1 Terabyte?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by LostUchiha, Jan 4, 2008.

1. pianoman0723

pianoman0723 Well-Known Member

who could possibly need that much space? i have 250MB and i know i'll never fill it...

2. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

external drives = fail

3. inverse

inverse Banned from GR

Ring them. Trust me, if you don't, they'll ether forget about it, or hire the first person they see. Also, it'll show initiative. And if you go for an interview, wear a tie. First thing any employers will judge you on is appearance. Even if it's a casual position, they'll like people who are prepared to make the effort.

And external drives are fail. That said, I have 500Gig worth of external drives I've put together I'd be lost without. They have their place.

4. iSav

iSav Well-Known Member

Getting the biggest hard drive on the market is stupid. I would get the hard drive with the best cents / GB and RAID 0/5 them to your needs =]

5. inverse

inverse Banned from GR

Yes, but when you're building a file server, going for 12 HDDs when 6 will suffice is foolish. Since the server only has a 800w PSU, and is running a dual Xeons, 4gig of RAM and using a 2600XT, the more it starts to make a difference. Lucky for me, i got the motherboard and CPU for free. The RAM cost a bit though. Server RAM is a bit expensive. performs well, though.

6. iSav

iSav Well-Known Member

Its obviously a different situation if youve got a file server, I'm talking about a regular desktop users who are into HD (like me)

7. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

normal desktop users don't drop $$$ a higher end raid controllers.

that said I need to buy one. it's on my list of things to get.

8. inverse

inverse Banned from GR

yeah, I'm just lucky to know a SysAdmin who has access to lots of second hand server equipment. He gave me 2 dual core Xeons and a nice motherboard for free. Really, the big money in building server machines is things like Raid controllers (which you have to get good ones, cos dodgy ones = lots of HDD failure resulting in lots of lost files.) and the like. It's really great to have one, if you're using a network with 5 users and 7 different PC's, like in my household. Since 5 of those PCs are laptops with minimal HDD space, we all use the space on the server, and I also use it as a media center in my living room.

9. Nicasus

Nicasus Well-Known Member

My HD is 290 GB and I don't really need more...

10. iSav

iSav Well-Known Member

Yeah well, thats you. However, plenty of people are on the same boat as you, using their PC for PS, forums and some games.

This discussion, I assume are for those at the next level, implementing file servers with RAID and high definition movie editors.

11. inverse

inverse Banned from GR

Even if you aren't looking to build a server, buying a couple of 500Gig or a 1TB HDDs is practical for a lot of people. Everytime I go to a big LAN i buy a new HDD as I always walk out with at least 250gig of files.

12. iSav

iSav Well-Known Member

Tell me about it =]

13. inverse

inverse Banned from GR

Yeah, at least, with the price of HDDs these days it's easy as pie to buy another one. I have about a dozen unused drives sitting in my 'anonymous pile of computer junk that most people would kill for' of sizes varying from about 250gig to 750gig. One thing about HDDs is they last a long time. That's why i dont bother selling them. you never know when you may need one.

14. REclusion

REclusion Senior Member

i have liek 5 tb of hds total...and i only use 500 gigs...so u only really need 500 gigs max

note that i didnt buy them. they were givin to me from work.

15. iSav

iSav Well-Known Member

250MB! WOW!