Go Back   GameRenders Forums > Entertainment > Gaming

Gaming Put those triggerfingers to another use and talk about your favourite games

Old 03-14-2008, 01:26 PM   #1
AG Alx

Credits: 421
Savings: 0

Originally posted by The Guardian - Blog
The Xbox 360 price cut has been confirmed. This Friday (14th March) the standard 360 (20GB hard drive) will be 199.99 (down from 249.99). The Elite (120GB hard drive) will be 249.99 (down from 299.99) while the pointless one without the hard drive - aka Xbox 360 Arcade - will be 159.99 (down from 199.99). Will the cuts help the console - which, let's face it, has the best selection of "next-gen" games currently available - battle the assault from the casual (Wii) and film buff (PS3) markets? It's too early to say but when you consider that you need to spend around 60 for a wireless adapter and 40 per year to play online (on the admittedly excellent Xbox Live service) and compare that to the price of a PS3 (around 300, complete with wi-fi and online play) you can see why the cuts needed to happen.
Link to source here.

So, a 360 price cut, eh? Pretty good for those of us in Britain who don't yet have one, but still want one...Like me. :P

And right now, the 360 is the cheapest console on the market - with the Arcade version beating the Wii by a good 30.

But will this price cut be an incentive for others, such as casual gamers who may not have much interest in games, to buy the console? Or will the blow of the 'finished' HD DVD market be enough to put them off? Are you more likely to buy one now that the price has been lowered by 50?

Discuss. :3
AG Alx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:30 PM   #2
Broken

Credits: 300
Send a message via MSN to Broken

Since there has actually been a lot of talks of 360 recieving some form of Blu-Ray adaption, I think this can only be a good thing. :3

Would have much preferred them to keep the price the same and either lower or remove XBL pricing though...

10 Scene Points to the winner.

The Curio Collective -

http://www.gamerenders.com/forum/ind...owtopic=404496
http://curiocollective.deviantart.com/
</div>
Broken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:30 PM   #3
.:Illuminati:.

Credits: 0
Send a message via AIM to .:Illuminati:. Send a message via MSN to .:Illuminati:.

Do these price cuts apply to the U.S. as well? If they do, I'd definitely get one (but I have no money :P)
.:Illuminati:. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:45 PM   #4
AG Alx

Credits: 421

Since there has actually been a lot of talks of 360 recieving some form of Blu-Ray adaption, I think this can only be a good thing. :3

Would have much preferred them to keep the price the same and either lower or remove XBL pricing though...[/b]
I really hope they develop Blu-Ray adaption too, but this seems to differ... >-<

Annnnd I agree with the XBL pricing part too - lower the monthly fees, or at least enable built-in wireless. But still, new buyers of the console can just imagine that they already have wireless built-in, as they can buy the adapter for around 50, making the console the old RRP. Or, if they have a wired connection, they could get a years subscription for around the same price as the old RRP. :P

Do these price cuts apply to the U.S. as well? If they do, I'd definitely get one (but I have no money :P)[/b]
Nope, sorry Illuminati - Europe only. Looks like you're gonna have to keep (or rather, start xP), saving. :P
AG Alx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:52 PM   #5
.:Illuminati:.

Send a message via AIM to .:Illuminati:. Send a message via MSN to .:Illuminati:.

Well that's discouraging lol. My job better start paying me more :P
.:Illuminati:. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:07 PM   #6
xlink
GR's Tech Enthusiast

Credits: 2,459

it's overdue for the price to be cut. I'm sure at this point yields are up on it's chips and manufacturing costs have overall plummetted.

plus M$ makes cash on game licensing not the console itself.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:18 PM   #7
[ED] Aose

Credits: 657

I love bias reporting...

The price cut is good, while I already have a 360 this will make it a bit easier for people to buy a console...basically the 360, PS3, and Wii are no longer next gen, they are current.

[ED] Aose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:19 PM   #8
Hotsauce2103

I just read it on Tom's Hardware that Microsoft confirmed that it WILL NOT put the Blu-Ray drive in it's xbox consoles.
So yeah, that's dissapointing.

Click on image ^ ^
Hotsauce2103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:05 PM   #9
king_1

i wish they had those price cuts in USA, but anyways it good for all you Europeans out there who are into games
Old 03-16-2008, 12:26 AM   #10
xlink
GR's Tech Enthusiast

I love bias reporting...

The price cut is good, while I already have a 360 this will make it a bit easier for people to buy a console...basically the 360, PS3, and Wii are no longer next gen, they are current.[/b]
there is no such thing as a next-gen console. They're made to be mass produced in the millions and for the most part all mass producible items are either current or last gen by nature as getting the very latest most cutting edge stuff into a product isn't economical. That's why for sony even a partially disabled and downscaled version of cell(the full version has 8 SPUs the PS3's only has 7 and the current revision runs at 6.2GHz whereas the PS3's only runs at 3.2Ghz, so basically the PS3s is cripled) cost big $$$
Old 03-16-2008, 12:39 AM   #11
Xioushi

Credits: 423
Send a message via MSN to Xioushi

Has anyone got the chance to watch any BluRay movies that have really nice effects on a PS3 > HDMI > HD TV? With a good sound system, oh man. I was completely brainwashed by friends who said that there isn't that big of a change between watching DVDs and HD movies. LMAO They are so wrong! There's a HUGE difference. It's so clear and so real. Oh man lol.

<span style="color:#FFFFFF">deviantart tumblr last.fm </span>

</div>
Xioushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:53 PM   #12
Gentile

I doubt even the price cut will make the xbox be able to be more competitive against the ps3 or wii in the long term in europe.
Gentile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:18 PM   #13
xlink
GR's Tech Enthusiast

Has anyone got the chance to watch any BluRay movies that have really nice effects on a PS3 > HDMI > HD TV? With a good sound system, oh man. I was completely brainwashed by friends who said that there isn't that big of a change between watching DVDs and HD movies. LMAO They are so wrong! There's a HUGE difference. It's so clear and so real. Oh man lol.[/b]
not a big difference on an old 640*480 TV... 1080p is over a 600% increase in resolution(aka 1920*1080)

I'm with you on that. I'm a crazed PC guy and I want a desktop resolution of 3360*1050(two 1680*1050 monitors) for increase productivity
Old 03-21-2008, 12:43 PM   #14
Bones-gfx

Credits: 424
Send a message via AIM to Bones-gfx

Just great! Right after I buy mine.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:10 PM   #15
.parfekt//

Credits: 545

360 has tons of glitches I heard, and the fact that blueray on PS3 is awesomeness is really making 360 run for it's money.

Goal Line Blitz - Football Sim - Create your own football player!
</div>
.parfekt// is offline   Reply With Quote