Question On Internet Speeds Vs Site/server Speeds

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Unkie, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Unkie

Unkie Senior Member

Okay, this isn't' a ----- tool and probably isn't giving me 100% accurate information but..I was hoping someone had the knowledge to help me out on this one:

Ping Results (view)
    upper page:
    [​IMG]
    Lower page:
    [​IMG]

My question is, Are these accurate speeds considering my download speed is in the MB's and my uploads are in the kb's .. shouldnt my upload speeds be higher considering?

System/Modem Info:
    Im using the modem our ISP supplied us with : Modem ~ PCI Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP
    So its a fax/phone/cable modem all in one.
    We have the highest cable plan, just before the T1 package(bukoo buck$$$ a month)..so our speeds should be awesome all the time.,theoretically. Im connected thru a network adapter card on our desktop model, which in fact helps boost download/connectivity speeds(or so I was told).

Now, on a side note. I understand that some servers are better than others, take for instance, rapidshare vs megaupload.. I get download rates of 700+ kbs on Megaupload... On Rapidshare its only 200-350 kbs download rates...is it my modem causing the rates issue or like i assumed, that some servers are better/faster than others?

And btw.. Im not attempting to sound like a novice or complete idiot, it just comes across that way sometimes :unsure:

Thanks for any help though!
    -UnkIe

2. r3m1x

r3m1x Well-Known Member

They should be fairly accurate, but that depends on where you live (Rural/Big City) and your internet provider and your plan, and since you have a great plan the download speed should be good too. The upload speed might seem a little low, but that could be for several reason, one being your computer. I would say that you should just try uploading files to get an accurate speed.

BTW, rapidshare usually gives low download speeds to free users. At premium, you get like 2 Mbps.

3. Unkie

Unkie Senior Member

I see. Yeah I have a premium account with megaupload now and have those blazing 1.2 - 1.5 mb download speeds.
    Im still convinced that its the server(s) and not my service provider. Or rather, Im keeping the faith :P

4. scarletham

scarletham Well-Known Member

Yes, sometimes it will depend on the server you're downloading from. With the package you're saying you have, you should be downloading a bit faster. However, consider the situation - Peak hours for the internet? Also, what sites are you downloading from?

Try downloading something from a big site, like Apple or something that's guaranteed to have quality servers, and try doing it during a quiet time of day.