What Happened to Game Renders?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Graffiti, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Andrew

Andrew Well-Known Member

ClanTemplates has been down for awhile, which use to be a big rival of GR. PlanetRenders has switched ownership and is also in decline, though not quite as heavily as GR.

I would only be able to speculate as to what the GR staff could have done differently, but the reality is that all forums have been in decline for awhile now. I can't think of a single website I frequent that has a forum now a days.

2. Ravenwings

Ravenwings Well-Known Member

I blame Facebook. And Twitter. And Tumblr.

3. n00bZor

n00bZor Member

If I may give me 2 cents worth...

I think it has to do with how internet has evolved, the culture, and how social media has changed it's focus. Today the average person has less patience to sit and spend hours reading, creating, learning new things.

For example the IPAD, IPHONE and other platforms, that have simplified the access to various media.

Regarding graphics, the times have changed. Simple as that.
    1. Signatures are no longer as popular - Infact many forums limit users abilities to use them. As it may disrupt the reading.. etc.

2. The gaming culture has changed alot too. You don't see many clansites around anymore, as browser-games are taking over. Guilds, clans, identities are now PART of the actual gamesite. Example to that could be, BF3 - Where you sign up in platoons, having your platoon page with a simple logo. (oh yea, you can't use a CUSTOM logo).
    Steam, Origin.. etc

3. The access to graphic material / resources has become increasingly more open. There are TONS of psd, vector, photoshop, tutorials, brushes, templates out there! Gaming renders... not as much, but again- The demand for gaming renders, signatures hasen't exactly gone up.

So it's a combination of media changing, games changing, the culture changing, and what is hip and what is not.

If GR is too survive, it must re-invent itself. Find a new focus, that brings new people in. But still a place where experience from the "elders or veterans", can be shared and taught. I hope it goes on.. I always liked GR, eventhough I haven't been much active.

If there was anything I could do to help this place, i would...
    But I am no pro at graphics like you all, I can't do much really.. I always came here to watch, get inspired, and follow up on the latest tech and tricks while learning a few things aswell.

-n00bzor

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  4. hazler

hazler Junior Member

I remember coming here years ago. I used to love reading all the tutorials and what not. I learnt alot from people here. Such a shame that this place has died like this.

This board. chaosgfx.com and sdvsraw2.com were the three main boards I used to love going to. sdvsraw2.com was the only one I posted at though. Chaos is long gone. SDvsRAW2.com changed to you-posted.com and died, it has a member base like this now, dropped from 1000 active users.

As said, above. Things have evolved, people use facebook to talk to the friends they made online and all of the older graphics artists are either doing it professionally or not at all. Which is sad.