Possible End-of-year Pc Or Early Next Year

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by [B.C.] uLTIMA, Oct 1, 2006.

1. [B.C.] uLTIMA

[B.C.] uLTIMA Well-Known Member

35% photoshop , 35% gaming , 30% surfing net , 0% Overclock , but maybe long hours of download
    Any good builds? If I really need a budget...1500USD.Possibly will get one next month or end of this year or early next year.

I want it to last at least 3-4 years. I'm sick of 256MB RAM and a crappy AGP GeForce 4400MX. Any more info I must say? I was looking at the CoolerMaster Mystique 632 casing , looks cool. If not , some really casing maybe with LED or alien design. Not too expensive though.

2. XMasterX

XMasterX Well-Known Member

ROFL, i feel you, mate.

1. do you need a monitor/keyboard/mouse?

2. do you have your own copy of XP?

I'll look around, see what I can pick up for ya.

3. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

if you go early next year get an e4300 and bump the FSB to 1066, it's not an overclock, it's a justifiable increase in performance without cost...

umm...

in full seriousness though ask again in a few months, prices change

4. [B.C.] uLTIMA

Monitor...I got a 17" one , been quite long. LCD.
    Keyboard and mouse , have it.
    XP disc? Yeah , but I'm staring at Vista

5. XMasterX

XMasterX Well-Known Member

*sets Vista on fire* anything else?

heres a basic setup, you can tweak it all you want.

6. [B.C.] uLTIMA

How much in total? I assume not close to 1500 since you didnt include monitor. My speakers are quite fine.

7. xlink

don't bother with vista if you get it legit it will cost you, it will have sketchy driver support and it won't be worth it. upgrade to it in a year...

if you want good bang/$ try c2d allendale e6400 and a gigbyte DS3(need low volt RAM though otherwise no boot), seriously a very easy OC, pretty much just set RAM 1:1 leave it on auto and put FSB to say 366 and you effectively have a x6800...

you could go the mroe expensive route drop 300$ on your board and 30)$ on the CPU, but that money would be better spend on an upgrade down the road.quite seriously though i have issues recomending RAM now, the memory companies are jsut raping you in the ASS nowasdays

8. [B.C.] uLTIMA

Don't really get the technical terms , but maybe Vista will be a next time. I only know FSB..means some serial bus. Don't really get whats that.I'm actually googling the parts on the net. Can't find simple guide to learn computing.

Core 2 Duo Allendale e6400 + Gigabyte DS3 Motherboard right?

9. johndapunk FTW

johndapunk FTW Senior Member

fsb = front side bus

as for your video card, go with the geforce 8600 or an r600, which ever is the cheapest. (the geforce 8600 might be out by black friday, so you might be able to find it on sale o_O)

10. Blooper008

Blooper008 Well-Known Member

I'd say get the DS4, crossfire support(yes, crossfire support), heatpipe solution and you got dual x16 slots. Anyway, my E6400 has a heat spreader problem, i idle around 50C and reach sometimes +65C on TaT&Core Temp when stressed by orthos. Im going to check if the heat spreader is straight and then test the temps again...

11. turkishgold11

turkishgold11 Well-Known Member

Well if you are looking or parts for you compy look no further than newegg.com.

Let me see if I can get you set up with something along the lines of what xelink is talking about.

Proc: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819115004 (224.00)
    Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813128018 (146.99)
    Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16811156063 (79.99)
    HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16822148144 (79.99)
    PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817194003 (109.99 with a 10.00 MIR)

Well all you need are a few more things such as RAM, but honestly I am with xelink on this one, they are rapeing you right now for prices. Looking into getting a dx-10 vid card if you are going to wait, because if you are going to be useing this compy for abouyt 3-4 yrs you might as well have the most up to date card you can get. The only other thing I can think of that you might still need is a DVD/CD drive, floppy drive (which you ca just take out of you old system), maybe a sound card if onboard sound doesn't cut it for you, and possibly a better HSF if you ever think about OCing you system.

I will let some one like xelink or john take care of setting you up with ram, but honestly if you are going to wait a few months it is rather poinless telling you what to get now when every thing changes by the month pretty much.

12. xlink

you would probablyu want a 965P insteed fo a 965G, unless you really need the INT GFX, thoughif you wnat to, getting a 965G and waiting out R600 or G80 isn't necessarily a bad idea.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813128012

and again for RAM, no idea, I am just personally cringing when i look at the prices...

also, isn't the dss4 965P how does it have sli/CF?
    and again it does nto clock as well and you can't put fans where the heatpipes are and the heatpipes get in the way of some coolers.

13. [B.C.] uLTIMA

I trust xelink more than anyone , too bad newegg doesn't ship here. By the time any new parts are being released , it's few months later til it hits Singapore. I don't use floppy and OC , so those doesn't matter. Anyway does Conroe really use less electricity?

Also I think I like Crossfire more than nVIDIA. nVIDIA feels like a powerful brand but expensive and ATi feels more on the budget and not too much power. The GeForce 8 series would probably be expensive , is ATi releasing something with this power? Unless R600 is ATi. Still any good DX10 cards I guess.

Taking a look at both mobos , and I'm getting the one with more reviews , the 965P..

So....
    Processor : Conroe E6400 Allendale 2.13GHz LGA 775
    Mobo : Gigabyte GA-965P DS3 LGA 775
    Casing : I don't like the word smilodon on it for some reason , probably the Mystique 632 CoolerMaster
    HDD : Not decided , but definitely around 100-200 , I don't need more than that.
    PSU : I saw the Antec and Enermax to be meant for SLi , do I have something towards Crossfire?
    Cooling Fan : ??? I need one which I can let it stay for very long hours when downloading/uploading and etc.

Anymore thing I missed?

14. xlink

conroe/allendale does

and i dont' care what anyone says, conroe is meant for OCing

you go to an OCing forum and you brag about getting to 3.0GHz and peopel will laugh, a 4.0GHz clock is considered to be good for conroe, 3.0 is nothing.

IMO it isn't overclocking, it is un-undercloclocking... for core 2 atleast. stock voltage primes 24/7 stable no issues whatsoever at 3.07GHz only thing holding me back is my motherbaord. and for the record, everytime I OC a part, i intend it to last for 3 years heavy useage, 5+ moderate/light. right now ona cool day i idle under 30C and load under 45C so i don't have any issues whatsoever since I have another 40C 60F before intel says i need to worry(85C is intel's claimed failure point) and here si a crazy thing, it is impossible to prove that you overclocked a component... at this moment, every single voltage setting is at ti's lowest allow in my motherboards BIOS. if you don't overclock, atleast undervolt if possible. or both.. atleast leave the option of OCing open in the future though(i'll admit at the present it really isn't that necessary jus tkidna nice to get a good 40-50% performance increase for free)
    http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=118017

and out of curiosuity, why does it take longer to hit singapore, aren't most parts made in that general area? like malaysia...

if you really don't insist on OCing stock cooling will be more than sufficient, Core 2s are made with a lot of the same technology put into the Pentium Ds so they are VERY HEAT RESISTANT. a lot of people OC them with just the stock cooler. if you realy want the best though, scythe infinity is moee or less the best aircooling out there, if you add a ducting system, you could probably even run passive, i noticed that when i turned my fan off, temps only rose like 3 degrees for me.

also, the DS3 doesn't support SLI/crossfire, check into another baord for that has a 975X chipset, maybe DFI Infinity 975X/G or MSI platinum, both need bios revisions with a 1333strap though...

15. [B.C.] uLTIMA

Just curious about the SLi and CF part. Unneeccesary though.
    Although , I read that OC can kill PCs. Maybe I could try..but not too much , because it needs serious cooling and I don't wish to spend too much cash. I want a quiet PC so it won't bother me when I sleep in case I need serious uploading or downloading. HDD wise , I got an external. OC is fine with me but to a small extend. Is OC safe these days?

Sometimes it takes longer to hit Singapore , depending on the product but it took a few weeks for Core 2 Duo to arrive.