Photography Portfolio

Discussion in 'Photography' started by }SoC{SainT, Mar 5, 2009.

Sponsored By: BAK Factory Outlet
  1. }SoC{SainT

}SoC{SainT Well-Known Member

Well, maybe not my pr0fessional portfolio (in the works!), but it's a lot of my work all the same. I figure that if I'm going to be involved in the photography aspect of this site, I should probably post links to some of my stuff (especially considering I haven't shared in here for a while). This isn't even half of my deviantart gallery, so if you want to view the rest, please go to http://socsaint.deviantart.com :)

--

Animals:
    I See You
    Sight (newish)

City:
    Up High (newish)
    Windows (newish)

Cityscapes:
    Hawthorne Bridge
    Portland
    Home Sweet Home (new)

Hands Series:
    Hands

Interior:
    Pioneer Place
    Pioneer Skyway (newish)

Objects:
    Broadcasting
    Color
    Wacom Tablet
    Reel
    Tieline
    Netting (new)

People:
    Tired (new)

Portraits:
    bluwaeughwa
    Brittany 01
    Dead?
    Joe
    Monique 01
    Monique 02
    Monique 03
    Monique 04
    Sophistimicated (Me)
    Wheat Thins Anyone?

Shape Series:
    Shape (new)

Sky:
    Crown Point Sunset

Sports:
    Burnside Skatepark 1
    Burnside Skatepark 2
    Burnside Skatepark 3
    Burnside Skatepark 4
    Class
    Face Your Fears
    Rider

Transportation:
    Red Sky

Weather:
    Frozen in Time
    Family of Shopping Carts
    Hungry
    Icicles
    One Thing Never Changes
    Snowfall
    Temporary Burial

2. Sock

Sock Well-Known Member

I only looked at "Up High" and I really liked it.

Is that San Francisco?

3. }SoC{SainT

Nope. It's downtown Portland, OR. From some random parking garage. I think it's where the street car converges with the light rail system, hence all those tracks. Glad you liked it :D

I didn't really expect anyone to look through them all either :P. Too many photos, I wouldn't even look through most of them myself.

4. jamesx

jamesx Well-Known Member

Well, I looked through all of them.
    Your city and interior shots seem to be the best, it's like you have an eye for architecture. Your portraits aren't bad either, but some seem to look more like snapshots rather than photographs.
    Also, your sports shots don't seem too great, maybe it's just not your thing, as I said, I think you're more of an architectural photographer.

I'm going to college for photography, and I hope you are/will be, because you seem to enjoy it. :D

5. }SoC{SainT

I'm studying it right now :). Next term we're going to be focusing on the studio and using lighting equipment (white lightning! yay!), while this term was my teacher getting a feel for our skill and teaching on color management.

The reason my sports seems lacking is because I've only ever shot sports twice :lol:. None of it recently. And the skateboarding was underneath a bridge with bad lighting. And my lenses are unreliable for autofocus *sigh*

I don't know that I have an eye for architecture, but I like to tell myself I have an eye for lines and shapes. I really enjoy taking pictures that focus more on the basic elements than anything. That's what my final project is on, actually :). Portrait-wise, I wanna make them look nice, tell something about them, and keep it natural. I hate being posed, and I hate posing, so I just wait for them to do something (which they tend to do, since we're friends :D). Only partially-posed picture was my friend Monique peeking from the tree :). Still need to practice working with people, I'll admit.

I think it would be fun to take pictures for realtors too. But they tend to hire the cheapest person they can find, and I'm not going to sell myself out by pricing low... a lot of times they even take the photos themselves. With a point and shoot. I shudder to think of the number of homes that go unsold for that reason.

Right now I'm waiting for my friend to get back to me on wedding photography. He wants to do video for weddings to earn some cash, and he's looking into it for me too. So I might be a wedding photographer soon. Hopefully. I'm going to try to shadow my cousin at my friend's wedding too, so we'll see how that goes.

6. jamesx

jamesx Well-Known Member

Wedding photography is a hard business to get into, lol. My photography teacher used to be one and he was saying there are soooo many, and it's hard to get jobs sometimes. But when you do get a job, it's big money, sometimes up to like $5,000 or more.

7. kohere

kohere Well-Known Member

You have a lot of great, ----- looking pictures. Your photograph "Crown Point Sunset" is my favorite! I've always wondered (and sorry if this sounds really dumb, I don't know that much about photography) how you are able to make such panoramic shots? I read that you used 4 pictures to make the final piece. Do you just sit your camera on a tripod and then move the camera to the left or right a little bit to get the next shot? And then merge them together in Photoshop? I'd really like to take a wide-shot photograph like this someday. I hope you continue to take such great pictures, you have a real talent for doing it!

8. jamesx

jamesx Well-Known Member

You do exactly what you said, or you can use a program called Photostitch.

9. }SoC{SainT

This was before I knew about this, but Photoshop has an automated feature called "photomerge". You select the photos you want to merge, tell Photoshop what perspective you want it done in, and it will orient the photos and blend them together for you. It makes mistakes, but they're really easy to fix. Easier than doing it yourself. :) Sometimes I will still manually merge, but that's if Photoshop is doing something I don't like. "Pioneer Skyway" was a manual merge, since I saw a shortcut that Photoshop wouldn't take advantage of, and it was easier to do that than fix Photoshop's mistakes.

I use a tripod unless I absolutely can't (one event, I took a pan shot of all the attendees, but was standing on a wall, so the tripod thing didn't quite work).

Edit~
    -whoops, never mind. Apparently I'm mixing up two different shots. I've done another panoramic shot from the same spot with a different camera. This was with the D40. Still a manual merge :)

10. kohere

kohere Well-Known Member

Awesome! Can't wait it give it a try, thank you for information socsaint. :)

11. }SoC{SainT

http://www.doubleexposure.com/Sammon_Panorama.shtml

Just make sure to look for random lines that don't match up, and floating heads if there's people.

This was done with photomerge (3 or 4 photos). Only one or two areas were fixed up. Had a floating leg and half a head, but you can see that Photoshop did an excellent job :) (I was so sad to see that the photos turned out blurred, mostly the fault of a bad lens :( )

EDIT:
    Just added Home Sweet Home, which was a photo merge using 8 different photos. Once you get to a near 360 degrees, Photoshop will start making mistakes at the edge. Lots of distortion, and PS doesn't know what to do with it. Had to do a lot of work on the left, but barely any work anywhere else.

12. fengyu99

fengyu99 Banned from GR

As a result of everyone to Buy WOW Gold, it is quite possible a

competitor or critic can use Marginize to questions about your business or services to raise - that

is exactly what is happening elsewhere to find. For this reason, I recommend to say about their own

company or brand online that every entrepreneur to start a website with free Marginize browser to

see add-on or Gold for WOW Gold market , what will be. Access

to this type of information allows Aion Leveling, in

real-time problems and opportunities on your own terms, as opposed to remaining ignorant to the fact

that both helpful and harmful dialogue takes place address. While Marginize is currently focused on

the Buy Aion Gold of content Twitter, I would not be

surprised if in the coming months we will see content from Yelp, StumbleUpon and other user-

generated recommendation emngines that are free to WOW Power

Leveling
    information to make for the public use their Marginize way in the stream.

13. GoogleGod

GoogleGod Well-Known Member

Love "tired!"

14. marcio772

marcio772 Active Member

Thanks. All images are awesome.