My Professional Opinion

Discussion in 'Signatures' started by Clash, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Clash

Clash The Go-To Guy

I do like them both, although composition wise, I'd like to see a combo of the 2. I'd place the artwork in the second one on the left side where you have it on the first one and leave the border behind the cutout. Also, very nice placement of type on #2. If you can send me both PSDs I'll show you what I mean.

You have yin and yang here... so 5/10 on both.

2. cristiano

cristiano Senior Member

:blush: thank you.

3. Raz-K

Raz-K Member

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  4. Clash

Clash The Go-To Guy

[​IMG] Here's my spin.

5. Airic Rush

Airic Rush The Landmine Lieutenant

How about my two sigs? I haven't been around for a while so they aren't great but i always like to see what people think

6. Clash

Clash The Go-To Guy

Both look unfinished. No type. Coloring is a little wonky. Keep at it.

2/10

7. tk_nh1

tk_nh1 Well-Known Member

My second one please ;o

8. Clash

Clash The Go-To Guy

Looks nice. I like the concept here. Type could use a little tweak to stand out more; the font is a little too light to work with this design, go with something heavier (bolder)

6/10

9. Airic Rush

So you're telling me that dragon ball Z sig at the top of this page that has two layers of brushing and a render set to luminosity is a 5/10 and that Captain America sig is a 2/10? I respect your opinion but be serious...

10. Clash

Clash The Go-To Guy

It's not about the tools used to make it, it's about concept and execution. What matters is the final outcome. I'm sure you put work into your pieces, but the captain America signature is over filtered, the composition isn't very exciting, and you're missing type.

11. Gin

Gin Well-Known Member

i'm not really a newbie on this matter, i had my 'golden years' some time ago, then i stopped using PS. Now i had the urge to start developing again, and even though i lost some of my skills, i'll make my g'lol'rious comeback right here in this post. Here it is, my first sig in the last 2 years:

[​IMG]

be brutal, be direct, be honest \m/

12. Clash

Clash The Go-To Guy

No brutality needed here...good work. As I've stated before, not a fan of centered graphics in composition. Good font choice and placement on the type, just wish it was bigger.

As for color, or lack of... I'm a big fan (personally) of b/w imagery. The contrast here looks great, very well executed.

Only thing i'd change are the highlights. I'd dim them down a little bit and bring some of the image back on the cut-out. I'm all for blending, but it's not necessary here.

9.5/10

13. Gin

Gin Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for the C&C. I'll certainly use your tips on my next pieces.

14. Airic Rush

Type is completely irrelevant, it's a tag, text isn't neccesary, you can't possibly "lose points" for something that's optional. By that line of thinking just throwing ugly text onto a tag automatically makes it better which doesn't make any sense.

Again, I respect your opinion, but I don't think you're judging everything on the same scale, you're just looking at each post and rating them based on how you feel at that point. But anyway, I've taken into account what you said and edited the tag a little, I took the over filtered comment as meaning everything was a little to sharp and contrasted so I tried to soften everything a bit but I still haven't added any text because I can't find anywhere I like, with that being said, improvement or neh?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  15. Clash

Clash The Go-To Guy

Design is about more than aesthetics. You should have a clear goal in mind before you open photoshop, and the design's purpose should be clear in the final product. This tag's purpose is to serve as a signature. It has no name or logo or any mark on it indicating that it is pointing to you. The second possibility would be that it's purpose was to reflect the image/style of Captain America... The space-like background, nor the Captain America cut-out reflect the comic at all. Both elements look out of place.

As for the cut-out, the arm on the right side is faded, parts of the image are blurred, and the highlights are blown out. That's what I meant by over filtered. The composition is boring...centered images are a big no-no in design. And the one thing that would make this close to a signature (the A on Captain Americas head) is blurred and faded. That should be the focal point of the piece.