GIMP or PS?

Discussion in 'Graphics discussion' started by SM Infinity, Sep 27, 2010.

1. SM Infinity

SM Infinity Senior Member

ok so i've strictly been using GIMP for about 3-4 years now and ive had a fair amount of success with it, both in personal satisfaction and criticism. but recently, i came across a copy of photoshop cs5 and illustrator cs5....granted, i realize how much more developed and commercially useful these products are, but i am extremely familiar with GIMP and have used it to make over 300 signatures/lps....but lately all ive been using is the smudge tool and photoshop's smudge tool is undeniably 100x better than GIMP's...so anyway, i was hoping to receive some opinions on the issue. any advice is appreciated, thanks!

2. H.I.T

H.I.T Well-Known Member

GIMP users usually tell me (Such as Kalent) that PS is just the same as PS, except there is more features. If you are good with GIMP, then you should be good with PS (supposedly)

3. SiteWhite

SiteWhite Well-Known Member

In my opinion PS. I used GIMP through school and it just wasnt even close to as good as PS. And i can get you a free copy but i dont think i should post the link on the forums anymore or im gonna get kicked off. Email me at [email protected]

4. .entropy

.entropy Senior Member

ps is like.... the updated better version of gimp. by like. far.
    in my personal opinion, im sure some peoples will differ. haha

5. savaii64

savaii64 Member

You get what you pay for, imo.

6. SM Infinity

SM Infinity Senior Member

ok so i made my first tag in ps last night and realized the smudge tool is like, god, lol and thats basically all i ever use so i think im making a permanent transition.

sitewhite, thanks but ive already got photoshop and illustrator cs5...any help on getting familiar with the common tools used to make signatures is appreciated though haha. interface is a bit of a change from GIMP

7. GtG Ghosty

GtG Ghosty Well-Known Member

I prefer PS because it more professional.If your making this change then your gonna realy suck for the first week.I've been gimp 6 years then got my hands on PS5 recently and i've been working realy hard to understand it.i've got most of it down.But any way back to the Gimp V. PS,I say do and if your have the HD (Hard Drive) space then keep gimp.Ps got much more to offer if yuor realy in to GA (graphics art).But if your just doing as a eh... kinda thing then don't do it it takes up to much memory and time. It's up to how you feel about GA.

8. radarfreak

radarfreak Member

PS for me..

9. SiteWhite

SiteWhite Well-Known Member

Like I said Photoshop by far! Really superior compared to GIMP. No offence to GIMP users but i use to be you and you should definitely change!

10. .HaVoC.

.HaVoC. ┌∩┐(-_-)┌∩┐

GIMP is the poor man's Photoshop. Photoshop has been and will forever be better than GIMP so if you can get PS, use it.

11. Yard

Yard Junior Member

I would prefer photoshop for the simple reason is that it is used commercially. If you wish to pursue design, you would most probably need to use photoshop. Also, GIMP lacks features in comparison to photoshop. Give photoshop a try, you won't regret it.

12. Korriban

Korriban Active Member

I've used photoshop only once before, and when i did it was definitely easier to do what needed to be done, although im using GIMP a.t.m., i am going to get photoshop soon.

13. 1Tim3

1Tim3 Well-Known Member

I started with photoshop, but since I have given up on windows as a reliably operating system and moved to Linux, I've been using GIMP a lot more. The most frustrating thing is knowing I am able to do something in photoshop, but not knowing how to do it in GIMP. And the keyboard shortcuts. Can we please come up with standardized shortcut keys for all graphical editors.

14. Kay87

Kay87 Well-Known Member

ah now GIMP is better, every1 says PS can do this that and the other. but i use PS files and plug-ins in my gimp. so anything PS can do Gimp can do.

though i agree PS smudge tool is better, just not that same in gimp -.-

also photoshop will allow you to apply multiple effects at once. so PS is better in those areas, but for its price its not worth it for its little extras it has over gimp imo

15. Chiddy

Chiddy Well-Known Member

Is this really a topic? Photoshop :P