Your system's specs

Discussion in 'Tech' started by xlink, Apr 9, 2016.

1. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

What's your computer's specifications?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  2. madmav

madmav Well-Known Member

Cool, can't wait to sound insignificant in comparison however -

Desktop
    i5 2500k // 2x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz // HD 6870 // Hyper 212 Plus // 240gb SSD / 2 x TB HDD // 1x Dell U2412M

My first ever build back in 2011. In dire need of an upgrade once I get some sort of income established!

Laptop
    Lenovo y50 - i7 // 8gb / GTX 860m / etc etc

3. fall3nx88

fall3nx88 Well-Known Member

What games u be running?

4. xlink

for the desktop the only thing that you'd really need to do is up the RAM and swap the card, CPU (assuming you OC) is still VERY useable, it's not like 2005 where there were significant improvements every 5 years...

5. madmav

madmav Well-Known Member

Yea, I'm looking to get a new card in the next month or so, maybe one of the older cards, was torn between a 380x or GTX 960, I don't think I could justify the leap to the better cards as tempting as 1070 / 1080's are looking., although if 970's start to get cheaper, it may be worth looking into!

I'd say the only thing that's in any way intensive on my wishlist at the moment is Witcher 3! I powered through the Witcher 1 and 2 in style with my 6870, but I feel an upgrade would make numero 3 a more pleasant experience!!

CPU is a dream in fairness, whoever advised me to pick the 2500k back then was dead right with their suggestion.

6. xlink

I mean modern CPUs ARE faster now but... it's not night/day and if the goal is gaming then it's usually the graphics card which matters.

Know what your budget is for a card... the 970 is around 50% faster and a little more future proof(more RAM, higher memory bandwidth).

I think I got mine for like $230 USD on sale around 6 months ago, pretty good deal.

I'll admit I haven't looked at AMD's offerings as much lately but if there's a sale or some bargain they're still reasonably competitive.

Full disclosure, my "I NEED MAX PERFORMANCE" mania has died down in the last 10 years and my income went up by a factor of 10... my world views are a bit different and my obsessions are as well.

7. madmav

madmav Well-Known Member

I've just got the Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ 4GB and I love it and ordering an NZXT S340 tomorrow as a slight upgrade to my shitty plain case
    [​IMG]

^ so ugly.

xlink - what would you replace a 2500k with ? My Asrock P67 Pro3 is acting a bit fucky lately, it won't let me put the overlock multiplier past 37 (which isn't right considering it's an unlocked processor capable of waaay more), and doesn't really support some new faster Hyper X Fury RAM that I bought (well, it works, but it won'r run at the full speed.)

Should I save for Sky Lake / Kaby Lake and move to DD4, or Maybe just a 4760, and keep my DDR3..

Decisions decisions decisions..

8. xlink

This depends.

While a 3.7Ghz 2500+ is mostly fine on its own... faster is better. Most games will still be alright though. If forced to where it is, I don't know whether or not to hold out for the next upgrade or not, the current 6000 series is likely fine, it's something like 20-30% faster per Ghz than the 2500.

What's the issue, is the option not selectable in bios/EUFI? Is stability suffering? Did it happen after your recent upgrade?

I'd consider doing some testing first. Can you make it through 1 hour under various settings on OCCT?

http://www.ocbase.com/

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  9. madmav

madmav Well-Known Member

Turns out it was a bad bios update I'd done a few months ago, I found a "beta" version from ASRock last week and installed that and suddenly everything is working again.

Recognising RAM correctly and allowing me to OC my 2500k as normal :)

So, all good for a while more...and I pulled the trigger on my NXZT S340, did a quick transplant into new case last night...very happy :)

10. madmav

madmav Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

my pride and joy!