Need Help With A Tablet

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Chakka, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Chakka

Chakka Well-Known Member

Hey,

well I just bought a Wacom Bamboo tablet, and too be honest it isn't what I was expecting. I think the fault lies mainly on my own presumptions and lack of information I could find, but I was wondering if any of it could be fixed. I'm having a few major issues. The first is that I bought the tablet for two reasons: to help in photoshop, and to allow me to draw diagrams directly into MS Word. However, I hadn't realised that unlike other Wacom tablets the Bamboo didn't show programs on the actual tablet screen, so my first question is, with small Graphire4 models, is the PS screen able to be shown on the tablet or not?
    Second problem is that I'm running Office '03, and I'm not sure if this will prevent me from using the Bamboo within Word, or if there are any programs out there that can be used to help me integrate the two?
    Finally, I'm constantly annoyed when using the tablet that it's so hard to control the mouse, as the tablet seems to register the pen upto 1cm above the actual screen surface, meaning when you lift our hand the mouse goes flying. Is there a way to tone down the sensitivity? Do all Wacom tablets perform like this or is the Graphire4 (I may take the Bamboo back and spend a bit more on the Graphire) any different?

Just thought someone might be able to help...

2. Cinema 4D

Cinema 4D Well-Known Member

I dont even think you can use it with word.

And mostly all the tablets dont let you view the program on the screen. You need to pay good money for that. As in a tablet PC, acer is good imo or the great but very expensive wacom cintiq (2000-2500 USD)

Graphire and Bamboo have the same sensitivity 512, is you want more control, you need a intous, but dont get the smallest size, 4x6, you'll see that is a bad choice over time. The 6x8 is good choice.

3. Chakka

Chakka Well-Known Member

Thanks, I've found some software that may help me get around the Word issue, Wacom suggested it lol so it should be ok. As for the "in-screen" display I guess I was just mislead or something on that, which is a shame but can't really be helped now. I can't afford an Intuos, and if Graphrie and Bamboo are so similar it seems almost pointless changing. Iunno, any more suggestions?

4. elias

elias Well-Known Member

On a recent trip to Paris I picked up a Bamboo 'cause they are not importing them to the US ATM.
    I never even knew there were tablets that could show a PC screen on them, so I wasn't disappointed.
    Mine is working fine, tho you kind of have to relearn how to draw. I also have Vista so it works with
    my software fine, although I don't use Word.

Here my first hand drawn/PS Bamboo attempt.. hehehe

[​IMG]

I know, not much of a start, but a start never-the-less and it was a lot of fun creating.
    Stick with it and good luck!

5. Chakka

Chakka Well-Known Member

Oh wow! Thanks for that, nice drawing. Well now at least I can see it IS possible to use it well as a tablet :) Any tips on non-jagged lines, or just practice?

6. .HaVoC.

.HaVoC. ┌∩┐(-_-)┌∩┐

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">put your cursor on words in <acronym title='like this lol'>Italic</acronym>

the ONLY Wacom Tablet that has a screen is the <acronym title='which costs about $2500'>Cintiq</acronym>.........i have an <acronym title='probably the best choice for the money honestly'>Intuos 3 6x8</acronym> and i don't have any problems with the cursor sensitivity
    about your word issue, are you trying to DRAW in Word or are you just trying to control the cursor? in Office 2007 there is a program called "One Note" that allows you to type and/or draw directly in the program without having to change any settings or anyting

i have <acronym title='i got it "cheap"'>Office Enterprise 2007</acronym> btw.......pm me lol

http://www.wacom.com/productinfo/</span>

7. .HaVoC.

.HaVoC. ┌∩┐(-_-)┌∩┐

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">this is a Wacom Cintiq in all it's expensive glory lol</span>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oE2APo_EORQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oE2APo_EORQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

8. Chakka

Chakka Well-Known Member

I'm wanting to draw in word as well, though I think the Bamboo is the most functional for this so will keep it and just see :) Thanks for all the help.

9. .HaVoC.

.HaVoC. ┌∩┐(-_-)┌∩┐

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">but the Bamboo isn't really made for doing graphics like the other ones are..........personally i would get a Graphire simply because you have more options

Comparison Chart</span>

10. Chakka

Chakka Well-Known Member

That is a comparison chart for the Intuos and the Bamboo, and I can't find one for the Graphire and Bamboo :-/ Still, a lot of reviews and spec sheets I've read suggest the tablet hardware is very similar to that of the smaller Graphires, so I don't really see why to change.