Selling .Psd Files

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bratzer, Aug 15, 2005.

1. tariq

tariq Well-Known Member

I dont think its fair to deny designers to sell their work, they take the risk themselves, if people dont want ripped then they wont sell psds

2. JustMario

JustMario Well-Known Member

I have sold two PSD files before, and on both occassions, they havent been ripped to the best of my knowledge.

There are plenty of ways to prevent the sale or ripping of PSD files. We could go on forever talking about ways to do it. Although if we stopped the sale of PSD files in the Marketplace, then people would simply sell them through PM's.

I believe that in order to get the best results for this problem, we should set a standard list of rules for the sale of PSD files. But if the people selling the files would like to change the rules for their particular sale, then they should have the freedom to do it.

But thats just my stand on things.

3. Shumei

Shumei Active Member

I'd like to use a PSD to learn from, but if I'm taking stuff from it....

Well then, the sig just wouldn't be mine anymore, and I just wouldn't feel the same about it.

4. bloodandiron

bloodandiron Well-Known Member

I totally agree. People shouldn't be allowed to sell for full rights. Then again, if people rip and the owner doesn't mind, there is nothing you can do about it. Psds for learning purposes should be allowed, because ppl need to learn lol. As for the part in the sotw, any respectable designer would not sell them for full rights, and those who do usually don't have good enough sigs to win sotw's. There are exceptions of course but it's gonna be very very rare.

5. flipn0tic

flipn0tic Well-Known Member

Selling your own PSDs is perfectly fine, so long as you are fully aware that there's an 80% chance they'll rip it.

It's the people that sell OTHERS' PSDs that doesn't sit well with me.

6. vegeta119

vegeta119 Well-Known Member

I think they should.....i dont see why not, it could help noObs figure out how people did things in there peices.

7. .scurenzio

.scurenzio Well-Known Member

Dude, its called buisness.

EA games hires people to work for them, pays them and gets FULL RIGHTS to the artists work.All the artist gets is money and a name in the credits.Thats how it works at least I think . :blink:

So whoever sells full rights can only make more money to people who dont sell full rights.Thats just what I think and my opinion.

8. Gurly

Gurly Well-Known Member

i dunno personally i mean if ur ripped cos someone took ur sig cos they have the psd file
    how are you going to prove who the ripper is i mean ur both have the psd so how would u prove that its ur actual work jus my 2 cents

9. iced up

iced up Well-Known Member

Most of the time the person who rips anothers work is pretty ---- at gfx or w/e he's ripping.. So you ask to see their other work, person with the ----tier sig is the ripper :eek: Wouldnt work every time, but if someone claimed that they made a sig that was identical to say.. pegasus', and then if you asked them to make one it was like... mine. You'd know they're a ripper :P

10. Andrew

Andrew Well-Known Member

I'm alittle confused...you guys are saying its ripping when someone buys the PSD & claims it as their own or what..?

Outlawing artist to sell their very own work? Sounds bad. If *I* created a PSD, and sold it to someone else, that was my decision. If the signature gets ripped, then its my own fault, i should not have shared the PSD. You gamble with the risk of selling the PSD, and hope the person is honest enough to not claim it as their very own work.

Their are many things though, that an artist can do when selling their PSDs to be careful of ripping.

1) Register at all major graphical sites, this way someone can't use your name there.

2) Have some friends ;) Just having people out there who know you, and your work is enough to help. We all go to many sites, and that help creates a "lookout" of sorts.

3) Look at the person buying your PSDs, and how much. 50 credits for a PSD..? Any noob can afford that, pretty much. Try not to sell your PSDs to people with lower then 100 post, or to people with alot of -reps.

Its all about being smart and playing the odds. As HTID said, its business. Learn to play smart, or don't play at all.

Original GR Businessman- BFTP :P

11. F-a-duck

F-a-duck Well-Known Member

I have seen some of your stuff ripped before bratzer. Then, there wasnt the report a ripper thing and I didnt even think twice about it.

12. LeathalDeath

LeathalDeath Well-Known Member

Seriously, In my opinion, I make GFX for fun. Nothing more. Its a hobby. If you want to be a lamer and take my work and say its yours, go for it. Not like you have the skills to make it if you have to take mine. Just my 2 cents. :P

13. Gurly

Gurly Well-Known Member

problem is theres a fine line really on this one cos if ur selling for money then ur sellin renders for money to and that primeraly isnt ur work so therefore wouldnt it be illegal ???

14. D3v!L

D3v!L Well-Known Member

I'd say yes with strict rules. It's the sig-makers idea to sell the psd. The maker should make sure to tell buyers not to claim it as their own or rip it.

15. LeathalDeath

LeathalDeath Well-Known Member

But most render's are given full access and permissions to use.