Band Photography

Discussion in 'Photography' started by mParanoia, Mar 12, 2009.

Sponsored By: BAK Factory Outlet
  1. mParanoia

mParanoia Well-Known Member

2. UNSTOPABLE

UNSTOPABLE Well-Known Member

i like 1,3 and 4. good job man.

u should use them in tags :)

3. mParanoia

Thanks man!

I've been looking up articles on how to shoot well in low light situations like these and every article suggests exactly what I was doing.
    So I'm at a loss, does anyone have any suggestions, other than using Flash, since it's a small venue and I don't want to annoy people.

4. jamesx

jamesx Well-Known Member

Way too grainy. Nice use of rule of thirds and space though.

5. mParanoia

Thank you captain obvious. They only had 3 can lights going 90% of the time and I didn't want to use my flash while they're performing.
    Kinda difficult, considering the circumstances. I was hoping someone might know of some good ways to improve on the grainy-ness.

6. khodium

khodium Well-Known Member

Well they are nice photos even with the noise, the nosie even makes the seem a bit gritter which suits the photo of the gas mask guy on his own. The only way to get less noise in camera is with a faster lens or nicer camera and they would both lost a lot!. I dont see whast wrong with using a flash in the posed photos though... and you can always ask the bands if its ok to use flash photography and if they agree you could get those cool long exposure photos with lights all around the band.
    Seeing as the noise is mainly in the background area of these photos I guess you could just blur those sections out. I do really like these photos though, keep em up!

7. jamesx

jamesx Well-Known Member

Use a lower ISO, faster shutter speed, use Topaz or Neat Image in your PP, etc.

8. mParanoia

I need to get a tripod and a working 18-55mm if I'm going to do long exposure, which would be nice.
    Yeah, when I was doing the band after there was better lighting and I forgot to change my settings cause I'm an idiot. Those one's are my fault.

It was impossible for a fast shutter speed cause the lighting conditions were so poor, though I'll try a lower ISO next time.

9. PrivatePyle

PrivatePyle Well-Known Member

Great photos mate, they look fine for web use.

Lower ISO is less sensitive to light, higher ISO is what you need for low light conditions.

What camera are you using? Alot of the modern cameras have fantastic high ISO performance with little grainyness.

Do you use a built in flash or a proper hot shoe one? Using one with directional bounce and/or a diffuser built onto the front can soften the harsh light and spare peoples annoyances abit, if it swivels as far as mine don't point it at your face though :P

Consider a higher speed lens, f1.8 maybe, though there expensive unless there fixed focal length such as my f1.8 50mm.