Monitors

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Undefin3d, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Undefin3d

Undefin3d Well-Known Member

Okay, I've had four LG monitors over the years. The first two were flawless and perfect. The last two that I had were LED models that both had problems with their gamma and RGB output. I would much like to keep my faith in LG (and also in this new LED technology that is currently making LCDs obsolete), but I am willing to put faith in other brands.

I also have been trying to use HDMI, but the colors seem even more off than with DVI or VGA. I have used three different HDMI cables, but they all yield the same result.

What next-gen monitors do you guys recommend? I read reviews, but keep having bad experiences with them and HDMI connections.

2. inverse

inverse Banned from GR

Needed: Price range, size/resolution, inputs, etc.

If anything goes, I'd just say go buy four 24" Apple Cinema Displays. Top of the line S-IPS panels, LED backlit, best looking, but I'd imagine the input selection wouldn't suit, and the price would be a barrier.

3. Undefin3d

IPS panels are a dream for me still as a college student, unless I can get state funding or something to provide me free money. I mean there are a lot of good displays out there that produce exceptional color and I'd prefer just a TNT panel since they are cheap and viewing angles have improved since they were first introduced. It's just the bit depth that is a concern, but all the work that I've printed out was exceptional so long as the printer is calibrated correctly for the paper used.

My budget is less than $300.

4. inverse

inverse Banned from GR

If you already have two perfectly good monitors and two not so good ones, but you're on a tight budget, why bother investing in more screens anyway?

You'd be better off saving your money and buying a high end monitor sometime in the future.

Or perhaps this is just a purely speculative thread, and you have no real interest in buying a screen but you want to inform us of both your affluence and expertise, in which case I don't really care what you do.

That said, Dell does have a nice range of mid-range IPS monitors. I've been using a 2408WFP for the last few years, which is S-PVA, and very, very nice.

5. Undefin3d

My expertise is minimal and I don't have four monitors. Over the past.... 8 years?... I've only used 2 monitors - 15" LCD (when they first were $300) and 22" (before 1080p) - and the other 2 I returned instantly due to unexceptional performance. I am still looking for something to replace the 22" since the resolution is sub-par to anything else today and the backlight is beginning to bleed at the bottom.

I envy you and your monitor. I'd go through the couch cushions to try for $600. But seriously, I am looking for a replacement.

I'm looking at this Samsung PX2370: http://www.jr.com/samsung/pe/SAM_PX2370/

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  6. Error Number 419

Error Number 419 Well-Known Member

go with a new Asus 1080p monitor, ive used a few and loved them, that and their reviews are spectacular

7. Undefin3d

I've actually been looking at them. $400 for a pair is a sweet deal. I just need to check the backlighting since I noticed my current LCD isn't showing black too well in the top right part of the screen.

8. Undefin3d

Monitors again...

The LG IPS236V caught my eye while wandering through a Best Buy. I'm looking up reviews wherever one is posted. Anyone have thoughts on it or suggestions for anything under $300?

9. c4binfever

c4binfever Member

I've got a samsung 32" im using. A friend of mine working in IT retail swears by samsung's imagery. LG is also a good choice.
    I've had bad experiences with sony screens in the past, imo they use too much mercury. Makes the TV cheaper but blacks end up lacking.

10. 3dtech

3dtech Guest

I'd just say go buy four 24" Apple Cinema Displays. Top of the line S-IPS panels, LED backlit, best looking, but I'd imagine the input selection wouldn't suit, and the price would be a barrier.