Playstation 4

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Zohair, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Zohair

Zohair Formerly zohBOT

2. Greasy Pete

Greasy Pete Senior Member

wow. really?

3. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

so it might use a PowerVR chip
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerVR

not impressed, it's like a step backwards almost.
    it was a huge advantage in the late 90s. Zbuffering has improved A LOT since then.

as it stands, both nVidia and ATi(especially ATi) are largely untouchable in the graphics arena. Intel's trying to enter into the market and can't even get a product to market that's worthy of competition.

what the PS4 needs.

fast XDR2 and gDDR5 RAM for CPU and GPU storage(1GB each) coupled with a large buffer(say 4GB) of shared DDR3 memory. Using a hierarchal memory system as opposed to the current crazed system would save a lot of BS in terms of effective memory caching and the main reason why consoles currently "suck" is because they don't have enough memory to go the distance. A console should have about as much memory as a comparably priced PC from 2 years before it's launch. Not half as much.

4. Sanity Penguin

Sanity Penguin My sex is on fire

I doubt it would be true. They're not going to release a new one anytime soon. I think there was about 6 years between the Ps2 and Ps3, so the Ps3 still has many more years to go. Full potential is way from reached.
    (they've even just now descovered and used the full potential of the Ps2)

5. Nicasus

Nicasus Well-Known Member

Can be very possible -- Microsoft is also already working on a Windows 8.

Doesn't mean it's going to be released in a few months.

My guess is it will take a few years before they're actually releasing a PS4.

Edit: 2012 they say eh, that's three years from now (assuming they'll release it around the holidays). I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

6. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

so what you're saying is that the PS2 which used a relatively new and uncommon GPU didn't have adequate coding for it until years after it's launch...

FYI, the RS chip in the ps3 is based off of a 2004 design(NV40 is very similar to G70 which RSX is derived from)... it's been out for 6 years already.
    as it stands games are already choking on the ps3, how many games come out at 540p because they can't even push 720p?
    the other chip to utilize is cell... guess what, CPU performance DOESN'T MATTER. Anything which COULD stand additional CPU power woudl also need additional buffer space and that's something the ps3 is lacking. Improvements will come, but they won't be very dramatic.

also the ps3 was launched in late 06 after a few delays due to manufacturing inadequacies (bluray drives cost too much and cell had horrible yields)... it's more of a late 2005/early 2006 console than an 07 console. late '11 or early '12 is about on track for the next generation of consoles which is about 2 years away and when you factor in development time... it's about time they start working on it already.

7. Freakedclwn

Freakedclwn Senior Member

who cares again?
    screw a PS4, at least till i get a finished copy of BC2.

8. Greasy Pete

Greasy Pete Senior Member

fix'd ^_^

9. Nicasus

Nicasus Well-Known Member

Time for an Xbox 720 imo.

10. Zohair

Zohair Formerly zohBOT

lmfao, an Xbox 720 haha

11. HB Virus

HB Virus Member

Rumors about the Xbox is that its not gonna be called the Xbox 720, the rumors state that it'll be like a motion game console. So it puts you right into the live action, for example if you wanted to duck in CoDMW2, you would have to duck infront of the console and it would do etc etc. But thats just all rumors that I hope aren't true because, that would make the Xbox extremely gay.

12. inverse

inverse Banned from GR

At this point it's ALL rumors.

13. Phritz

Phritz Senior Member

There's no point in speculating future consoles -.-

What about people with Guitar Hero songs and the problems of transferring them to new consoles etc. as Adam Sessler said "No one should have to call Microsoft about losing their Falloutboy songs".

Consoles are good enough for now, and this is the time period for the PS3 and XBox 360 to really shine as more features are being added etc. Plus, with the recent price cuts and everybody being broke who's gonna go to the store and dish out $700 for a new console, controllers and games?

Sanerson post made me lol, he says the next XBox isn't going to be called 720, then goes on about motion controlling xD

14. Sock

Sock Well-Known Member

I heard the next nintendo system will be a coked-up, nearly dead hooker that's stuff in a box that you can have your way with.

Feed and water once a week.

15. inverse

inverse Banned from GR

These controls are so sensitive.