High End Gaming Build

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by xX ParaDox, Jul 29, 2007.

1. xX ParaDox

xX ParaDox Well-Known Member

Basically this is my last revision of my gaming build because i really dont want to bother with DDR3 seeing how expensive it is etc, my budget is 2,500$ for the PC Alone, i'd like to keep it below 2400 if possible seeing how it is now. Anything i would need to change? Note: The case i picked out, isnt out yet to buy so im doing a rough price of what it would cost from a magazine that featured that case.
    EDIT: Just wondering on the Q6600 to double check i only can overclock it to 3 GHz becuase of a locked thing i read some where.

[​IMG]

2. XxROADKILLxX

XxROADKILLxX Well-Known Member

Wow thats alot of money

3. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

you should be able to get past 3Ghz if you really wanted. the locked thign would be the CPu multiplier.

mult*FSB = clock speed.

quads don't get as high of FSB since they're really demanding on the motherboards.

few things to note
    what's included with that kit? seems dang pricey and usually kits are mediocre since the best WC parts are made by A LOT of diferent companies.
    if I went the kit route I'd likely get this(as it's decent for the cost and has some decent parts)
    http://www.petrastechshop.com/pecogpuba.html

also, don't get the raptor X. same part as the standard WD1500 but with TLER removed(and additional costs added)
    personally though, I'd toss two Seagate 7200.10s into RAID 0. they'll outperform a raptor in around 95%+ scenarios and at a potentially cheaper cost while providing more storage.

4. xX ParaDox

Since you said go with a custom watercooling kit, heres what i got.

CPU Water Block: D-TEK FuZion Universal CPU Waterblock - 1/2" $64.99 $64.99
    Pump: Laing D5 Vario/Swiftech MCP655 Inline 12V DC Pump $87.99 $87.99
    Radiator: Thermochill PA120.3 Radiator $134.99 $134.99
    Reservoirs: Danger Den Single 5 1/4" Bay Reservoir $29.95 $29.95
    Fans: (4x) 120mm Yate Loon D12SH-12 Case Fan - Black (88 CFM, 40 dBA) $19.96 $19.96
    Grand Total: $337.88

And yeah i might go with two 7200.10s in a raid 0, but ive never done a raid setup before and is it easy to do, since this is my first computer build, but ive done watercooling to mine now.

5. xlink

RAID atleast with onboard consists of plugging the two+ drives into the baord(in slots 1 and 2 preferably) going into BIOS and enabling RAID, and installing windows as one normally would, but near the beginning of the install insert one of the provided floppies with RAID drivers and press(I want to say F6) to install the drivers.

I'll be blunt I've never done RAID myself but I'm looking forward to the day where I finally break down and shell out the cash for it.

also on radiators if you're not looking to shell out the big $$$ but still want dang good performance, swiftech MCR120s 220s and 320s are very good bang/$. if you want the best usually people go for the PA 120s 120.2 and PA120.3.

blocks - apogee GT and Dtek fuzion. Fuzion has the advantage of being low a lower restriction block.
    pumps- D5 is a good solid unit and used to be the preferred pump. Still dang good and I'll likely be buying one myself. Another alternative is a DDC with a modified top, the downside is that they have a somewhat higher failure rate and people apparently don't like the newer revisions as much.

if nyou're going completely custom, ensure that you have the proper fittings and don't forget to buy tubing(that's a big one isn't it?)'

few more things to note
    don't OC the RAM, it adds too much restriction to the loop and RAM doesn't run that hot anyway(atleast not DDR2 RAM)
    another kit to consider
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820313005
    8layer PCB and micron D9 ICs. cheaper if you're looking to cut costs. In the OCing forums they're fairly popular. I won a kit of DDR2-533 D9s from them and it's fairly good stuff. also it comes with the heatspreaders OFF.(naked ICs>covered) heatspreaders usually drive temps up more than they lower them.

I'm admittedly not a --- on WC I'm just repeating what I've heard.

6. xX ParaDox

Also forgot to say lol that my dad can get tygon 1/2 in tubing free from work, and im not gonna wc the ram because its not worth it. Also all the parts that i picked from that site had a choice of barbs that came with it so i wouldnt need to buy any. lol im not really into picking out the cheapo stuff when i have the money to spend

7. xlink

most of the cheepo stuff I recommend is higher end than that you find in a $5000 system from an OEM like Dell and is usually comparable.

again though it's your money and it's about obtaining the maximum amount of gratification for the money spent. You seem about right on with your choices nothing too major in terms of any additional changes I'd bother with unless you're worried about the 2500 limit as you are getting somewhat close.

8. johndapunk FTW

johndapunk FTW Senior Member

9. xlink

raid is handled by the southbridge FYI...

10. johndapunk FTW

johndapunk FTW Senior Member

I knew that. My mistake, the board in general isn't as good with raids, specifically, the southbridge.