100gb Bandwidth Per Month

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Zohair, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Zohair

Zohair Formerly zohBOT

Is it fair to have 100GB Bandwidth for you internet connection when you want to browse, stream videos and play online games? Our Telecom Provider (which I hate so much that I would switch to another ISP if only I had the option) is offering blazing speeds starting from 8Mbps to 30Mbps, I know that sounds *normal* for all of you but here people say wow when they see a 2Mbps connection. The catch is that they're offering only these connections with a cap over Bandwidth usage which they refer to as the 'Fair Usage Policy'. I don't think these morons should have that at all because when you're offering so high speed internet packages, your users would obviously be heavy ones who actually utilise their money by downloading massively, playing online games and streaming videos. I just want to ask you all if it's fair for them to cap the limit like this? Following are the rates of Internet connections with and without the offer I mentioned above.

30Mbps = 699AED/$190.30/£119.00
    16Mbps =549AED/$149.46/£93.46
    8Mbps =499AED/$135.85/£84.95
    4Mbps = 449AED/$122.24/£76.44
    2Mbps = 349AED/$95.01/£59.41
    1Mbps = 249AED/$67.79/£42.39

Aren't those rates exorbitantly high? Also have a look at this (false advertising):
    [​IMG]

And the company's technical experts (in the call centre) think that it's impossible to reach that given quota of 100GB in a month. ------ing arseholes!

Here's my calculation:

16Mbps = 2.00 MBps download speed = 2x60 seconds = 120MB
    120x60 minutes = 7.2GB
    7.2x24 hours = 172.8GB

pwned.

2. inverse

inverse Banned from GR

I have a 10mbit connection (the fastest consumer level plan in the country) and I've used 100gig in a single day. Ring them and tell them that is blatent false advertising. Fine print cannot contradict promises made in the advertising material. Unlimited can only and ever be unlimited if advertised as so.

3. p0wershot

p0wershot Well-Known Member

Most i've ever used in a month was around 50-60GB and thats with my streaming a lot of movies + downloading a lot of music.

4. Ravr

Ravr _______________

thats screwed up :P

5. Zohair

Zohair Formerly zohBOT

EXACTLY. But when I ring to tell them this, they instead pretend to know everything and more than me and tell me that it's fair and that there's nothing that can be done about it. The problem is they are the only telecom provider in the country and won't allow other companies to open here like Vodafone, O2, etc...

But I tend to download films and play a lot of online games and that would consume a lot of bandwidth.

Yes ravr that is messed up :(

6. DemsLover

DemsLover Senior Member

I'm going to be one of the first in the UK to get high speed broadband, up to 100mb/s, hope they don't cap it like this ¬_¬

7. Zohair

Zohair Formerly zohBOT

wow luck you all.. I wouldn't have ranted about it if they were caping it with an actually *fair* limit, say about 500GB. That would be fair.

8. Sock

Sock Well-Known Member

Mine's 10mbs

Or so they say.

Canada has horrible internet and cell service.

Apparently we're supposed to get some other providers coming soon.

Any way I'm able to check how much bandwidth I use in a month?

9. watermelonsoup

watermelonsoup las mujeres vampiro

I totally agree, I think I'm supposed to have something between 5 and 10mbs but I'm actually getting about 0.9mbs lol

10. inverse

inverse Banned from GR

I wonder how many people don't know the difference between a bit and a byte.

11. Sock

Sock Well-Known Member

Fortunately I do.

And I'm still regularly downloading at about 50kb/s when (if I"m doing the math right) I should be getting ~1mb/s.

So f....

12. inverse

inverse Banned from GR

Downloading from where?

13. Zohair

Zohair Formerly zohBOT

Yea, if you're downloading from a site that has multiple servers to download from or if you're using an IDM, then you should be able to see how much you're actually getting. And yes, you should be getting about 1.25MB p/s download speeds on a 10Mbps connection.

14. Ravr

Ravr _______________

best way to max your internetconnection is usenet :D i always download at a steady 2.3 to 2.4 MBps with my 20mbit connection.

15. inverse

inverse Banned from GR

Usenet, premium HTTP services (rapidshare, megaupload), FTP services should all max out potential connection speeds, provided your speed doesn't exceed the maximum capable stream of the service provider.