Problem With Theme...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by elusive., Sep 17, 2005.

1. elusive.

elusive. Well-Known Member

Well, I was using a trial of ThemeXP as I was only going to use the theme for a few days, to compare speeds...then I forgot to change back to a default theme for awhile, or was too lazy, can't remember...anyways, so the trial ran out, today I believe, last time I restarted.

I restarted when BF2 froze up...it happens occassionally, I get used to it. When it started up and I logged in I could see icons, but no words, I could see the start button, but nothing but the icons when I opened it...to sum it all up, I can see icons, but everything else is black, literally, right click menus, text, backgrounds, EVERYTHING. I don't want to reformat as I don't recall where my dad put the disks, but if I have to I will, any suggestions before I call him and ask where the disks are?

BTW: Don't say "just reformat" or "i dont know what you're talking about", if you can't help, don't bother posting.

I wasn't able to save it as .JPG so I can't upload it anywhere, it's always either too large, or they don't support .BMP, so if someone wants to change it to .JPG and upload it, please AIM me at uncorrupteddeath and let me send it to you through a direct connection, since I can't attach it, because of size, either.

EDIT: By "it" I mean the screenshot I managed to take of it, I don't know how I forgot to specify that, lol.

2. Vintage_

Vintage_ Well-Known Member

i had the same problem with a different game. i scanned my comp with a virus scanner, nothing. spyware/adaware, very little. took it to circuit city, full system scanned it, had 20 viruses, and over 500 spyware/adaware. if u dont get any help from the ppl here, take it to a compusa, circuit city etc... 15-30 bucks to do a full system scan/ fix wuts wrong.

3. elusive.

Meh, that's like 30 minutes away, I could save myself $30 and 30 minutes by just doing a full reformat, it's not like I have anything on it that I couldn't live without...besides, I doubt they could even do it with the way this thing is right now, you can barely see anything unless you're on a website or something :(

4. elusive.

*Bump* I realize people on this forum are mainly credit hungry whores that will do anything for credits, so I'll give all of my credits to someone that gives me a working way to fix it, without reformatting. So basically, it's going to have to be a step by step explanation, probably with images since I can't really SEE what I'm doing, like a tutorial I guess....if I don't get a response that actually helps then I'll just reformat tomorrow :(

5. SwAT

SwAT Well-Known Member

you can try a system restore, hold on ill aim you

edit: you're not on aim, mines Trowa321 msg me later

6. Gothic Surge

Gothic Surge Well-Known Member

Not just that but if you have to just go to master reset..and it will take back all your defaults...i had to do that a few times to my computer!!!

i think its called master default or something

7. Sociopath

Sociopath Well-Known Member

Patch your uxtheme.dll file use this program.

Fix

Edit: Grammar Issues...

8. elusive.

Well I was going to do that, but I can't seem to find my way to the screen without being able to see it, lol

@Blazeman - No clue what you mean...

@Sociopath - The page wouldn't load for me :(

9. cochise

cochise Well-Known Member

Thats not really a good thing to say to the people who you are trying to get to help you.

You said that you were not able to reconvert to the original theme? Even though you can't see the text on the icons, do they still work? If they still work click the start menu and find the control panel, even if it takes you some trial and error to find it. When you open the control panel find the display properties(usually the icon is a computer monitor with a paintbrush on it). After you've opened the Display Properties, you should be able to revert to the original theme and once your restore to your original theme, it might fix your problem.

Let me know if that does/doesn't work, if it doesn't then tell me and I will have some more thing for you to try before you either bring it into a pro or reboot the whole HD.

10. elusive.

Thats not really a good thing to say to the people who you are trying to get to help you.

You said that you were not able to reconvert to the original theme? Even though you can't see the text on the icons, do they still work? If they still work click the start menu and find the control panel, even if it takes you some trial and error to find it. When you open the control panel find the display properties(usually the icon is a computer monitor with a paintbrush on it). After you've opened the Display Properties, you should be able to revert to the original theme and once your restore to your original theme, it might fix your problem.

Let me know if that does/doesn't work, if it doesn't then tell me and I will have some more thing for you to try before you either bring it into a pro or reboot the whole HD. [/b][/quote]
    Well, I was going to do that, I got the display properties opened, but I couldn't see anything on it, it was all black, so I couldn't find the drop-down menu on there :(

Someone decided to lose my Windows disks :( So now I have to wait until next week and go and re-buy windows so I can reformat :( Oh well, I guess I'll live...since I can still play my games normally, which makes me almost positively sure that it is indeed the theme causing this...

If someone wouldn't mind taking a screenshot the of display menu, on the theme tab, that would GREATLY help :)

11. SwAT

SwAT Well-Known Member

i took a screen shot for you

[​IMG]

imageshack

12. cochise

I think I have figured your problem out, I can explain it to you though AIM cuz I have to transfer some files that may have been deleted and are causing your problems.

13. Sociopath

Sociopath Well-Known Member

Fix

Try that.

14. elusive.

*Bump* Might as well see if anyone else has a solution while I patiently try to figure it out and wait on [MAUL] :)

15. cochise

UGH, I was just about to IM you on AIM then you logged off...get back on lol