Improvement?

Discussion in 'Signatures' started by [DTA], Feb 6, 2013.

1. [DTA]

[DTA] Well-Known Member

If you saw my last thread then this truck should look familiar. It was the last signature posted in a forest (I was currently finishing it but ditched it after getting advice from here). I took the advice of the members here and tweaked how I was doing things. I used a much larger canvas to work with then cropped/resized. I cut the truck out and searched for a appropriate background. I tried to use less filters although I did get careless with blending some on a larger background. Let me know if there is anything you think I can improve on. As always your oppinions are appreciated and hopefully you can see they are put to use! Not the best but headed in the right direction.
    [​IMG]

2. GAm3rX

GAm3rX Senior Member

I Dont mean to be a downer... but im having trouble liking anything in this sig... its like you lost all your techniques and took a background throw a truck on there threw text and then took a c4d or some snow and threw it in there too and called it a sig.... add some blending, some composition, and choose a High Qaulity Render. I am glad your still working on your art work.

3. [DTA]

[DTA] Well-Known Member

This post didnt sit well with me on a few levels.

1. Exactly how does that post help me improve at all? Actually was there anything useful I should have got from this?

2. I never understood how someone can say they do not like something at all because of how simple it is. Or atleast that's what I believe you were trying to say. I dont believe a signature has to be 1000 layers and 2500 images filtered with a touch of painting to look good. If that was the look I was going for then I wouldnt be using a truck that should be in a real life enviroment.

3. A signature can be a line of text, a stock picture cropped, or really anything to reflect the personality of the poster. To act as if this is not a signature is pretty naive.

4. These signatures I am making are not supposed to be wild and crazy, I am taking a truck parked in a driveway and giving it life. Not alot was done, about 4 stock pictures to bring the snow and background together and some filter work to blend the truck in and make it work.

I am not angry that you do not like the signature, but I am upset that you failed to give any feedback that can assist me to get better.

4. GAm3rX

GAm3rX Senior Member

i agree with you, i totally understand where you are coming from, its not that i dont like the signature its not that i dont like you, i just find it simple.. i do not like simple im a type of person who likes suprising, eye catching signatures, with that said everyone has the right to there own opinion and you posted this to get others opinions, that was my opinion, not only did i give my opinion i also gave advice work on your blending,(look up blending tuts), i have given serveral different ways to "Get better" but you obviously looked past that... i am not going to talk bad about you im not that great at photoshop myself im decent just not the best.... you decided to do something simple i didnt like it and gave my input simple as that, i love your signature but dont like your new one... its the style i dont like simple lol.... but keep working at it as im sure you will get better and learn more.

5. SM Ascillor

SM Ascillor Senior Member

Let's not confuse simple with plain (simplicity does not equal bad, it just means stripped down. Art doesn't have to be overloaded to be nice; there's a ton of work out there that one of its appealing points is actually it's simplicity. Plain = boring.) Having said that I dont think this is a plain sig, nor basic.

Being able to see what someone has done to produce a sig doesn't make it any poorer; the execution is important, and in this case you can tell he's put in the effort to make it cleaner and more high quality, without overblurring/oversharpening/overcontrast/avoiding pixelation etc. If we asked some ps newbies to make a car sig like that their end result wouldn't be nowhere near as nice.

Saying he's just slapped on some c4d/snow is an injustice; it doesn't feel slapped on at all, the car feels like it's actually in motion.

Gonna agree though that the blending needs work - what that means is the outline/edge on the left side of the car, near the fender and top of the engine, is a bit too defined - I know it seems a bit counterintuitive to say that you should cut out using pen tool and then say edges are too sharp, but you should blur it a bit; dont overdo it though; right now you can tell the car and the bg are different pics because of the edge - you wanna make us believe it's one image. I do think the top of the car and the rest does blend in though, with the snow too.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think we could put up the past forest sig and this snow sig up for "battle" or/and and ask the guy who he's making it for to tell us which he prefers, and I'm pretty positive that the guy at least will answer the snow one. Maybe the rest of GR will disagree though. To me, sometimes less is more.

6. [DTA]

[DTA] Well-Known Member

Thanks man you nailed what I was trying to say. I see what you mean by it being to sharp, I saw it but didnt know quite how to tackle it. I will try doing a light blur. I have my next truck cut out and ready to be played with so I'll keep it in mind and try to blend it all together a tad better :D.