What Is A Home Server?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by pimpy101, Jun 26, 2006.

1. pimpy101

pimpy101 Well-Known Member

Hey, what's a home server? I hear a lot of people talk about it, and I believe it's a key feature, windows XP pro, has a home server *something like that* and also what's a server a lone.... This all confuses me, when you play online games can you make your own server? Why do you pay for other people to host your server? What would there computers have to do with there internet speed.. Also, a server is what hostes the web site? Sorry just it confuses me to death lol

thanks in advance

2. Wolf

Wolf Well-Known Member

A home server would allow you to host websites on your own computer. Xp pro allows you to do this by install IIS. You would pay a se[erate company to host your gameserver because they have much higher internet speeds which means that there is less lag.

3. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

a home server require a dedicated high speed connection with good upload rates(shared t1 starts at $100 a month, $300 for dedicated), a decent OS (not windows XP) software, a lot of configureation, and if it's to receive any activity, a fast harddrive array, a lot of ram, and a large SMP configuration. Servers need to be stable and able o take the heat, typically ones standard desktop doesn't. That celleron D will crash after 20 hours of extremely load, so will that overclocked athlon. I wouldn't trust my system at stock to be stable nough for server use, and my processor is increadibly stable(at stock voltage and settings atleast).

now... why would anyone pay a few dollars a month for a fraction of such said $3000-10,000 low-end server(which will become obsolete within 2-3 years if not sooner) in addition the money for a dedicated connection.

what XP integrates is only acceptabel for very small scale opterations, perhaps using it as a file server for personal use.

4. Wolf

Wolf Well-Known Member

You dont need all that to run a home server. You can just operate a basic one from your home pc by installing apache of IIS.

5. xlink

he asked why peopel would pay a monthly fee to provide a server and I gave a legitimate answer. Again, what's integrated into XP along with a standard desktop isn't suitable for sustained long term heavy useage, and using a home computer to host a large game isn't an option.

check sun's website, their lowend servers start in the thousands, midend in the tens and hundreds of thousand and their highend servers all exceed a million.

6. pimpy101

thanks, I understand why someone would pay now (ty xelink), 1 more question, wolf you said you could host your own website with your own comp i'm not really familiar what that means, can you explain please, this is what i understand of that, you pay for your .com or whatever then yeah im confused already :rolleyes:

7. xlink

you would still have to pay for a domain(.com, .net etc) unles syou know something I don't

but you could theoretically host your won site, it just wouldn't be efficient or up that much, how many times have you had windows crash then multiply that by the simple act that you're pushing your hardware a lot harder(assuming the site wa sunderloa constantly). Take GR for example, with the exception of midnight to 6am for me, the site is under ehavy load and is either slow or isn't all too stable. cost is prohibitive of fixing that. theyy could buy their own server, but that would have the issues of having a tremendou s upfront cost and if needs ever incresed it would suck...

8. BananaFX

BananaFX Well-Known Member

if you are really insitent on using your home computer for hosting and are not *nix friendly but want to run dynamic. database-driven websites then i reccomend finding a wamp setup installer :D
    Check wikipedia to learn more about wamp if you aren't familiar, of course if you don't know what it is you won't need it ^^, probably still easier then a custom apache install because of the install scripts to setup our config files...

9. pimpy101

thanks xelink, and banana lol yeah bro I don't know what you're talking about :lol:

10. BananaFX

BananaFX Well-Known Member

disregard what I said then hehe ^^