My New Computer Specs

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by bleach, Mar 10, 2006.

1. bleach

bleach Well-Known Member

Well it's time to trade in my junkie dell system and get something with some SHIZAAA. This time im not buying from a dealer like dell, allienware, ect. Im building my own. Im ordering it tomorow.

Heres what I have so far.

Asus A8N-SLI Premium skt 939 Motherboard
    Maxtor 250GB SATA Hard Drive 7200rpm 16MB Cache
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Skt 939
    Thermaltake Soprano 20" Tower Black with Side Window (No PSU)
    Enermax ELT500AWT Liberty 500W 20/24 pin ATX PSU
    Corsair TWINX Dual Channel 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory
    eVGA GeForce 7800 GT CO SE / 256MB GDDR3

This is my first time building a computer. And I have put alot of time into searching for a good build. I consider this to be a high end system (not a dream system tho :()

Anyway, I just wanted to see if anyone had anything to say about it? Anything that I should know about, any suggestions? I know xelink is pretty smart when it comes to computers.
    Btw, this cost me 1800 canadian. Dont bother telling me to up my cpu to a 4400 or something cause my limit was supposed to be 1600$ :P

2. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

3. bleach

bleach Well-Known Member

What I like about the GFX card I have picked out right now is that its on sale for $357.99 while the one you listed is $458.99 (prices are in cdn remember). So I think im gettin a pretty sweet deal on that.

As for the opteron.. I have NEVER heard anything about them. Im clueless on the matter. So I will probably stick with what I know. Also, I want to try and stay away from OCing. It kills your equipment faster :/

4. fuRiouS_

fuRiouS_ Well-Known Member

Now thats where your wrong, Overclocking utilizes the most out of your processor. AMD's run better while overclocked. Overclocking does not in any way influence the life of your processor.

5. Generation

Generation Well-Known Member

you should have totally went for the 7900GT, what were you thinking, you should have got the xfx extreme edition which speed is 550 mhz and has 24 pixel pipelines only for $300 usd. you are getting a 7800GTX except a little faster for a bargain price there. or get the evga extreme overclocked version which is about 590 mhz or so.
    i suggest you take that card back and exchange it with the 7900GT quick, plus it has the new HD gaming output so you can play in HD quality.

remember when exchanging get the right version, get the overclocked version maybe try to get the extreme version.

http://www.us.ncix.com/products/index.php?...=1&membership=0

or

http://www.us.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=17942

they are both core clock is 550 but stil stinking fast and powerful for only $340 you MUST get it. you are making that one bad mistake

EDIT: go here http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/326/
    it tells you everything you need to know why the 7900 version are better and why you need to get it, this review has test results from games and benchmarks. definately check it out.

6. bleach

bleach Well-Known Member

You didnt fully read my post :P Or my second post :P

I didnt buy anything yet. Also, the 7900 will cost me another 100$ if i go with that instead of the 7800 :/

7. Generation

Generation Well-Known Member

i would still go for it m8, or just get the non overclocked version, they are a tad cheaper and you can oc it yourself.
    but seriously, i still go with 7900gt, worth 100bucks.

8. G.S.Design

G.S.Design Senior Member

i wish i had 1000 USD to spend =P time to save up on summer jobs :)

9. DefaultVoid

DefaultVoid Well-Known Member

The video card is one hellsa good one... :blink: Anyways, good job with the building... :)

10. xlink

opterons are made by AMD for servers. Ever here of the athlon FX? it's essentially an opteron with a diferent name. The main advantage of the opterons over the regular Athlons is that they go through stricter quality testing... for typical use, an moderately OCed opteron would probably last a bit longer than a stock Athlon. as for killing equipment faster... again only if you are an idiot about it. Besides, even if you are an idiot about it, by the time it would die it would be obsolete anyway. FYI, All computer chips are more or less identical, the slightly better ones are just "factory overclocked" and are over priced horifically for each bit of clock speed added. You're just taking back what the Chip company is ripping you off of. Besides, they can't prove you OCed or not so you can still get a new one waranty.

11. bleach

bleach Well-Known Member

Thanks, and yeah, I was looking at the 7900 gt, i think im going to go with it :P That bad boy is crazy. Oh well, I guess I will have to dip into my university funds :P I dont need to eat while im at uni anyway >.>

12. xlink

just dip off the proc a little and OC to make the diference. I swear. By the time an opteron would die form a 200mhz OC, most people would be using 4 and 8 core procs anyway. Stock cooler, stock fan, just monitor your temps and whatnot. Also consider that it does have more cache than the 4200 even though it has slightly lower clock speed so gaming performance and afew other intensive applications will be of more or less the same result.

again I practice what I preach, if the core duo isn't any good for the money or AMD hasn't slashed prices majorly, I will most likely be purchasing an opteron 170 this june.

13. .DeFuZioN

.DeFuZioN Well-Known Member

YES IT DOES. IT DECREASES ITS LIFE. As long as you increase the volts it will decrease the life as the hotter it runs the less life. All cpus run better overclocked, but dont pressure him into doing it because it is a risky business.
    Drop the motherboard down to the non-sli version as I doubt you will ever go sli.

14. Pope

Pope Well-Known Member

Don't want to sound mean or whatever, but that sounds like its coming from a computer noob. Overclocking should only be done by people that know a lot about the process and the risks you run should you make a mistake.