internet speed problem

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by ZeRo-, Jun 5, 2007.

1. ZeRo-

ZeRo- Well-Known Member

my internet speed is 1536/512

when i download something the speed starts at 170 kb/s and then it just drops by 10 kb/s until it reaches 18 kb/s then it goes only 18 kb/s so what it the problem with this

2. Shock

Shock Well-Known Member

Do you mean HTTP downloads, torrents, or p2p?

It's very possible that the problem resides in the server you are downloading from, or, in the case of p2p, the people you are downloading from.

3. arbiter2005

arbiter2005 Well-Known Member

The reason your getting 170kbs is burst speed, Always happens, I burst to like 1000kbs sometimes on 8meg, But i would have to say try and download from an empty mirror, Good way to test actaul download speed is to wait till a gamershell mirror is empty and start a download, Only time ive ever maxxed my 8meg

4. iinsom

iinsom Senior Member

I assume you're on adsl?

Is there filters installed on every phone in the house? (And leaving the modem unfiltered) This includes and external ringing devices, bells etc

I know when i was on 1500/256 that i was only getting 90-100kb/s for ages, cause there was an external bell that didnt actually ring, but still connected to the circuit, and once it was disconnected i went up to full speeds again

Also, goto your isp mirror site (if they have one, dont know who you're with) and download a bigish file (id say 50mb+) too see what average speed you're getting

From my isp, on an 8000 connection, i get roughly 600kb/s (cause im far away from the exchange :()

Hope this helps a little

EDIT: As arbiter posted, that 170kb is just a burst speed, on that connection, the max you should be getting is 150ish, but i was sitting around 140kb/s most of the time (i was on 1500/256 for a while before i got my new connection)

5. ZeRo-

ZeRo- Well-Known Member

how do i make it go faster and yes i have adsl

6. iinsom

iinsom Senior Member

Do you have filters on every other phone in the house? And a central filter or a single straight line from the street for your modem?

I know if there is 1 unfiltered phone, it can muck up your speeds dramatically

Also, how far away from your exchange are you?

7. ZeRo-

ZeRo- Well-Known Member

im around 20 km away from the exchange and i have a filter on my phone

last month i never had this problem suddenly when my traffic display cleared up went to 0 MB it started going really slow now i dont know what to do