33
    Posts:
    173
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    May 12, 2008
    Location:
    Western Mass
    Great work everybody, truly inspiring!
     
  3. jamesx

    jamesx Well-Known Member

    Posts:
    67
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2009
    Don't think that shot deserved first, but, at least EE placed. *cough* he should have won *cough*
     
  4. }SoC{SainT

    }SoC{SainT Well-Known Member

    Age:
    33
    Posts:
    1,328
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    May 29, 2005
    Location:
    Oregon
    ^^Don't mind him, that shot had the best color and lighting going for it.

    Congrats guys :D
     
  5. jamesx

    jamesx Well-Known Member

    Posts:
    67
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2009
    Yeah, don't mind the guy with 5 years experience in photography, and goes to school for it. :cool:
     
  6. SuvivoR

    SuvivoR Well-Known Member

    Posts:
    1,183
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2008


    look out.

    i wanna see socsaint get mad.
    please :)

    nice entries. from everyone.
     
  7. }SoC{SainT

    }SoC{SainT Well-Known Member

    Age:
    33
    Posts:
    1,328
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    May 29, 2005
    Location:
    Oregon
    Not gonna happen :P. However, that doesn't mean I have to remain quiet ;) (I'm bad at being quiet)

    Do take into account that I'm a photography major myself, and that my teachers are all professionals in graphic design, photography, radio broadcasting, and video, and some of my classmates already have businesses (they're learning the digital side, as well as expanding their knowledge). Don't doubt me simply for the fact that you believe you know more. Art, for one, is subjective. And no one is always right; those who believe they are will come off as, pardon my language, jackasses. Why do you think a lot of people dislike Dementia? :lol:

    I love Eggman's photo. Really, I do. But I thought it could have been better. It has great shape, great lines, great symmetry. It just feels too dark, and the noise is unappealing. Elektro's entry, on the other hand, is perfectly exposed, no bothersome noise, great complimentary colors, nice composition, and very cool looking lighting, courtesy of the shiny sign. I felt both were cliché, but you're only as creative as your ability to hide your sources, so it's a moot point. I browse photography a lot more than the average person, even grabbing magazines just to dissect the photos.

    Eggman: great concept, good result, I'd probably reshoot it to try and make it even better. The noise could actually be fixed fairly easily if you want to go that route.

    If I had to vote between these three, I'd honestly be torn between mine and Elektro's. I like the colors and lighting in his, but the shape in mine. Mine has more distracting elements though. Either way, photographer or not, judges know what they like and what they don't like. James, you're one person. However they score this, multiple people are involved, and Elektro won almost by a landslide. Maybe there's reason, hmm? Just don't argue. You're a member, these people are volunteer staff. Show respect, smile, say good job, and call it good. Help improve the community instead of causing dissent.

    tl;dr? Stop complaining, be happy that there's a competition period, Elektro's entry was stronger, make GR better and not worse.
     
  8. Papermache

    Papermache Well-Known Member

    Age:
    14
    Posts:
    2,012
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2005
    Location:
    Vancouver
    I personally love my picture, I think it was one of the best shots I've taken. On the other hand Elektro stretches his hand out to a beautiful array of cool colors meeting warmed colors, very beautiful. I think he deserved his first place ribbon though I do not like the tree on the right side. The hint of rolling plains on the bottom right is magnificent as well, very awe-inspiring.
     
  9. }SoC{SainT

    }SoC{SainT Well-Known Member

    Age:
    33
    Posts:
    1,328
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    May 29, 2005
    Location:
    Oregon
    And thus the discussion should be closed!

    Ironically, I have a tree on the rightish side of mine too. I hate that tree. It bothers me <_<

    I like yours too, Mr. Egg. But why the noise? It makes me cry! ;( Beautiful composition, I just, ya know, have this thing about noise.
     
  10. Papermache

    Papermache Well-Known Member

    Age:
    14
    Posts:
    2,012
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2005
    Location:
    Vancouver
    It was on a cloudy day. The sky way completely white, with no shape or form to it. In order to deduce some sort of cloud shape I had to multi level the image, one with a light layer in order to show the metal of the tower in some form of detail, and the other a dark layer to show the cloud forms. It has been like this for 90% of the past month and the other 10% of the time has been when I am unable to shoot. I plan on retaking it sometime soon but it is not priority, plus it is a two hour walk from my house, there is no other way to get there.
     
  11. }SoC{SainT

    }SoC{SainT Well-Known Member

    Age:
    33
    Posts:
    1,328
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    May 29, 2005
    Location:
    Oregon
    Would that be where the slight glow is coming from? Well, either way, you worked with what you had, and that's all you can ever really do :) (also, I'm an Oregonian, so I know your pain)

    By the way, remember Camera Drawn? ;)
     
  12. Papermache

    Papermache Well-Known Member

    Age:
    14
    Posts:
    2,012
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2005
    Location:
    Vancouver
    It was on a cloudy day. The sky way completely white, with no shape or form to it. In order to deduce some sort of cloud shape I had to multi level the image, one with a light layer in order to show the metal of the tower in some form of detail, and the other a dark layer to show the cloud forms. It has been like this for 90% of the past month and the other 10% of the time has been when I am unable to shoot. I plan on retaking it sometime soon but it is not priority, plus it is a two hour walk from my house, there is no other way to get there.
    [/b][/quote]

    Would that be where the slight glow is coming from? Well, either way, you worked with what you had, and that's all you can ever really do :) (also, I'm an Oregonian, so I know your pain)

    By the way, remember Camera Drawn? ;)
    [/b][/quote]


    Yes that is. I have started working on a more permanent edit, but I would like to stick to the 100% original picture and not have to brush or touch-up anything. (Pssh you are like 4000 miles closer to the Equator than I :P).

    And yes, I posted.
     
  13. LuckyP25

    LuckyP25 Well-Known Member

    Posts:
    77
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2008
    socsaints picture is really nice
     
  14. Mortified Penguin

    Mortified Penguin Senior Member

    Age:
    33
    Posts:
    4,560
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2006
    Personally, I like Local's entry the most. I love the colors from eleKtro's and the perspective of SS' but I still prefer Local's. See, all about point of view.
     
  15. Local

    Local Well-Known Member

    Age:
    33
    Posts:
    359
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2006
    Location:
    Melbourne Florida
    aw thanks for the compliment :) I thought majority of the entries had a unique thing about them :P if you could combine em all u'd get something really cool :P
     

Share This Page