1st Template, Possibly My Portfolio

Discussion in 'Website Design and Coding' started by Aurora v.2, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Aurora v.2

Aurora v.2 Well-Known Member

Hey this is my first template, it's just a preview because I need suggestions. I'm thinking I should get rid of the banner and just add a logo. Overall, am I heading the right direction? Also, I do know it's very unoriginal but keep in mind that I'm still working on just getting the template down.

[​IMG]

2. Quagmire

Quagmire Well-Known Member

I agree with you get rid of the banner,
    secondly its really flat.
    add gradients and such.
    third font isnt very good from what i can see in this preview
    fourth the content boxes are really bland and plain, if there going to take up that much of the site you will need to make them more appealing.
    thats about all for now
    and im not really a fan of dark gray on light gray, maybe rethink the colors

3. iPro

iPro Senior Member

It's quite small. You won't be able to fit very much. Here are some things I noticed:

Full white or black backgrounds almost never work with a layout. Try adding a dark gray (#010101 for example) with a slight pattern (diagonal line, overlay, 10% opacity)
    Don't space you letters. Its a big mistake to do it, us as consumers want to see fresh, easy to read letters.
    The "tech" brushing on the top doesn't go with the template. If your going to make it have a "techy" feel, you should consider learning template brushing (Linky). It adds depth this way, instead of a simple brush.
    You may not want tutorials on your portfolio, put it in your resources.
    Finally, when adding a copyright, remember to add your real name, instead of a alias (if this were to be an actual portfolio). Looks more ----- when you put your real name.

Those are just my two cents on this subject. Not too bad for your first template.. God, 10X better then my first.. and second, and third.. but not my fourth :P

4. Aurora v.2

Aurora v.2 Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot for the advice guys. As I said, I really need help with this kind of stuff and you certainly helped me start off. By the way, it's so small because I uploaded it onto photobucket, and I originally used simply a 1024x768.

5. Res

Res Well-Known Member

Try adding some "depth" or gradients to liven it up a bit. They pretty much said everything else.

BTW in your copyright it says "Template made my Aurora" Dunno if you ment to do it but letting you know anyway.

6. 614-TM

614-TM Well-Known Member

it's really flat and bland. there's no real colors that jump out, it's all very neutral.

7. Niosis

Niosis Well-Known Member