How have your hobbies evolved over time?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xlink, Jul 10, 2017.

1. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

Before 2000 my main hobbies were video games and watching TV.
    ~2002 I started learning graphic design, basic coding and web design.
    ~2003 I started to learn about computers in terms of their general configuration and their parts and this stayed a big thing for me through around 2009
    around 2010 I started to learn about higher educational institutions and various "corporate" careers and obsessed over that.
    around 2013 I started digging into CS, statistics, etc.
    for a short period in 2015 I was obsessed with learning about how to do well on standardized exams.
    2016 was spent obsessing about admissions into elite MBA programs.
    2017 so far has been concerned with newer computer parts and CPU microarchitecture design.

2. madmav

madmav Well-Known Member

That's quite the memory..

2003-08 - being an all round prick on forums, learning bits and pieces of photoshop, and all sorts of tech nonsense.
    2008-2012 - performing in amateur musicals/shows, self-taught IT skills alongside college
    2013-15 - got more outdoorsy - hiking addiction, snowboarding and downhill biking (i lived in Canada,,this changes a man!
    2015-2017 - 5 a side soccer, bouldering (indoor-climbing walls), hopefully going to progress to outdoor bouldering at some stage, aand getting back into performing in shows.

3. steeeez

steeeez Member

I played hockey and made forum signatures as a middle schooler, then I was banned and played hockey and video games in early high school; then, I quit video games and hockey and finally got off of my computer all the time, made friends, and began drinking/partying a lot throughout late high school up until my junior year of university. Then I got into studying hard all of a sudden my senior year, and now I'm halfway through law school. I spend most of my time studying, but I'm also into indie music and film, drawing, working out, hunting, and following politics

that's right GR, steez could be your fucking lawyer some day

4. xlink

banned for ban evasion.

I'm kidding.
    Half surprised your ban wouldn't have expired by now.

5. steeeez

steeeez Member

I think the ban is permanent... not surprising- I was an absolute little shit hahaha. How have you been? Still lifting?

Looking back ten years now, I hope this forum stays around indefinitely. Maybe we'll be looking back in another thirty years at how the internet evolves over time. Or maybe small forums which had their heydays back in the 2000s will be totally phased out by larger messaging boards like Reddit (which I use). What I really liked about GR was the small community and the sense of camaraderie we had as an internet forum. As a kid who didn't have many chances to interact with others out of school, the online friendships formed over platforms like GR were definitely helpful, socially, in some respects. I had a really fun time here goofing off.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  6. xlink

Not very consistently. Still in alright shape though. I've had some injuries and other things started to matter more in life.

The camaraderie really was something else. The 00s were a relatively lonely time in my life. People on GR really made my day.

7. madmav

madmav Well-Known Member

the camaradarie is why I keep coming back to this damn place. I loved to hate ye all when I was an antisocial little prick, but I owe all my nifty photoshop tricks to GR.

A great bunch.

Now the website sits in its post-apocalyptic state..

8. xlink

This site definitely pushed me to get better at graphic design.

I learned one valuable lesson - simple can be just as good as complex with MUCH less work/effort. I've applied this lesson over and over professionally.

9. Majin

Majin Senior Member

One of us had to make it.

10. madmav

madmav Well-Known Member

oh hay, happy birthday.

11. Majin

Majin Senior Member

Thank you!
    Hope you're well mav & xlink.

2002-2004 I spent most of my time on c&c red alert 2/renegade.
    2004-2010/1 decided people's "signatures" looked cool and wanted to make my own. Became an immature troll, and did some horrific things looking back.
    2010-2014 decided to go.be a mechanic. Got my papers, made redundant and gave it up
    2014-2017 reformed an old.childhood love for Motorsport - open wheel & GTs. Just to go to loads of races, shows and the likes. Spent a silly.ammount on a sim rig too.

In other news majin is going to be a dad to my first child come the new year. This website is also cancerous on mobile.

12. xlink

Good for the most part... spent the last year or so being obsessed about getting into top MBA programs and... getting rejected.

Imagine going into an interview with someone from Yale to immediately knock over a glass of water.

Yeah...

Congrats on fatherhood... for better or worse your life is over and your family's is beginning - hopefully for the better.

13. steeeez

steeeez Member

Hahaha thanks mate. Never anticipated I'd ever go down this path. Just thought I'd take advantage of my Jewish background at a pivotal moment in my life

Congrats man, that's huge. Best of luck

14. .ZERO

.ZERO Nigga wit a PSD

Way to escape from B-town!