Dvd Copying

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Wynter, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Wynter

Wynter Senior Member

Hey folks, I have some DVD's which I want to back up because for some reason they keep getting scratched and I dont want to have to buy new copies if they decide to stop working.. I have a DVD writer, and some blank DVD's, and a seperate DVD drive to read the discs..

Now, does anyone know of any free software which would copy the discs, regardless of whether they have something to block them bieng copied or not? Any help is greatly appreciated :)

2. Geko-Slave

Geko-Slave Senior Member

you carnt get past copy right but there isnt much decent free software i have nero 8

3. Leetsauce

Leetsauce Well-Known Member

Yes, you can get past it, with a free program. But, the prog was pulled following a lawsuit from Sony. Plus, even if you own legal copies, its borderline illegal

4. Wynter

Wynter Senior Member

Yeah, i'm not planning on doing anything illegal though.. I just need to back these up so if they do ------ up, I will still be able to watch them :)

5. SM RxBandits

SM RxBandits Senior Member

my honest suggestion is to buy a good DVD player that doesnt scratch the disks. i have over 900 dvds and have no backups because i have a DVD player that works.

6. Wynter

Wynter Senior Member

my dvd player works fine, but thanks for the holier than thou tone ;) i have several younger children in my family that for some reason love to play with the discs, and they are all kept in a cupboard which is fairly low since there is no room for them elsewhere.. rather than getting a new cupboard or something to put them in, i thought this method would be easier ;)

7. retal

retal Senior Member

lock up the cupboard with a lock =P

8. K4D

K4D Well-Known Member

you can use:

http://www.pqdvd.com/

but when it converts it it's a low resolution because these are meant to go on your ipod...

or you can use

http://www.alcohol-soft.com/

i've tried both, they both work good, I think alchol soft has a trial and so does pqdvd (mabye) , but to buy them they are both about $30 i think
    i don't know of any good free software though
    but you can just use AS if you only have a few you want to back up just right now, because it will save it as an .iso and there are tons of free programs that can handle that file type and burn it back on a dvd

9. Wynter

Wynter Senior Member

Thank you K4D, yeah, I only need to backup around 5 of them for now as they are pretty scratched, the rest can wait for a bit i reckon.. thanks for the help to everyone :)

10. -=DaRKSTaR=-

-=DaRKSTaR=- Senior Member